Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cheap T Project

Here is a couple that may make you think more....I really like the way mine drives with this and not a whole lot of work to install it.......36679891_10215720847790602_8870938651316453376_n.jpg 36603035_10215720845270539_6188123570804097024_n.jpg

I have some photos if you need some of my half rack..
I’ll look at whatever you have. Thank you.
Sorry, my post didn’t get through from work.
I like the look of the unisteer. Looks more high tech. I’m thinking that the rack kind of hidden behind the axle is the way I want to go. I’ll add a damper to keep it in line. I should only have 30” or so of steering shaft between the rack and the column. 2 u joints should keep my directional changes to a minimum.

Been gone for a while. Like I said health issues slow me down. Haven't been doing anything on the car for the last 6 weeks... Anyway, I'm looking at a new rack so that I can keep close to the same setup. This time it'll be a rear steer rack! After looking at others posts and going to a few car shows I think I should be able to have a very simple linkage setup. 2 U-joints and a section of shaft and it should be good. I'm going to take the 65 galaxy steering wheel I have and shrink it by quite a few inches. I switched gears and went back to the engine rebuild. Honed the cylinders and getting ready to install the cam bearings. Need to find someone to swap old pistons for new, wrist pins are pressed style. Heads are just about ready to be reassembled. Need new valve springs and done. Using a turbo 350 trans but need a new torque converter. Anyway I'm rambling now..Need to get working instead!!! Thanks to all who have helped me on this!

I believe i have a new torque converter for a th350 tranny. If you want to pay shipping costs , it's yours. Let me know , okay ?? I switched to a 700r tranny with a new torque converter. That leaves me with an extra torque converter.

Had a friend build a race car and find out after he did all the TIG welding. He was pissed! See if you can just flip it over and still mount it ok.

Problem with that is unless it is a center steer unit you will have a right hand driver's seat. Being it is a tube axle setup you will need a rear steer unit. You could mount that rack forward of the axle but that would be difficult and create steering shaft clearance issues. Ask me how I know!

I'm using a chevy Cobalt rack & pinion steering unit. I made the same mistake too (tried to use a mustang 2 rack & pinion).

Hello again. I'm looking at a rack from a dodge omni. It appears to be about the size I need and..It's rear steer. Thought about flipping the rack over but I've never driver a right hand drive car and since this project is all new to me I didn't want to complicate it any more. So I've installed the cam bearings, had the new pistons installed, and painted the block and heads. getting ready to reassemble the heads.

Attachments

• IMG_9191.JPG
    IMG_9191.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9192.JPG
    IMG_9192.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9230.JPG
    IMG_9230.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9228.JPG
    IMG_9228.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 44
The engine block is an AWESOME color. WOW !! T buckets bring out the BEST in all of us. At 16 years old , my twin brother and i wanted to be car customizers. My twin brother passed away awhile back, but, he managed to build a Volkswagen trike (all from scratch) from motorcycle junkyard parts. He also etched (using a small sand blaster) murals on car / truck windows.

I'm surprised with the encouragement and helpful info about the steering racks here. I read into it before I started mine and everyone talked about bump steer being so horrible that you cant even drive the car. So I decided against it...

Cool build. My body is also chopped up.. widened 5" and stretched 6".

The engine block is an AWESOME color. WOW !! T buckets bring out the BEST in all of us. At 16 years old , my twin brother and i wanted to be car customizers. My twin brother passed away awhile back, but, he managed to build a Volkswagen trike (all from scratch) from motorcycle junkyard parts. He also etched (using a small sand blaster) murals on car / truck windows.
The color is burnt copper. I’m planning on painting the body black so I thought it would be a good contrast.

I'm using a chevy Cobalt rack & pinion steering unit. I made the same mistake too (tried to use a mustang 2 rack & pinion).

Hey DonnyRay,

I checked all back throughout your build thread but didn't find you using a steering rack, did I miss something? Would like to see the setup.

Hi Yeti ; I don't have it assembled yet , i've been busy working on my hood. I've gathered all the parts for the steering including a pair of dampers.

Hi CheapT ; I downsize my photos to 1200 x 900 pixels. Are you considering burnt copper wheels ??

My photos are as small as windows allows, about thumbnail size of 40 kb or so. My choice of wheels are torque thrust. I've always liked them since I was a kid. If I change then I might think about painting them the burnt copper color. Honestly I hadn't thought about it too much but it could be a cool color match! I might use Buick wheels for the front at 14" x 6 since they're laying around and I have some Old aluminum slots (western wheel) 15x8 that I'd like to use for the rear but they're Chevy and the rear end is ford. Thanks for bringing up the wheels! I'm now considering a different setup!

Engine Pro.jpg Simple Green for Aluminum.jpg I was trying to post this last night! Has anyone ever heard of engine pro products? I'm looking at this for cam lube and assembly lube. Only available to machine shops and engine rebuilders. (can be found on ebay) The other thing is this, I've found that cleaning aluminum can be a pain. A lot of cleaners will dull it to a grayish color. I used mothers aluminum wheel cleaner for my manifold and it did a great job. I want to try this simple green product called aircraft extreme. It's good for aluminum airframes so it must be okay for car parts. Has anyone ever used it? It's available from aircraft spruce company. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft Cleaner | Aircraft Spruce They have the best price and they're nationwide and Canada.

This is what I use for engine assembly lube. It's very tacky and stays on parts very well until your initial start up. All 4 of the big auto parts chains carry it.

Screenshot-20220713-060950-Chrome.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back