Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front End Identification Help

MichBucket

Good Morning All and Happy New Year. I just joined the forum a few days ago and now have my 10 posts. So, I was wondering if I could get some help identifying this front end.

Some measurements first (all approximate)....

KP to KP - 48-1/4"
Tube Dia - 2-1/8"
Drop - 2-1/2"
Hairpin mounting bolts - 46-5/8"
Hairpin length - 42"

Thanks in advance!

tbucket front end

You might try looking at Speedways axle chart. 48" sounds like 28 thru 36 years. Picture may help. May have to have more measurements to determine what brand of car it fits.

Thanks Chopped and OldRound. Well, interestingly enough, shortly after posting my question I found a thread that showed Gordon Hoy and Ceecs buckets and the axle was identified as a Chrysler double dip tube axle. So, that's good to know. The next question is...how can I get disc brakes on the thing and which Ford spindles will work? Any info out there?

IMHO, the Dodge axle has a 'cool' factor you may want to hang onto. Others have used them, so there are parts available, I'm just not sure which ones . . . :cool:

If you decide to go Ford, send me the Dodge.

Well, i wish I could 409, but if I go Ford, I have to sell the Dodge....unless you have a Ford to swap. Have heard that the Dodhe axle will run Ford spindles...an investigating that now because I really want disc brakes up front

I would stick with the Dodge axle. I remember an article from years ago about using Ford spindles. I not sure if I still have it. The Dodge axle will give you that unique from everyone else look.

Agreed on the uniqueness and Ford spindles are do able....the problem appears to be that the F spindles have 8 degees of positive camber in them. Which then means i have to find a way to bend the axle to remove the 8 degrees. Sigh...it's never easy.

Anybody that cab bend the axle will be able to get it right. Put front spindles and wheels on and go to the shop. On a trailer please!

Probably one of the coolest axles ever to be put on a Hot Rod, but cool doesn't come cheap. Keep it. Do some searching. There is a way to make it work for you.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back