Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cheap T Project

Thanks! At least I'm going down the right track. What size tires would you recommend? Originally I wanted skinny with spokes like ET gasser type. Then I read about potential handling issues while turning. Maybe something wider than a 4 1/2" wide rim...

I'm running 14 x 6" Americans on the front (I like the 'Big-n-little' look) with a 185/60 x 14 radial tire. Handles just fine.

D.jpg

Manual R&P is very light, like power steering. Don't worry about the size of your steering wheel or any effort.
But manual R&P has a downside: the road wheels are directly connected to the steering wheel, and any forces go in both directions; so any movement of the road wheels (potholes, stones, etc) go right to the steering wheel. Your hands and wrists are gonna get jerked a lot. So I recommend one or more steering dampers. I use a pair of motorcycle dampers like these. There are many on Amazon. Check here for some pics of my install.

Last edited:
I'm using 3" wide rims on the front with motorcycle tires - they work just fine.

Here's my shaft assy:

Manual R&P is very light, like power steering. Don't worry about the size of your steering wheel or any effort.
But manual R&P has a downside: the road wheels are directly connected to the steering wheel, and any forces go in both directions; so any movement of the road wheels (potholes, stones, etc) go right to the steering wheel. Your hands and wrists are gonna get jerked a lot. So I recommend one or more steering dampers. I use a pair of motorcycle dampers like these. There are many on Amazon. Check here for some pics of my install.

should try one of these ... Borgeson 034937: Steering Universal Joint / Vibration Damper Steel 3/4DD X 3/4-48 - JEGS High Performance

I'm running 14 x 6" Americans on the front (I like the 'Big-n-little' look) with a 185/60 x 14 radial tire. Handles just fine.

View attachment 22587
yup, big and little for me that's part of my stance since I've got a spring over axle it sets higher. The only way to compensate is big and littles! Thank you for the tire size too!

OK, here is my shaft assembly:
steering shaft.JPG

Note at left the double U-joint to connect to the steering column. A single U won't handle more than maybe 30 degrees of angle.
And a Borgeson support bearing right at the double U to control the joint movement.
At the other end is a custom support with a nylon bushing.

View attachment 22587
Those are torque thrusts? II or III ? Those are my favorites! I've always wondered what it would look like with those on front and back. Have to say though, I still like 409T's front wheels...I just remember those on a lot of gassers when I was a kid and always thought they looked cool.

View attachment 22591

Note at left the double U-joint to connect to the steering column. A single U won't handle more than maybe 30 degrees of angle.
And a Borgeson support bearing right at the double U to control the joint movement.
I think a single joint would work at the rack. I haven't gotten to mocking up the steering column yet. That's the area I'm most concerned about. The double will be the way to go depending on my angle. How large is that shaft? looks like 1" or more. Also, mine will only be about 30" long at the most. Your ride is much longer than mine.

Yes, I have a single U at the rack:
View attachment 22592

The shaft is 3/4" diameter, which fits the Borgeson bearing perfectly. The other support was made by Don Ross, a pro builder in Dallas.
View attachment 22593
I've seen the Borgeson stuff before. It appears to be very well made. Do you think the round shaft is better/ stronger than a double D shaft? Or maybe the u joint is better built? If everything else goes south I'd really like to be able to steer!

View attachment 22591

Are they the only manufacturer that bolts the u joint to the shaft? That's my preferred way. You never know how much movement it might encounter.

Are they the only manufacturer that bolts the u joint to the shaft? That's my preferred way. You never know how much movement it might encounter.
No, here's one for double D shafts and it has setscrews. I use the round splined shaft and U-joints, but any quality pieces can do the job.
And as part of my Spring get-ready I check/tighten all bolts and screws on the car; things do get loose!
This looks like my double, but mine is SS.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your input guys! I do appreciate it!
I have a question for all the long time builders - How do you get over the hump when you've hit the wall? I was doing pretty well and making decent progress. Health stuff got in the way and I'm having a tuff time getting going again. Haven't touched it in 3 1/2 weeks...I feel like the elephant grew back everything I'd eaten. Going out there tonight to try to get the trans mount finalized, set the body back on and start the steering set up. Wish me luck!

Get off your damn butt and crawl out to the shop ! Do something that is likely to provide some progress and a satisfying result, then move on to something a little more challenging.

Do you have someone locally that can come over for some bench racing and talk about your problems? NO, not that personal problem, car problems ! LOL !

Last edited:
Hi Cheap T! I know first hand about health issues throwing a wrench in the works. A three week no work is NOTHING! I have gone months! Recently I have made great progress here in the last couple of months. Like Indycars if you have somebody local that can come rattle your cage or just sit and talk cars it would be a real help. Fortunately I have him about 40 minutes from me. When you need a lift pm me and I’ll talk you through your problem if I can. I built my first bucket in 1972 and have not outgrown it yet! I’m going to read back through your build now and see if I can offer any on-site. Keep on keeping on!

Just reread your build. Only comment I can make is consider gussets in the rack mount. I’m sure you have checked but some pintos had front steer arms. Be sure when you turn left the wheels turn left!

You're taking the right approach. Just keep at it. My goal when I was about 3/4 done was to get at least one thing done every day, even a small thing.

9 front axle.jpg

Like Spanky says one thing a day will get you there some day........................

Like they say, "Slow and steady wins the race!"
Mine took 5 years to get it able to be driven. I thought that was long. Spanky got me beat 3 fold! Spanky gets the gold star!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back