Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

On a side rant.... I arrived at Discount Tire at 8:05am. I was the 3rd customer in line. I had my wheels and all I needed was the 2 tires mounted and balanced. I sat down and started reading a magazine. During that time, a few more people showed up needing all new tires, etc. After an HOUR and watching a few customers leave, I went to see if there was a problem. Didn't see where the guy had set my tires, so I sat back down. A few more minutes later, I get up to check again. Now, I'm kinda concerned. A clerk sees me and comes out with my tires. As I'm setting them in the trunk of my car, something didn't look right.

On one wheel, the chrome valve stem I gave them was replaced with a plain rubber one and on the other wheel, they had replaced the chrome cap on my valve stem with a rubber cap. So, I roll them back to the garage and the guy who did my tires says, "Is there a problem?". Kinda smug little snot. I showed him the problem, he shrugs his head and walks off! Now... the coffee kicking in... I'm getting pissed. Time to get a manager. He comes out and when he sees the situation, he promptly rolls them inside and fixes me up.

It took an hour and 20 minutes to mount and balance 2 tires! At $16 per wheel! So that's $16 to put a NEW, clean tire on a NEW, clean wheel. He didn't even get dirty! The guy who did my tires was about 20 years old. Yea, I get it's a thankless job bit, but I went in the morning, when it was cooler out (it's 95 degrees now) and I was very compliant. Has pride in one's job just completely gone to the toilet? In my teens, I worked in a garage and it would take 10 minutes to do a tire job. WTF? Over an hour and still not done right?

Last edited:
Well Fred, could it be that the color of your skin had any thing to do with it? If that is the first time you went into that tire store then I would never go back. If it is a "corporate" tire store then a stinging letter of complaint is in order to upper management (along with never going back).
Third in, third out. No ifs, ands or buts. Be sure to name names, have times and and ask for refund.

Aint right. John

Still steamed. You're a better man than I am.

Last edited:
Well Fred, could it be that the color of your skin had any thing to do with it? If that is the first time you went into that tire store then I would never go back. If it is a "corporate" tire store then a stinging letter of complaint is in order to upper management (along with never going back).
Third in, third out. No ifs, ands or buts. Be sure to name names, have times and and ask for refund.

Aint right, John

Nope. The customers were mixed. That one employee was maybe having a bad day? Who knows, but I won't go back.There's another store a half mile away. My fear was that they would scratch the powder coating. Then... well let's just say it would not have been good for all involved.

Got my tires and they're mounted on wheels, ready to go. But.... my land lord has a couple cars blocking my car in, so it'll be a while before I can mount them on my car.:mad: I can wait. The rear tires cost me a tad more than what I wanted to pay for used, but for some reason the size I wanted was scarce. Most places didn't have them and one place that did, only had one.

I had just about given up and was heading home, trying to figure what two new ones would set me back. Then, out the corner of my eye, I spotted a mechanic shop, with a home made "Used Tires for Sale" sign. I slammed on the brakes, literally, and whipped in. I told the guy what I wanted and he said I was lucky. He not only had two, but they matched and had a great amount of thread on them. SOLD!:rolleyes:

I had gotten the two front tires from Discount Tire and had them mount them. Amazingly, they balanced with no weights needed. I was watching and the guy ran it twice with the same results. Sweet. The rears required a "normal" amount of weight, which doesn't bother me. But with that, I hate the look of weights on a custom wheel. Even the thin stick on type. So, the beauty rings will serve another purpose other than looking pretty. They'll cover those gray weights!

All in all, it was a nice morning. I can't believe I'll have a roller soon. I seriously need the motivation and having my project in roller status will have me feeling good. Thanks everyone for hanging in there with me. I'm 1/4 there!
Why not mount the weights on the inside of the wheel like we do with billet wheels? It works quite well as I've done many vehicles like that including my three present rides.

Jim

Why not mount the weights on the inside of the wheel like we do with billet wheels? It works quite well as I've done many vehicles like that including my three present rides.

Jim

There are a couple small ones on the inside too! On each wheel. I'm not worried. The beauty rings, like on my old T, will cover them. Worse case scenario, I'l paint them black.

Here's how I came to choose the sizes I went with.

Here's that T Bucket with a CCR stretched body, like I'll be using. The front tires are 195/60/15 (24.2"). The rears are 275/60/15 (28"). That's difference of 3.8". Notice how subtle the rake is? That's what I'm looking for. My tires are 165/80/15 (25.4") and 235/75/15 (28.9"). a difference of 3.5". I'm hoping my frame and body sit a little lower in the rear. If it does, I think I'm well into the ball park, profile wise.

View attachment 13675
The 195 and 275 is the exact combo that I ran for a few years on my T before switching to the 155/80 and 28570's that I've been running for the last few years. I also switched the front wheels from 15"x6" to 15"x41/2" rims also but the rears remain 15"x10",

jim

Weights on both sides of the rim means they have done a dynamic balance possible. On the narrow wheel doesn't really make much difference, but on a wide wheel like we tend to run on the back might make a noticeable difference. Of course your mileage may vary, and the wider the wheel the more difference there will be.

On a side rant.... I arrived at Discount Tire at 8:05am. I was the 3rd customer in line. I had my wheels and all I needed was the 2 tires mounted and balanced. I sat down and started reading a magazine. During that time, a few more people showed up needing all new tires, etc. After an HOUR and watching a few customers leave, I went to see if there was a problem. Didn't see where the guy had set my tires, so I sat back down. A few more minutes later, I get up to check again. Now, I'm kinda concerned. A clerk sees me and comes out with my tires. As I'm setting them in the trunk of my car, something didn't look right.

On one wheel, the chrome valve stem I gave them was replaced with a plain rubber one and on the other wheel, they had replaced the chrome cap on my valve stem with a rubber cap. So, I roll them back to the garage and the guy who did my tires says, "Is there a problem?". Kinda smug little snot. I showed him the problem, he shrugs his head and walks off! Now... the coffee kicking in... I'm getting pissed. Time to get a manager. He comes out and when he sees the situation, he promptly rolls them inside and fixes me up.

It took an hour and 20 minutes to mount and balance 2 tires! At $16 per wheel! So that's $16 to put a NEW, clean tire on a NEW, clean wheel. He didn't even get dirty! The guy who did my tires was about 20 years old. Yea, I get it's a thankless job bit, but I went in the morning, when it was cooler out (it's 95 degrees now) and I was very compliant. Has pride in one's job just completely gone to the toilet? In my teens, I worked in a garage and it would take 10 minutes to do a tire job. WTF? Over an hour and still not done right?
That's enough to piss off the Pope!

Jim

That's enough to piss off the Pope!

Jim

I'm fairly sure the manager took action or at least I hope so. He was dressed like he rarely did grunt work. No matter, I won't be back.

Roller!:D

full

full

full

Beauty rings in a few weeks.

full

Rings will look great with all that black to show them off.

Got off work and rolled her into the sunlight.

Yep... beauty rings are in the near future.

full

full

full

full

full

I've got a cool rear end cover in the works, too.;)

full

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back