Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Chevy 383 stroker

I have one in my 46 coupe. Great motor! Moves my 4000 lb car out just fine. Has ported iron heads, a 262 Comp cam and 3 x 2 Rochesters. Pulls hard to about 5500 rpm. Lot's of low and mid range torque.

I wish now that I would have built one for my T.

Build it. You won't regret it.

Mike

I agree with what everyone else has said, I built one a year and a half ago to replace the ailing 350 I had in my bucket. I got the same feeling I did when I replaced the original 265 I built the bucket with with a 327.

I also agree with everyone else. For my money low end torque is king, at least for sissies like me that only want to go fast up to 65 MPH, which even with a 3.89 rear end is only about 2800 or so RPM.

Jeff

Hotrod is right. I have a 47 Ford coupe with a 425hp 383 and boy with 18in. Tires and 3.55 gears that thing will get it

If you want a 383 that most people DON'T have, you can get a 348 W motor (predecessor to the 409) for reasonable money and easily bore and stroke it to 383. One of those will handle 10.5:1 compression on pump gas with no problem and give you lots of low end.

Jeff

I have one in my 46 coupe. Great motor! Moves my 4000 lb car out just fine. Has ported iron heads, a 262 Comp cam and 3 x 2 Rochesters. Pulls hard to about 5500 rpm. Lot's of low and mid range torque.
You likely meant to say it pulls hard to 5500 RPM, after it finishes melting another set of tires off the car. :winkn: You made a wise engine choice for a heavy car.

I.m in the process of building a 23 T and just made the decision to go from a 350 to a MOPAR 383 (had one in my 67 Baracuda). I didn't know that Chevy ever built a 383. I'm going w/ 10" rims in back to try and harness a little of the extra HP! Somebody suggested 3.00 rear. Any thoughts?

I.m in the process of building a 23 T and just made the decision to go from a 350 to a MOPAR 383 (had one in my 67 Baracuda). I didn't know that Chevy ever built a 383. I'm going w/ 10" rims in back to try and harness a little of the extra HP! Somebody suggested 3.00 rear. Any thoughts?

Chevy didn't build a 383. Hot rodders do though. A 383 Chevy is a 350 block bored .030" then stroked with a 400 crank.

Pick up some of those "useless" parts from the 383 builds and build yourself a GOOD motor :rolleyes: . the 350 crank in a 400 block nets 377 CI and gives better RPM potential and better responce in a light car. ask the sprint car guys if you don't believe me.

Russ

Pick up some of those "useless" parts from the 383 builds and build yourself a GOOD motor :rolleyes: . the 350 crank in a 400 block nets 377 CI and gives better RPM potential and better responce in a light car. ask the sprint car guys if you don't believe me.

Russ

Yep had a 377 in a little Nova way back when you could buy good gasoline, and yes it was quick. Drove it to work every day.

Russ
yes,that's a great combo,I raced/ran under a 355 rule max,so I used a 400 block/spacer mains and 327 big main crank=348,fast rev's and great breath with more room around valves,out runs reg 350's

yes,that's a great combo,I raced/ran under a 355 rule max,so I used a 400 block/spacer mains and 327 big main crank=348,fast rev's and great breath with more room around valves,out runs reg 350's

Seems I remember an article in one of the car mags a few years ago about a similar combo. They used long Ford rods (6 1/8" I think) and custom pistons. Got some interesting dyno results with about an 11 to 1 compression ratio on 87 octane pump gas. Supposedly had to do with the longer dwell time at TDC allowing a more controlled burn. At least I thought it was interesting.:rolleyes:

Mike

I have a basic 383 in my Model A pick-up . Old Chevy iron heads big cam, 750 DP Holley single plane intake, MSD ignition. With an overdrive automatic it. moves along great, and will pull 2200 rpm @ 65 mph all day and still get decent gas mileage ( has 4.11 gear and tall tire) Tons of torque to push a car with the aerodynamics of a bookcase along easy. Do it and you'll be sold.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back