Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carb ideas?

Bugflipper

I've been trying to read up a lot on this board before posting. It looks like a lot of folks recommend edelbrock carbs for reliability. I have only ran one and it was years ago. It would sit and the fuel would dry out. A few wraps with a wrench and it would knock the varnish loose and be back in business. If I let a Holley setup like that it would need at least a cleaning, usually a rebuild. The edelbrock was down on power compared to a 4150. But it ran decent. I was wondering if 20 or 30 years has made the holleys more reliable? A lot of times they would flood the top of the intake if a bit of trash got in. Also wondering about these AVS edelbrocks? Would that be a benefit at all?

Here is the angle I am thinking from. I have a 327 290 HP. It's been mildly built years ago with a .455 lift cam. Upgraded to hei. Has some sprint style 1.75 headers and old school wieand accelerator high rise single plane. Most likely it it in the 375-400 range at the crank I am guessing. It has a 750 4150 which is of coarse to big. I'm running a th350 and a 3.40 something 10 bolt rear on 12" drag tires. The wieand isn't a torque monster down low. Was thinking the AVS carb could play on that a bit. Tighten up the secondaries a bit to keep from breaking the little tire loose out of the hole and let them have som power somewhere above 3000. Any thoughts on this or would I be better off with a different carb. Without looking I think the AVS may be a 650. I've ran a similar motor with shorter try y headers and a 600 4150 with decent results. I really just don't want to tinker anymore. I heard the edelbrocks are flow tested with air only so that is why the 650 question. A 570 or 600 Holley would be about right. Don't know about edelbrocks though.

Welcome aboard! Yes, your carb is too big....you need 500 to 600cfm. There alot of good carbs out there, pick the one you want, they all have their good points and bad points. For racing and performance buildups, Holley is King for now. Thats the new series carbs. Edelbrocks, Barry Gants are good also, in different ways, for street/strip. Edelbrock is a damn good street carb.
If you had more cam and more gears, a doublepumper would be the ticket.
From what I'm reading, You'd want a vacuum secondary carb, 500-600cfm. If your into performance and your gonna warm it up later, go 650, but not any bigger so you can grow into it with you added options later.
You can tune these carbs with your jets, pv's, also remember, you can tune with carb spacers and air cleaners also....for more torque and performance.
Scoops give you more airflow into the carb, were regular air cleaners won't push as much air in, unless you build a shroud around the back side of your cleaner. With carb spacers, you can add torque or add Horses by changing plenum volumn.

Gotta remember, the 350 horse 327's had a comparable cam with solid lifters, good flowing exhaust manifolds, a dualplane alum. Hi-rise with the 625-685 cfm carb with a hi-compression ratio. You probably have close to the same motor, but without the compression and the good quality fuel to feed it....therefore, yours will be a little less when tuned to optimum....

I messed up on the cam, the 30-30 cam that was in them stock was .455 with flat tappets. I have a .485 lift advertised at 268 hyd roller. It's just an old vette motor with the fuellie heads (76 cc to lower the compression) and a 3 angle valve job. It's at 9.5-1 compression now I believe. I raced it back some time ago. Been in a 1930 coupe for 5 or 6 years. I got a 383 crate motor for that so I figured this old motor would be a good one for a t-bucket since it will be lighter. It looks like the irok rear is a 3.42. Sorry for the typos above, it's hard to type on a phone.
Thanks for the help guys.

Take a look at Summit Racing carbs. Kind of a cross between Holley and Edel. One piece body, sight glasses, external adjust floats and mostly Holley internal parts. I have one and it seems to work well on a stock Ford 302.

i have had great success with the off the shelf vacuum secondary holley 600cfm from autozone or oreilly's.

The edlebrocks have a needle and seat issue 90% of the time usually so buy a spring loaded off road needle and seat when you get the carb to be safe. If you get an edelbrock.

I've always thought of the Edelbrock carbs as a bolt on to anything and it'll run OK-ish thing. Whereas the Holleys are far more adjustable and if you got a few clues you can tune a Holley to run just right - they are far more adjustable. The adjustability can be a two edge sword though, if you don't have those one or two clues you can end up lost in the tall weeds. Seems to me you can also get away with a way over carbed situation with an Edelbrock because the secondaries are regulated by a cunning air flow sense baffle rather than diff pressure (vacuum) like a Holley. Both good products that do things differently, you could look at it.

I've been using Edelbrock carbs for many years on my street cars with great success. For the street, that's what I would use. Holley for racing as mentioned.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back