Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Brujerizmo..my current project

And by the way fella's..i picked up the Mustang radiator and a few other things needed for my build(thanks to Turlock:D)..look for an update soon.Thanks again to all who chimed in...

Brujerizmo said:
This is exactly why the internet sometimes is a bad thing.Why would you copy someone elses work for your own project?Put on the old thinking cap and come up with your own idea's.If everyone copied other peoples work,this would be very boring in my estimation.Individuality is what makes the hobbie of Hot Rodding fun...:D

Chances are wheelin3's version would end up being somewhat different. I've tried to build a clone of one of my past projects. No matter how hard I try, something is always different. With all the buckets Total has sold, how many of those are identical?

Youngster said:
Chances are wheelin3's version would end up being somewhat different. I've tried to build a clone of one of my past projects. No matter how hard I try, something is always different. With all the buckets Total has sold, how many of those are identical?

Total(to me anyway)is a total "cookie cutter" way to get a car on the road.You can put one of those together with a little elbow grease and a credit card.My car is a non"Total"build where everything is a custom fit and things are actually planned out,tried and tested to make it work.I'm not saying someone who buys a Total setup is lame or anything like that,but it's just not me to throw together a "kit"car and call it my own when there are ton's of other's just like it....

looking REAL good so far :D and the tail light is soooo nice

curious how "tall" your front perch is (from the center of the crossmember tube to the spring surface)

From the crossmember center to spring mount is 4".Thanks for compliments..i'm just glad people like the progress so far...

Brujerizmo said:
Total(to me anyway)is a total "cookie cutter" way to get a car on the road.You can put one of those together with a little elbow grease and a credit card.My car is a non"Total"build where everything is a custom fit and things are actually planned out,tried and tested to make it work.I'm not saying someone who buys a Total setup is lame or anything like that,but it's just not me to throw together a "kit"car and call it my own when there are ton's of other's just like it....

I understand what you're saying. I come from a time when there wasn't a '' kit'' car avalible. We looked at the magazines every month and tried to use what we could, much the same as the home builders do today. Some use the kit cars as a springboard to get into the hobby and on the road. There are those who have built kit cars and as they develope more skills, turn to a home build. That's OK too. I don't care how we keep the spirit alive as long as it lives.

on one hand, i would love it if everyone was building street rods from scratch by digging through jukyards to find 90% of what they need

on the other hand, like youngster said, kits are great options for alot of people. and really, kits arent much different them buying an already completed T .... the hard works done by someone else

i think it was Mike, one of the moderators here, that was saying hes going with the kit from Total because building from scratch isnt an option for him, as he lives in a condo community

for me, i cant stand the idea of buying something i can make, especialy now that i work in a steel fab shop. which is why i have no fear of failure on my current project car :D i have a ton of tools at my disposal, and can borrow anything i can walk out the door with (for the night or the weekend)

other people would have to spend thousands on tools just to have a decent tool set for building a frame and assembling a T bucket

Brujerizmo said:
This is exactly why the internet sometimes is a bad thing.Why would you copy someone elses work for your own project?Put on the old thinking cap and come up with your own idea's.If everyone copied other peoples work,this would be very boring in my estimation.Individuality is what makes the hobbie of Hot Rodding fun...:D

Not to be a smart ass, but aren't you doing the same thing if you use the Mustang radiator idea that a few people on the internet suggested and that quite a few guys are using? Using a suggestion or getting an idea from how someone did something is NOT copying, it's sharing an idea that works. The odds of his work being exactly like yours are small.

tfeverfred said:
Not to be a smart ass, but aren't you doing the same thing if you use the Mustang radiator idea that a few people on the internet suggested and that quite a few guys are using? Using a suggestion or getting an idea from how someone did something is NOT copying, it's sharing an idea that works. The odds of his work being exactly like yours are small.
Following THAT train of thought WE ARE ALL COPY CATS!!!! Who made the first T-Bucket hot rod popular?And how many ideas have we all gotton of Norms creation?I don't buy any of that crap.

Brujerizmo said:

The "kit car" V/S "built" debate has always intrigued me because it's all up to the individual. There is NO really answer as to which is better. Yea, there is a lot to be said for the guy who has a shop, a crap load of tools and years of experience building a car. I commend that effort.

As for the guy who goes with a kit, I have yet to see a "kit" that could be "thrown together". Irregardless of how the pieces and parts were gathered, they still have to be put together and put together right.

Another thing, unless the builder is asked, brags or wears a T-shirt that says, "I did it all by myself!" a lot of people really wouldn't know the difference. I've talked to an older guy who was building hot rods back in the sixties and while he didn't like the kit approach, he also said that it sure would have saved him a bunch of headaches, time and money when he was starting out. he even said for the convinience and accuracy, a built frame made a lot of sense, even for a veteren builder. So, again, matter of opinion.

Last thing, does a part or car project,bought with a credit card on the internet, fit different than one that was found and purchased with cash from a junkyard? And don't most junkyards take plastic too? Yea, there's nothing like the feeling of digging that part out of a bunch of mud and crap, taking it home, massaging it till it's just right, putting it on your car and having it work. There's also nothing better than working your ass off, doing overtime, not going out to have a beer or two and cutting back on "fun stuff", so you can get the money together for the frame of a car you are building in a one car garage,in a neighborhood with deed restrictions. Both ways have merit, it just depends on which side of the fence you're on.

All I know is, I'm going to have fun with my hot rod, street rod, kit car, 1-800 car or whatever phrase is going around that week. Opinions will be taken and filed away as warranted. No harm, no foul from me.

tfeverfred said:

Buying a stock mustang radiator from the store because people use them and taking someone's design idea when building a rearend from scratch is 2 different things(i believe he said"copy").Because other's use '40 ford wheels with white walls does that mean i can't use them?No! Now if someone build's a unique perch and suspension and someone dead on copies it,thats just lame.Take my idea and do something to better it and that's rad...more power to ya.
Maybe i didn't get exactly what was said(or took it the wrong way)but being from an artist background(painting,my other"hobbie")i just will never understand the whole "copy"thing...

I have an artist background as well. Illustration and graphic design and I know what you mean about "copying" ie cpyright. But I really think he was wanting to use your idea, not dead on repeat it. Without supplying him with a schematic or tech drawing, that would be next to impossible. There is a VERY strong possibility that there is a miscommunication issue involved here.

There are a couple people who used my idea for a model A shell and I got the idea from someone else that is a member here. No two are the same, but the idea is.

tfeverfred said:
The "kit car" V/S "built" debate has always intrigued me because it's all up to the individual. There is NO really answer as to which is better. Yea, there is a lot to be said for the guy who has a shop, a crap load of tools and years of experience building a car. I commend that effort.

As for the guy who goes with a kit, I have yet to see a "kit" that could be "thrown together". Irregardless of how the pieces and parts were gathered, they still have to be put together and put together right.

Another thing, unless the builder is asked, brags or wears a T-shirt that says, "I did it all by myself!" a lot of people really wouldn't know the difference. I've talked to an older guy who was building hot rods back in the sixties and while he didn't like the kit approach, he also said that it sure would have saved him a bunch of headaches, time and money when he was starting out. he even said for the convinience and accuracy, a built frame made a lot of sense, even for a veteren builder. So, again, matter of opinion.

Last thing, does a part or car project,bought with a credit card on the internet, fit different than one that was found and purchased with cash from a junkyard? And don't most junkyards take plastic too? Yea, there's nothing like the feeling of digging that part out of a bunch of mud and crap, taking it home, massaging it till it's just right, putting it on your car and having it work. There's also nothing better than working your ass off, doing overtime, not going out to have a beer or two and cutting back on "fun stuff", so you can get the money together for the frame of a car you are building in a one car garage,in a neighborhood with deed restrictions. Both ways have merit, it just depends on which side of the fence you're on.

All I know is, I'm going to have fun with my hot rod, street rod, kit car, 1-800 car or whatever phrase is going around that week. Opinions will be taken and filed away as warranted. No harm, no foul from me.

The whole handmade vs. built debate has been going on since the beginning of the"kit car".I guess it's just a matter of pride in craftsmanship..knowing that me and a few friends built this car with our own idea's and hard work.Everything on this car that can be is custom made.Sure i could have went out or online and bought all the piece's to assembly this car(and sometimes i wish i had..haha)but to me that would have been cheating.I guess thats where me and others differ.

As far as me wearing a shirt that say's"i did it all myself"..take a look at my frame and a couple of cars with Total frame and you'll see(i would hope so anyway)what i'm talking about. Guess which 2 frames will be identical?

And one more thing..I too have built this car in a single car garage.I do not own a shop and have nothing but basic hand tools.If something requires a special tool or has an initial design flaw,it is corrected with my own hands.(Sure,the welding was farmed out no choice,my welds suck..haha)I am far from a master mechanic and work very hard for what i have(which sadly isn't much..haha)...hats off to anyone who can juggle family,work and a passion for these damn cars.Nothing that means that much to a person is easy.....

Again,i'm not trying to start a pissing contest on who's car is better or anything like that.I just took "copy"as just that..and if i'm going overboard,i'm sorry.Happy Hot Rodding to all and be safe...

No worrys, bro. Everybody has their own grove and they have to do what works for them. Personally, I'm glad to able to do what I have, with what I have. Like I alluded to, the kitcar thing will be an issue for some people long after we are worm food.

To me a kitcar will always be a body that you could drop on a VW chassis and call it a day. Of course the guys who built these would more than likely have issue with my thoughts on that as well. Like I also said, there is much merit in BOTH ways of reaching the goal. When I go to a show or cruise, the last thing I think about (and I really never do) is whether or not the owner bought a kit or not. Good fab work speaks for itself. I enjoy seeing the final result no matter what path the owner took to meet it.

My reference to wearing a T-shirt was NOT directed to you personally. I said "builder" in a general term.

well i caused a lot of noise i should clarify what i ment i like what you did with your spring mounts and will try to do somthing like that on mine but it wont be a clone as the rest will be very diferent if only because i am using a 9 inch ford rear and my own hairpins

Ok, now that that's out of the way, Brujerizmo, any up dates on your project?

Thats good to hear,wheelin3..just a simple misunderstanding,no sweat..

To answer your question,Youngster..Yeah,i just got my shifter in the mail yesterday and i pick up the radiator and other misc. stuff next week.This weekend i'm going to the wrecking yard to pick up the driveshaft so i can have it shortened.Once everything is here at "Casa De Brujo" it should only be about another week or 2 before this thing comes alive...I'll keep you guys posted.:welcome:

Cool! I like the direction your build is going. Wouldn't like to see you stop posting.

As much as I tried, I just couldn't stay away from commenting on this one.:welcome:

As much as we all like to think we are creating the most unique car the world has ever seen, the real fact is, everything has been done at least once in the history of hot rodding. I steal ideas all the time, even from my own Son's cars...........I have no shame! :eek: As an example, I saw how my Kid did his front wishbones and copied them almost exactly. They were just what I needed to use on my own car.

I get people all the time asking me to measure this or that on my cars so they can duplicate it, and I'm pretty flattered. I'm not one of these guys who guard a paint code like it was some Government secret. Even the S10 truck crowd has "discovered" body dropping..............we have been calling it channeling since I can remember.

As far as "kit" cars go, I think they make perfect sense for a large number of people. I have always suggested to someone who is new to this hobby to consider one of these. You can get one in any stage of completion, and for some people who do not own tons of welding and fabricating equipment or skills, it enables them to get a car on the road much more quickly than as if they did it from just parts.

Don

Brujerizmo said:

Well I guess some of us aren't as smart as you are Brujerizmo. Sometimes a little help can make our projects go a little faster.:welcome::butt:

thomas:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back