Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body Dimensions

Hey all, I am kinda new to the T bucket but I am planning on building one from scratch. I just can't seem to find any body dimensions. I have the frame dimensions. Any help would be great!

what do ya need?? i have a '19 roadster body all in pieces.

Ron

well I have nothing to go by so anything you can give me would be a start. I plan one building this from sheet metal and sense I don't have a buck or something to follow I'm lost.

most all the panels would be doable except for the cowl top. that you can find on e-bay all day long. that leaves you with the drivers side panel, the passenger side pannel ( would make that in two pieces ), the door and the rear panel. the inside bracing pieces you can fab anyway you want or are able to. i would start with the rear panel. with that fabbed and the cowl top, the sides would be easy to build ,like filling in the gaps.

i made a '29 sedan into a roaster pick up. the two most helpfull tools i had were a 4' beam compass for checking like measurements and an internal fixture made from 3/4" sq. tubing. i made the fixture like a box frame and then welded pieces of tubing to it to pick up like measurements off the panels. just make sure the frame work is very square. when you're dealing with compound curves, a 1/16" can throw everything out of plumb real quick.

one more word of caution ... be prepared for requests for panels from some of the members here.

this sounds like a fun project. keep me posted. i'll help anyway i can.

Ron

No kidding about the 1/16 off!!! I build tube chassis and if I am off even by a 1/32 10 feet down the line its off BAD!!!

"be prepared for requests for panels from some of the members here."

Not a problem haha, once I draw it all up on my CNC machine cutting them out is only seconds.

I was really wanting to build the cowl myself. I'm sure I can just didn't know the measurements. I figured I would give that a try first and if I fail then buy one haha.:)

the early and late bodies are the same from the dash/front edge of the door back. the firewall is smaller but i can give you those dimentions too.

there are some reversed curves in the cowl top. might be a good idea to pick one up to use with your contour guage.

just as a point of reference, ford used 3/32" plus or minus on body assembly.

if i were going to strech a steel body built from scratch, i would add 2" in front of and behind of the door. then 1" to the door. you will keep the balance of the T body that way.

Ron

Chris@whiterhino said:
Hey all, I am kinda new to the T bucket but I am planning on building one from scratch. I just can't seem to find any body dimensions. I have the frame dimensions. Any help would be great!

About midway down the web page are the dimensions for both of CCR's bodies.

CCR

tdraft2.jpg
tdraft3.jpg

Thanks GT63!!

Now does anyone have pictures of a T Bucket setup correctly with coil overs? I have seem them done incorrectly where they are ugly but I'm looking for something sharp.

Chris, Have you thought about buying a scale model and scaleing it up? With all your CNC stuff you may be able to scan and build.

chris ... look at tbucit or vegas bruce or rooster or duke's cars to mention a few in the gallery. follow one of those and you can't go wrong.

Ron

Youngster said:
chris ... look at tbucit or vegas bruce or rooster or duke's cars to mention a few in the gallery. follow one of those and you can't go wrong.

Ron

This little ol' thing?

TJstruck016.jpg

Thanks Ron :D

yep...that's the one. Becky stole my heart the first time i saw her!!!!

Ron

Thanks Ron, she is a keeper.

Re: Body Dimensions - Monster-T

Check out my "Monster-T" body and bed molds. The body is stretched 18", widened 12", deepened 8", and channeled 7". It will handle full bucket seats on rails or a bench seat. The bed is a 3' x 4' separate mold. Doors can be cut and post can be cut or plugged. It was professionally designed and constructed for a motion picture 15 hrs. ago. The floor mold is separate and all of the molds are polished inside. The completed rod looks like a T-Bucket on steroids. I am not a fiberglass man, therefore, my wife would love to see it go.

Re: Body Dimensions - Coilovers

I don't know if you ment front or rear, but my IRS billet set-up requires 4-coilovers, I had had a lot more than 4 opinions as to spring weight and diameter. Pictured is a photo of the rear setup if it will help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back