Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

friction shocks

monkeyst

Hey guys, new to forum. Have a question about the friction shock setup. Now I hear tp uses 5/8 studs, 1 1/2" in lenght right, how is this setup mounted? Is it tapped into the frame rail and the nut locks it in place? The way I thought it was setup was with say using a about 26" 5/8" all thread rod? Please help me here.

Hey Al, thanks for the reply, you know I want to do a hyd. shock setup, but I dont like the look of tp's bracket, and havent found a setup that looks clean and simple like the friction shock setup. But yes I do agree with you on the comfort factor of going with hyd.

You know that setup CCR has actually looks pretty clean. Do you know of any image of that from the front, looks great from the side, but I could not find an image of the front?

monkeyst said:
You know that setup CCR has actually looks pretty clean. Do you know of any image of that from the front, looks great from the side, but I could not find an image of the front?

My setup is based on that design...

vbpgimage.php

Very nice, I like that design alot. I checked out CCR website and they have 2 different lengths, are you running the std. 9 1/2" or the short 7 1/2? What is the open, closed of your shocks?

monkeyst said:
Hey guys, new to forum. Have a question about the friction shock setup. Now I hear tp uses 5/8 studs, 1 1/2" in lenght right, how is this setup mounted? Is it tapped into the frame rail and the nut locks it in place? The way I thought it was setup was with say using a about 26" 5/8" all thread rod? Please help me here.

Are you refering to the "Torsion Bar" set up that is mounted inside the front Cross Member of the frame? This has splined ends that the arms clamp onto and a link from the arm to the front axle...
They are available from suppliers such as Speedways.
There are also some friction shocks that mount on the sides of the frame cross member, the studs are welded (?) onto the end caps of the front cross member , and rubber or leather friction discs are used under the arms that are connected to the axle...
I suggest that you NOT use "All Thread" on any of your suspension, all thread is very soft material and will easily twist off or break under stress.
There are also some friction shock units that are self contained and simply bolt onto the frame, these are available in polish aluminum as well as steel from Speeways....."BH"

Ahh, there we go, thanks alot Baby Huey, thats what I was thinking of the torsion bar setup.

How are the studs (for the friction shoh setup) mounted to the end cap of the front crossmember? Does anyone have a detailed picture of this?

monkeyst said:
Ahh, there we go, thanks alot Baby Huey, thats what I was thinking of the torsion bar setup.

How are the studs (for the friction shoh setup) mounted to the end cap of the front crossmember? Does anyone have a detailed picture of this?

Most of the Friction Shock set up's are all in one piece, they simply bolt on. You drill and tap two holes for mounting per side and bolt them onto the frame, hook up the link on the arm to the spring shackle or axle.
The center bolt or stud is used to adjust the friction on the material...(around 60 Ft Lbs..).
Heres a set up from Speedways..... Go to google and search "Friction Shocks"...... "BH"
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3799,366_Mr-Roadster-Friction-Shocks.html

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back