Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine mount help!

I know I'll catch a lot of grief, but I got my mounts on Sunday from O'Riellys (only thing open) and when I installed the LH I couldn't get the thru bolt lined up. I tried everything. Line up punches, all kinds of wiggling, up and down on the hoist. Finally I tried the thru bolt on the other new one. It wouldn't go thru the mount. Had to grind just a little off the mount. Then changed the mount for the forty eleventh time. Mean while I got some NAPA Mounts with the Safety Feature on order.

Good Luck

Swampdog

When I had my 33 coupe, I had the "pull" mount solid and the "push" mount rubber. Before I did that, the "pull" mount would separate on hard take offs.
Le

I got my mounts on Sunday from O'Riellys
I have to do the same thing today or tomorrow. :mad: Just in case you don't want to wait for NAPA, I think the part number is 2285 (the same number is used at Advance Auto, O'Reillys and Autozone). I haven't bought it yet, but looking at the photos, it looks like this part number has the safety tabs.

Jack

OK, these companies are selling the same in-house part no., but definitely not the same quality. I stopped by Autozone this evening for a look, and the mounts were absolute junk. The safety tabs were so thin, they looked like they'd been cut out of a pie pan with tin snips. Seriously, it was the worst looking product for a motor I've ever seen, reminded me of the little tin toys they used to import from Japan in the '50s.

So, I continued on to O'Reilly's. The guy brought out a mount, same part no., but made in USA by Anchor. Everything about it is what it should be, including the tabs. Instead of sheet metal .040 thick that you can almost bend by hand, they're 0.160 solid steel. Best thing, they were the same price as autozone, about $10.

Swampdog, are you sure the mounts you got at O'Reilly's don't have the tabs? Do you know for sure that the NAPA mounts are different? Just wondering...

Jack

These are the mounts I have no safety tab. Yes they are Anchor brand but made in China.
I am not 100% sure about the NAPA ones yet but the counter guy said the 70's truck had the safety tab. We will see. I like the Old Round Guys idea of putting a bolt thru it. It is hard enough to get the bottom bolt started with out it being in a hole like safety tab mount.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 24
These are the mounts I have no safety tab. Yes they are Anchor brand but made in China.
Those are nothing short of scary. What was the part no. (or... what year/model did you ask for)? You know, I only needed one mount, but after the experience at Autozone, I figured I oughta stock up. They had two of the US mounts, so I bought them both. Now that you say some of the Anchor mounts are being made in China, I'm thinking I should buy a couple more if I can find them.
I am not 100% sure about the NAPA ones yet but the counter guy said the 70's truck had the safety tab. We will see. I like the Old Round Guys idea of putting a bolt thru it. It is hard enough to get the bottom bolt started with out it being in a hole like safety tab mount.
Just in case he's wrong about the truck, you should ask for mounts for a '72 Corvette. The same mount fits both motors (350/454) and they're interchangeable right and left. You know, it really was a helluva coincidence that you started this discussion when you did. I could tell yesterday something was wrong, and today, the rubber pad in the left mount came completely apart. No telling how much damage it would have done if not for the safety tabs. FWIW, the mounts were installed by a previous owner, and the only thing I knew about them was that they had safety tabs. When I pulled the left side, it said "Made in Korea." The quality is so-so; safety tabs look good, but the body where the frame bolt goes through isn't very thick. The holes in both sides are wallowed out quite a bit as a result. In comparison, the Anchor mount 2285 has a double thickness in that area, very heavy duty. Unfortunately, that also means the original 7/16 x 14 bolt isn't long enough, so the car is down until I can get a longer one tomorrow.

Don't really have an opinion about the modification you mentioned, other than that there was no problem reaching the bolt between the safety tabs in my particular installation. Hopefully, the NAPA mounts you ordered will have the tabs and you'll be OK. If not, you might want to at least consider calling O'Reilly's to see if they have better mounts than the ones they sold you. If you can find the same ones they sold me, you'll be good to go. Man, it's always the little stuff that eats your lunch. :confused:

Jack

I don't think anyone has mentioned the polyurethane mounts. They are made by Energy Suspension and Prothane. I haven't used them, but they are supposed to have steel safety interlocks to prevent the engine from climbing if one breaks. I use the stock type mounts with the safety hook built in. Mid 60's type from my local parts house.

Here's a link to the Energy Mounts:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-1114g/overview/

Mike

I used to drill a whole through the mount and put a bolt and net on it. Still have the rubber for vibration but it can't pull apart.
Hahaha....I think I own a controlling interest in Energy Suspension....
Bolts or safety chains are always a good idea on those type of mounts. I always run a torque strap....if not solid mounted....

I got about 15 miles and 5 hard take-off's on my O'Riellys (Anchor Brand made in China) mounts. Last evening the LH completely seperated. Iordered the polyurethane mounts from Speedway. Checked the transmission mount and it is OK. The China mounts looked someone melted an old tire poured it inti the mold.

Chevy has had this trouble for a long time. In 1967 I bought a new impala and they had a recall so they sent me a pair of chains with hooks on them. I have to do something to stop some of the vibration so good safety mounts are in next on the menu.

Chevy has had this trouble for a long time. In 1967 I bought a new impala and they had a recall...
I'm astounded this design ever got past the engineering managers at GM. What a dangerous piece of crap. Ford's design looks similar (rubber sandwich), but in fact it has a steel "handshake" in the center, a built-in safety net.

Jack

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back