Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Covid Project - 80's Project T-Rod

For the bed, I ended up cutting out the tailgate out in order to get my fuel cell to fit correctly. The 10 gallon tank is very tight within the bed, and I wanted the ability to lower the tailgate for future trunk maintenance. I plan to glass over the faces of the mounting hinges to make it look better. For the bed cover, I'm weighing in on my options on how it will open/close and be secure. Do I do a simple velcro hold down on the lid flanges or a strong magnetic latch or a hinged lid? If I go with a hinged lid near the body, I'll have to cut across the lid and somehow permanently secure the cut to the body or bed. I guess you add some small piano hinges to allow it to raise and lower. I guess there's many directions that I could take it.

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5619.jpg

Is the bed CCR? How long is it? Mine is a Spirit and i think it is only 14”. I will be putting the radiator in the bed so extra length might be a benefit. I like the windshield post install. I plan on a brace from the w/s post to the floor and forward to the firewall to support the w/s so I don’t need braces going forward. Liking your build.

Took the leap of faith and finally got around to cutting out the passenger door. I had to "slit" the wood to assist with contouring with the body. Even with the hardwood (poplar) framing installed, it's still a bit flimsical. Hopefully, things will stiffen up once I add additional wood on the body and get the floor, firewall, and seating frame installed.

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

Next steps over the next couple of months...getting the windshield posts fitted, body work, and paint. Purchased my paint and clear from The Coating Store (UreChem)....canary yellow base coat, clear, and red and orange for adding flames. This will be my next big challenge.

View attachment 24101

View attachment 24102
It’s crazy how many chemicals are involved in painting a car. I remember only needing paint, reducer, and catalyst, but that was optional. It’s crazy how much material is required for anything from a simple spot or panel repair to a total refinish... same number of chemicals, different quantity. Don’t even get me started on the amount of stuff wasting away in my shop while my bucket project has been on the back burner... resins, putties, retardants, paints, primers, OMG, I’m becoming aggravated just thinking about it. Oh well, that’s the price paid for the things intended to put smiles on our faces.

It's kind of humorous....I've been building old cars and military plastic models all my life...detailing all the little parts with various paints and aging techniques, and now I'm building a 27' T-bucket. I told my wife there's one difference between the two....this has become the model from Hell! :D

Randy, I mounted my bed lid with a long hinge at the rear so it opens backwards:
hinged bed lid.JPG

I use linear actuators to open/close it, but you could use magnetic latches or Velcro. Hood hold down pins would be trick....

The time finally arrived to get the paint completed. I got started around 7:30am and did a 14 hour day for completing the paint job (finished around 9:30 pm at night). I've been working on the body/bed/dash/door/windshield posts since May, so I was excited to get this done before the fall weather sets in. Overall, the temperature outside was 95 deg and the humidity was pretty low. A good day to paint and I got lucky with not having any noticeable dust/dirt, or any bugs interfering with the paint work. 3 coats of epoxy primer, 3 coats of base yellow, 2 coats red paint, 3 coats of clear. Overall, the paint flowed well, and it came out with a nice gloss. Not bad for a backyard paint job! :whistling:

IMG_5809.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_5814.jpg

IMG_5818.jpg

IMG_5816.jpg

IMG_5819.jpg

IMG_5820.jpg

Awesome! It’s a distant, foggy memory for me, back to the days of back yard body and paint work. The essence of true hot rodding. I literally grew up in my dads body shop but as life progressed I was on my own, no shop, few tools, had to begin again. One of my early builds was a ‘76 Ventura, v6 auto grocery getter that I transformed into a 455 tri power, 4 speed sleeper monster. The engine was built in a shed, I off framed and built the car, body work, and paint in a car port... and I was working 60-65 hours a week at my bill pay job. It actually turned out very good, wish I still had it. No idea where the energy came from or went. I remember ordering parts from California Discount Warehouse via Car builder magazine ads at my desk and frequenting the local bone yards, Jegs, and Super Shops, my favorite. Keep up the good work!

Oooh... Yella

Gerry, I'm going to call those of us on here with 'yella' buckets, "Sons of Saffron" . . . (Gotta love it!!!) :p

Yellow 1.jpg Yellow2.jpg Yellow3.jpg Yellow4.jpg Yellow5.JPG Yellow6.jpg

(Randy, Gerry, Resinator, Neshkoro, LincolNut, Spanky)

Last edited:
I like that '76 Ventura! My wife had a two door '76 Nova when I first started dating her in high school that we labeled the "Nova-ghini". A good solid vehicle...had the 305 V8. We did some crazy stuff in that car and it took a fearsome beating, but no matter how bad we treated it, it kept on cruising. :cool: It never broke down and would always keep on ticking.

Here's a couple more pics of my paint job. Overall, not to bad. I noticed my tape job on the flames was rushed and I got some bleed through. Any ideas on how to try and correct this problem? In all honesty, I was in a rush to get all the paint completed and I should've taken more time on the taping. I'm thinking of using some 1/8" light orange pin-striping to outline and cover the red bleed-through on the flames. At this point, I just need to try and cover my mistakes. Any suggestions?

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back