Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

buyer beware

hugahan

I came to this site, during my very first car build, to benefit from the information available here. Most of it was very good information. One bit did not work out so well. I post this only so that others might use it when they make the decisions on their projects. It is not intended to be a popular post, just a factual post.
After finding some nice looking headlight brackets on here, I ordered a set from RPM. They were delivered as promised and well made. A good value in my opinion.
Then, I ordered coilover shocks from RPM.
After waiting two weeks for delivery, I contacted Ron. He told me they had shipped the day before, and that I would see them in a day or two.
After waiting another two weeks, we went thru the same process, same results.
After waiting another 10 days I contacted Ron again. This time he told me he had found them on his desk, and that he would send them out by the end of the day.
A package did arrive as scheduled this time.
Imagine my surprise, when I opened the package to find greasy shocks, no longer in the manufacturer’s packaging, with bushings installed (bushings I did not need).
I contacted Ron yet again. This time, he told me the shocks were almost new – he had just used them on one of his projects in the shop. That’s not new to me.
Ron made no apology for sending shocks he had used, and did not offer me the option of returning them. It was his contention that they were “new”, even though he admitted he had used them in his shop. I was not building a rat rod, so, I returned the shop mule shocks on my dime. I included the original paperwork (may25, using the US postal service) and asked for a refund. Ron did not reply.
After I got notification that my credit card had gotten a credit, I went ahead and ordered, received and installed NEW, UNOPENED, NEVER BEFORE INSTALLED shocks from Speedway Motors. (it turns out, the credit was for another item, not for the shocks)
I continued to contact Ron about a refund for months.
Finally, Ron insisted that the USPS must have lost the returned shocks, and required that I provide a return authorization number (RPM generated number, which he did not give me) and a tracking number from the USPS.
I provided a copy of the USPS mailing receipt. Ron did not request that I send them in any specific manner, and did not provide me with any return numbers. Standard USPS shipping does not include tracking numbers.

Since Ron says he cannot find the returned shocks , so he has refused to refund the purchase price, or to send the new shocks I ordered. (the purchase price was for NEW shocks, I have not gotten any NEW shocks from RPM)
As those of you who have experience in mail order know, when a vendor sends unordered (substantially different than items ordered - USED) parts, the buyer is not even obligated to return the items. (I returned them, because I had no use for used material in my bucket project. The NEW shocks I got from Speedway were fine)

So, if you feel you MUST deal with RPM, be sure to document each step of the process, and be prepared to spend lots of time expediting. Be very careful when you inspect any materials he sends you to be sure you get what you order.

Lesson learned, let the Buyer beware.

WoW,
This is the first negative post I've EVER seen in regards to RPM's service, parts or quality. I've bought several parts from Ron and have been very pleased to say the least. I've only had one issue and that was with tie rod length. I called Ron and explained my problem and Ron went to work right away to find a solution. Ron told me to cut the tie rod down to the correct length and he sent me a tap on his dime. I did as he asked and the part was just as I needed. I honestly believe that if you had a problem with RPM, Ron would have bent over backwards to correct it. Look at his feed back on this site as well as Ebay. The members here and the Ebay feed back ratings speak volumes about Ron and his work.
This part may be hard for you to swallow as it's not intended to be a popular response. You're a new member in my book and this is your first post. I can't believe that you would have the audacity to come here and post such nonsense in your very first post. If you had 100 posts or maybe even 10 you may have a little more ground to stand on. The other thing that just doesn't make any sense to me is you claim this happened around may 25 or before? If I read your factual post correct it took you six months to get angry and vent? You my friend are one patient fellow. Also, since you were once a member here, you would have also known to post this under RPM's sponsor section and not the suspension section.

I think it is BS...
I have ordered way to many parts from RPM with no issues .

This is a bunch of BS and this guy has never posted here before except to come here and stir a bunch of crap. The shocks he got were brand new. We went ahead an pressed in the little sleeve in the shocks so they would be easier to mount. Yea they probably got a greasy finger print on them. He claims he sent them back, I have never seen them and he cannot provide a tracking number. We would have been happy to refund them if we had gotten them back.

I think this thread should be removed. Only a one post tally to complain about an established vendor with an impeccable record , constitutes a troll IMHO.

Removal would be a good idea! Dwight

The only thing I will say is that New is New in factory packaging. The bushings should have been included in the packaging and the shock assemblies should have been packaged and spotless. Sometimes I think Ron will look at something and say its o.k. but a really picky customer will see things differently. Also maybe the shocks were packaged and shipped without Ron final inspecting them. A little work with a clean rag and nicely wrapping the bushings and you have no customer complaints.

As a side note, when I worked for Honda of America, a 93% favorable customer satisfaction rating was considered good. That meant that out of 100 people 93 would be satisfied, the other 7 could not, no matter what. My ratings were always in the 94-95% rating. And I accepted that you can't satisfy everybody.

John

I've got to side with RPM and his satisfied customers on this one. When I received the wrong part one time from Ron, I called him, sent it back and he immediately sent me the right part. I've sent him CAD files for custom parts and have always received what I ordered, quickly and at a very reasonable cost. No complaints here; only a very high recommendation for others to do business with Ron.

OK, let's consider who Ron Pope is. He is the vice-president of the NTBA. He is a sponsor of this site and the NTBA site. He has on numerous occasions jumped in and made up shortfalls of funding for this site. He has donated T parts for charity. He has driven T parts across the country to deliver them personally. He has bailed out people who needed to sell their project quickly. I have known him personally for six years, having met him at the the 2006 NTBA Nats in Mountain Home. He is the most unassuming, gentle, sincere person I know. He has built up a business out of a hobby such that he was able to retire from being a ASE mechanic. Why in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks would Ron risk his reputation over such a trivial issue? I call total BS! Whoever this Hugahan is needs to establish his bona fides before he comes on here in one post and trashes one of our most stalwart hot rod citizens!!

I too have used Ron in the past to buy some brackets. As mentioned above they were plasma cut and with plasma cuts they are not perfect but I think they are priced accordingly for what you get. I spoke with Ron a couple times and he has always been helpful.

That being said there seems to be a problem with the members on this that are ready to form a lynch mob to anyone that says anything negative towards one of the sponsors. I call BS on that. I don't know any business that has never had a problem or a dissatisfied customer no matter how great they may be. That doesn't mean everyone else on the site should attack the poster or their post should be deleted. I have seen plenty of times over the years where a business has gone from great to terrible in a short period of time (I'm definitely not saying that is the case here) and people have gotten screwed because of it but trying to make a point that it is just as unfair to block/delete any negative feedback because Ron is a "good guy". Ron has addressed the post with a simple response saying he never received the shocks and the OP can not provide any documentation that he even shipped them. Sorry hugahan but you are SOL without a receipt whether you were right or wrong. BTW, who ships expensive parts USPS without a tracking number on any type of return? That was a huge screwup on your part.

Just to let everyone know, this thread was reported as being inappropriate and has been requested to be removed. Since I think the overall message of the thread is proving to be quite positive with respect to RPM, I've decided to leave it be.

I'll not mince words here. I consider Ron to be one of this forum's strongest supporters, as well as a good friend. I went through a rather rough patch, these last few months and Ron regularly called me to offer me moral support. It's hard to find friends that will stick with you through the tough times, but Ron did it, willingly. So with that knowledge, anyone might think I would be ready to simply remove this thread, to protect a friend's image. But, to be completely honest, I think all of Ron's satisfied customers can see there is really no need to protect Ron from anything.

But I think the kind words of support that have been given to Ron far outweigh the negatives laid out by the OP. So I am going to leave the thread, as-is. Ron, you seem to be weathering the storm (more like a tempest in a teapot, if you ask me) just fine.

For the record, adding the Delivery Confirmation service to ordinary USPS parcel post costs all of 85¢, so who would ever think to ship anything to anyone without adding that extra service? Common sense being what it is, and all. I admit to being cheap, errrr, frugal, but puhleeze.

Hugahan, how about you tell us the results of the Lost Mail Report you filed with the Postal Inspector? You did file that report, didn't you, since you had that receipt, and all. Surely, you didn't decide to malign anyone's character without following all avenues available to you, did you?

Right on, Ron will work with you on any problem with his parts/service. 1-855-TBUCKET.

Anytime you ship anything anywhere you need to get a tracking number, Hello....

Mike

Fordsbyjay, I hear what you are saying, and in almost all cases you are right on the mark. The issue I have is this is a single poster. Apparently this forum is good enough for him to get the "benefit of the information available here" but not say in a single post anything other than how Ron screwed him over. I say it is what it is--a troll.

I have seen nothing but good responses from other members, which is why i'm buying a body and other parts from Ron.
and by the way, why isn't hugahan responding any more? Just wondering.

I have seen nothing but good responses from other members, which is why i'm buying a body and other parts from Ron.
and by the way, why isn't hugahan responding any more? Just wondering.

Maybe cause the last post was four years ago? Ya think... :)

hugahans post was yesterday at 9:eek:o a.m. thats hardly 4 yrs ago.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back