Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

chrysler going under,hope my job is safe

Good luck to all the dealership guys out there. In the real world the ones that close would be the ones that ahve the worst ROI but the way things are being done now from DC it's all up in the air

i was thinking the larger multi dealers would survive. a while back they were doing away smaller mom and pop dealers.and locating them with multi dealership.what will they gain with a single location when the other multi dealers would have more traffic.I really have my finger crossed 'cause I no spring chicken, JJ boc boc!!

i WANT TO THANK ALL YOU GUYS FOR YOUR PRAYERS MY DEALERSHIP WAS SPARED.!I hope my friend from the kansas dealership has the same good news.JJ

You said store you ment stores??? you mean every dealership on the list???

I was surprised that the small dealership in my town (Pop. 2800) was saved. It's co-branded with Ford. They do sell some cars every week but I would have thought they would have been sacrificed for the big city dealerships.

sorry der' i meant stores. if your dealer is not on this list then they were spared.this is alot of people out of work.

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your thoughts and concerns. We also will still be a dealership with the new Chrysler! Unfortunately, I have many friends that didnt make it and may very well lose their life savings. The 789 dealerships that will not be renewed will be terminated mid-June. This was such an unnecessary thing to have happen. The dealerships are a profit center for the manufacturer not an expense. Its a scary thought to see that the auto task force has this much control and not have a clue.
Bill

Bill isnt this like asking half of your volunteers not to come back tomorrow with the project half done. Does the dealership make money from chrysler if they dont sell cars???? Sorry to be so dumb about this.

rooster57 said:
Does the dealership make money from chrysler if they dont sell cars???? Sorry to be so dumb about this.

To the contrary. If the dealership doesn't sell the cars they pay Chrysler interest.

Yes it is Tim. Cutting the dealer count will result in very, very minimal savings to Chrysler. It will be better for the remaining dealers because there will be less competition from dealerships selling and servicing the same brands. The auto task force looked at the import manufacturers car sales vs. the number of dealerships and decided that Chrysler and GM should decrease their dealership count.

To answer your question, no the dealership doesnt make money from Chrysler if you dont sell vehicles. For every new vehicle that is on your lot, you will have to pay $175 to $400 a month for the interest and insurance. You start paying interest before the vehicle even gets to your dealership.

The rent is another big expense. Many of the dealerships buildings in the large metro areas will cost $20,000-$60,000 a month for rent.

A dealerships service and parts departments are measured by an Absorption percentage. This percentage basically amounts to the percent of the total dealerships fixed expenses the service and parts department could pay. The national average for Chrysler dealers is in the low to mid 60% range. A good Service and Parts business helps pay the bills, but you still have to sell vehicles to make a profit.
Bill

So on 30 June, the now former dealers send back their unsold Chryslers and makes a bigger stockpile, and Chrysler loses the $200-400 per month interest charge?

Sounds to me like your Government needs some help!

Bill, congratulations on surviving Chrysler's bloodletting.

Do you remember David Scheelk? He's a good friend of mine and said that he knew you. We were discussing the Chrysler deal and I mentioned your situation is how this came up.

Bill thanks for the Dealership lesson.I am glad you have been passed over for the cut. I also hope less dealerships means more sales for you and your guys. Also be sure and call me in june when you are at the Kart races.

Tim C

Thanks George. Yes, I do know David, but it has been a while since I have seen him. He is quite the fabricator and machinist. You need to talk him into building a T-bucket. Please tell him I said Hi.
Bill

Because of the Bankruptcy Court, Chrysler cant buy back any of the rejected dealers new vehicles, parts inventory or the Chrysler special tools.

Chrysler told us today that they would be able to assist the rejected dealers in redistributing these things to the new servicing dealers. The current model vehicles shouldnt be too big of a deal, but the parts inventories will be a real nightmare. The special tools will be of little value since the new dealers should already have them.

The current plan for this to take effect is June 9th. This is a terrible situation I bet that many of the rejected dealers will end up having to file bankruptcy.
Bill

I'm trying to figure out how they figured out who to close. The Dodge dealer north of here in a town of 30,000 is shutting down but the dealership here in my town of 2800 is staying open. Both dealerships are co-branded, the one to the north with Toyota and ours with Ford. Maybe Toyota was doing the bulk of the business up there and Chrysler figured the loss wouldn't do any more damage to their bottom line. One would think that Chrysler would continue the service departments in the closed, co-branded dealerships. The trained personnel and special tools are there. Why waste it. It can only hurt their future sales when existing Chrysler/Dodge owners have to travel several miles for warranty issues.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back