Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Firewall Question

Telman2

I'm totally rewiring the "TBucket" I built back in 68, yeah, it's that old. It's a driver, it's had 3 engines and as many transmissions in it and has suffered many nicks and bangs to the firewall. While tearing out the wiring I got to thinking about the banged up firewall and how much better it would look with a piece of diamond plate covering up the scars it's endured over the years. My question is being retired with limited shop tools what is the best way to cut a piece of aluminum diamond plate? A band saw would be my first choice but I don't have access to one, is a hack saw and file my only other choice?

You can use jig saw for aluminum with out any problem, as well as many wood working tools... as long as you use a carbide blade and dont force the tool. I've used a skill saw to cut 1/2" and 3/4" aluminum plate when replacing floors in dump trucks and making tailgate hinges. On thinner stock it helps to back up the aluminum with a piece of scrap ply wood. I've also had luck working aluminum with a router.

But make sure you ware proper eye protection, if you think saw dust is bad, the chips from cutting aluminum are much worse. You also need to keep the chips out of the tool.

bentbaggerlen is correct. The only thing I would add is to use a tiny bit of WD-40 as you cut. It doesn't take much. Wood working tools spin too fast, and you'll get aluminum chips building up on the ends of the teeth of your cutting tools from the extra heat. So a tiny squirt of WD every 1/2" or so will keep everything happy.

Oh, and please be super careful! Skill saws, carbide blades and aluminum sheet are a very dangerous combination.

David

sounds like these guy's have done this a time or 2.lolwhen i cut mine the jig saw was the prefered tool.worked great with a medium tooth scroll saw blade then dressed up the edges with a file.

I agree with dan...Jigsaw and a carbide blade, cut on the outside of your line, go slow and use WD 40 or something as a lubricant...stop every now and then to clean any chips stuck in the teeth and swap blades sooner than you think. A dull blade in that situation is a scary proposition

Cover the area around where you're cutting with blue tape so you don't scratch the material. Go slow when cutting.

I used a 4 inch cut off wheel on my angle grinder... took my time, came out OK.. now mine is just flat blank material that I had chrome plated...

Here it is after I cut it, and fitted all the fitting and hardware...

Tbucletteardown045.jpg

and here it is after being plated...

intake.jpg

hope the picture of mine shows here.

Telman2 said:
I'm totally rewiring the "TBucket" I built back in 68, yeah, it's that old. It's a driver, it's had 3 engines and as many transmissions in it and has suffered many nicks and bangs to the firewall. While tearing out the wiring I got to thinking about the banged up firewall and how much better it would look with a piece of diamond plate covering up the scars it's endured over the years. My question is being retired with limited shop tools what is the best way to cut a piece of aluminum diamond plate? A band saw would be my first choice but I don't have access to one, is a hack saw and file my only other choice?

That's a great looking firewall huffhuff, is it much of a problem cleaning it? I was talking with a friend of mine and he suggested using polished stainless steel, he thought it might be easier to clean.

haven't had the need to clean it yet. weather has been great and i've not had the car but about three weeks. it was built in 1989 so it has held up well.

Telman2 said:
That's a great looking firewall huffhuff, is it much of a problem cleaning it? I was talking with a friend of mine and he suggested using polished stainless steel, he thought it might be easier to clean.

hey huff, how about some more pics of your T?

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back