Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

Well, like my first build, things can move very quickly or very slowly. Right now, I'm in slowly mode. So what to do? PLAN! I've figured out how I want to run my brake lines and I think they'll look and work great. Once the over time at work let's off a little, I'll have more time and money saved to start moving quickly again. The next update should be my front suspension basically completed. Stay tuned.

Oh....... I'm sticking with the name "Black Dahlia". As things progress, you'll see why.

You are killing me ...... the suspense is at an all time high!!! :whistling:

You are killing me ...... the suspense is at an all time high!!! :whistling:

Naw...... it isn't that mysterious. But it's going to be sweet. Imagine you're a guy in the 50's and you get time warped to 2016. What kind of car would you build that embraced what you know from the 50's and would make use of the new technology of 2016?

One thing's for sure. You sure as hell wouldn't have cup holders in it.

Naw...... it isn't that mysterious. But it's going to be sweet. Imagine you're a guy in the 50's and you get time warped to 2016. What kind of car would you build that embraced what you know from the 50's and would make use of the new technology of 2016?

Either a T-Bucket of course or a '32 ford. :D

Except for not having a cup holder, that's kind of the theme I'm shooting for. Most of my hot rod influence comes from my uncle's old hot rod magazines from the 1950s, when I was a kid in the early '60s. Between then and around 3 years ago when I started planning this build, I was pretty much oblivious to what was going on in the hot rod world. Looking back at what went on during those lost years I did not see much that caught my eye. My favorite hot rod did not not change from back when I was a kid. The bobtail T called Tweedy Pie, which was built in the mid to late '50s, is the visual theme for my build.
Tweedy Pie.jpg
On the mechanical side, I'm throwing out the old book...and for the most part the current book. I'm building with modern, but not necessarily current hot rod conventional components.

I'm hoping the mix of old and new will result in old school cool, with modern comfort, driveability, and reliability.

Either a T-Bucket of course or a '32 ford. :D

I think a guy from the 50's would look at the prices on Deuce stuff and think those guys are nuts.

So, here's what I got today. Spring pivots (set at 5*), stainless shackles, leaf spring, shocks and mounts (not pictured) and spring clamps (not pictured).

full

full

What's really cool, is that the shocks and spring are already black........ "BLACK DAHLIA". Once I make sure everything is going to go as planned, it'll all come apart and the "bones, pivots and axle will get paint.

Feeling groovy on a Friday eve.

You'll also noticed, I got bored and used a little filler in the front joints, where the rails meet the cross member. Smooth as silk.

Looks like the spring is too long...
dave

As I stated earlier, nothing is tightened down yet. But if it is..... and that's big butt... I'll get one that does fit...... thanks for paying attention.

Note to Fred:: I ran into Thomas the other day. Doing well and a said tell you Hi. Thinking of getting another Bucket. Said he misses them.

Reactions: RPM
Note to Fred:: I ran into Thomas the other day. Doing well and a said tell you Hi. Thinking of getting another Bucket. Said he misses them.

Wow! I hope he's doing well. He should check in. I remember when he, I and a few others were the only members here.

Looks like the spring is too long...
dave

There... couldn't sleep last night, so...... a 2am thrashing to tighten things up for a real perspective.

full

Better? On a note about the shocks. I mocked up the shocks and mount and it seems I ordered the wrong ones. The shocks I have are too long, so I'll be swapping them out. It's actually kinda funny. Speedway lists a "short shock", so that's what I ordered. What I failed to notice, was their "T Bucket" shock. The one's I needed. Just wasn't paying attention or maybe over thinking it.

Last edited:
Oh...... by the way........ IT'S NOT DONE! I still have things to do. Remember........IT'S NOT DONE! This car is NOT finished. The popcorn got way too cold and I tossed it out. But I can make more, if and when I need to.

Set my shock/headlight brackets in place and my conclusion was that I'll be welding them on, instead of bolting them on. I just can't get over the gap where they join the frame rail. So, when I'm ready, I'll weld them in place and fill the gaps.

I'm REALLY loving the look.

full

I like it.....it looks like a double image! The axle and shock mounts have a very similar curve.

I like it.....it looks like a double image! The axle and shock mounts have a very similar curve.

Wow! You know what? I been staring at the setup and never noticed that. Cool!

Also......Thanks, 2OLD2Fast and everyone else who said the spring/shackle set up was wrong. I learned a little lesson and for that I'm thankful.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back