Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Attaching wood trim to dash

Six-Shooter

Any ideas on how to best attach a piece of wood trim (37 1/2" x 1") along the top of my T-bucket's dash board (which is made of brushed aluminum)? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 100_2949 (640x480).jpg
    100_2949 (640x480).jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 89
Adhesive or drill holes & run screws in from the backside.

Look for "Amazing Goop" automotive adhesive at your local auto parts store. It's clear and will stick anything to anything! Put a little on and tape or clamp the wood in place for about 24 hours. Make sure you get it positioned correctly because the only way you'll get it off is to cut it off... in pieces.:D

Have you considered doing an "engine turned" finish on that aluminum? Here's a pic of my firewall that I engine turned. It was a method used a lot on old race cars.:cool:

Attachments

• DCP03088.JPG
    DCP03088.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 67
Here is an example of engine turning on the dash panel like "meangreen" suggested.

IMG_2906.jpg

Jim

Jim, is your dash commercially done? It's a beautiful piece...

I did my firewall with a 1 inch diameter wire brush on a cordless electric drill. I have used this treatment many times over the years on several different things (side panels on my son's Quarter-midget, firewall on my old C-Cab, the dash in my stock car, etc). If you're interested, you can read how I do it here:
http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-talk/30400-another-build-thread-yep-my-track-style-t-27.html
I also recommend a good clearcoat over the brushed aluminum. It helps the aluminum keep its shine and makes it easier to keep clean.:D

Jim, is your dash commercially done? It's a beautiful piece...

I did my firewall with a 1 inch diameter wire brush on a cordless electric drill. I have used this treatment many times over the years on several different things (side panels on my son's Quarter-midget, firewall on my old C-Cab, the dash in my stock car, etc). If you're interested, you can read how I do it here:
http://www.clubhotrod.com/hot-rod-talk/30400-another-build-thread-yep-my-track-style-t-27.html
I also recommend a good clearcoat over the brushed aluminum. It helps the aluminum keep its shine and makes it easier to keep clean.:D

I bought that piece from Speedway. I just had to cut it to fit and drill out the holes. I had started making a jig to do it on my small drill press but before I got done with it, Speedway came out with exactly what I needed.

Jim

The method I used years ago doing van conversions was to use a Forstner drill bit to put shallow circular depressions in the back side of the wood. Then glue one side of circular Velcro "buttons" in the depressions. Once those have dried, a dab of glue on the exposed back side of each Velcro button, then brace/clamp the whole assembly in place. Just do a bit of trial and error with a piece of scrap wood and spare Velcro buttons to get the right depth to drill out with the Forstner bit, so that the gap between the wood and what you are mounting it to is minimal.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back