Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Frame To Ground Height

AussieT

G,day all. it's been a while since I have posted or worked on my T. I have just picked up a new chassis for the machine and am wondering if anybody can give me their frame to ground height and the front and rear. I am using a jag rear (which i have not picked up yet) and a 4" dropped I beam axle front.
I was hoping to get the frame set up to have a look at a few clearences of sumps etc. If possible was looking to get measurments at front from ground to bottom of frame and rear from ground to bottom of frame just before the kick up.

Hope you are all going cool over in the U.S.A and other parts. Thanks in advance.

Shawn

7 3/8" front with 165"s and 14" rear with 31" tires.

ArtinthePark53071.jpg

Since my set up is a little bit out of the ordinary with the quarter elliptic front spring set up, I don't know if it will help or not but I'll give you what I can. I an using a 4" dropped axle with 165/80x15 tires in front and the spring mount is the lowest point on the frame in the front which is 6 1/2". In the rear I'm running 285/70x15 tires and the point at the rear kick up measures 6 5/8".

IMG_2715.jpg

Jim

G,day all. it's been a while since I have posted or worked on my T. I have just picked up a new chassis for the machine and am wondering if anybody can give me their frame to ground height and the front and rear. I am using a jag rear (which i have not picked up yet) and a 4" dropped I beam axle front.
I was hoping to get the frame set up to have a look at a few clearences of sumps etc. If possible was looking to get measurments at front from ground to bottom of frame and rear from ground to bottom of frame just before the kick up.

Hope you are all going cool over in the U.S.A and other parts. Thanks in advance.

Shawn

I believe 5 inches is minimum recommended scrub line.. i'm sure there is lower, but they done like kentucky roads either :blush:

Here is how scrub line is determined, as shown in the NSRA Safety 23 Manual.

img041-1.jpg

Jim

I'd say go with Vegas Bruce, his 'T' looks like a well-balanced streetable driver. Remember that if you want it a little lower in the front you can simply add longer shackles. Thats how we lowered pre-48s in the 50's. The drum brakes look nostalgic Bruce, but with 90% of a 'T's stopping power on the front wheels, I think I prefer disc brakes.(And you won't find anyone more 'nostalgic' than me.)
Remember, these measurements are from 'T's with the weight on them, When you're setting one up, it's going to sit some higher than when you load 1500 lbs on it, so you have to allow for that. In my next two books I'm channeling early iron pickup bodies onto passenger car frames (for the nice ride) and in order to establish the cab height where you want it, you need to load ballast as close to what the finished rod will have. I set the bed on the chassis, the front end on the chassis, and load every part I plan to use in the cab. Along with 23 gallons of water.(to approximate the Gas and radiator water) Then I can block the cab where I want it. On my Apache I chose 3" so it looks like a low rider without having to resort to air bags, and it rides like a Cadillac. Hope this helps you avoid getting it too low. Chester

Thanks Chester, I'm pretty proud of her. :blush:

For the front I like to see the crossmember at the same height as the axel (3" drop) 8" give or take an inch.

For the rear, if it's a traditional T I set the top of the forward frame rail at the heigth of the top of the axel housing. If its a non-traditional car, I set the frame rail so the top is at the bottom of the axel housing. These are justmock up reference points. To dial it in for looks and balance, I use a tire of the same heigth as what will be run on the car and adjust accordingly.

Ron

Thanks very much Fella's
The info is great. We are only allowed 4" from lowest part of the car to the ground. Which on a cleveland engine with a C10 transmission is the bellhousing and sump. I am just playing with different stances,
Ma-N-Pa-T sent through some good material as well(and some great pics of his car on the salt flats) thanks mate.
They all look great in the pics, thanks for those Jim and Bruce.

I have it sitting at the moment at 9" front to accomodate the bigger cleveland and just playing with the rear still to get the stance right.
Thanks for all the info. Will post some pics soon.

Shawn
Go Arizona Cardinals.

Ex Junk,

Is there a copy of the NSRA safety manual available somewhere on the Internet? I'm a member but don't have a copy. Looks like good information.

Bruce

Ex Junk,

Is there a copy of the NSRA safety manual available somewhere on the Internet? I'm a member but don't have a copy. Looks like good information.

Bruce

I can't tell you exactly how to get your own copy but perhaps this will help.

img036.jpg

img037.jpg

img038.jpg

img039.jpg

img040.jpg

img041-1.jpg

img042.jpg

img043.jpg

Jim

Jim,

Thanks.

Bruce

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back