Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front end question.

Zack

I have a TP rolling chassis all mocked up. I have noticed that the drivers front wheel has negative camber and the passenger front has positive camber. How can this be corrected on a dropped tube axle? The drivers side is very slight but enough to notice visually and the pass side is really not much of an issue to the eye.

Thanks
Zack

A picture would help here but I'm gonna guess ya got the passenger spindle upside down. Been there, done that.

Ron

Checked the spindles and they are on correct. So, I guess the alignment shop will have to bend it to get it straight? I have approx. 1 degree negative on the driver side and approx 1 degree positive on the pass side.

100_1305.jpg

I see that the spring hangers are not wide enough for that spring... The shackles should be pulled very tight and straight out, with no weight on the frame, as a matter of fact, you should always have to use a spring spreader to install a leaf spring, for it to be correct... Plus, I hope the shock top hangers are running all the way through the frame and welded to the bottom side as well as the top, because without any more gussets they will break right out of the frame... BTDT

I see that the spring hangers are not wide enough for that spring... The shackles should be pulled very tight and straight out, with no weight on the frame, as a matter of fact, you should always have to use a spring spreader to install a leaf spring, for it to be correct... Plus, I hope the shock top hangers are running all the way through the frame and welded to the bottom side as well as the top, because without any more gussets they will break right out of the frame... BTDT

Good point Ted. I will double check those shock mounts. What do you recommend for correcting the shackle problem? Also what are your thoughts on the -1 negative camber driver front and +1 positive camber pass front? Is this something that my alignment guy can fix by bending the tube slightly or what is the best and safest way to correct this problem?

Thanks

Whats wrong with using the rack thats setting there. Dwight

sorry guys posted on the wrong thread. Dwight

I'm gonna ask the obvious [ and this is not meant as a put down!] but when you checked your camber, you made sure the axle/frame is level , right?

dave

I'm gonna ask the obvious [ and this is not meant as a put down!] but when you checked your camber, you made sure the axle/frame is level , right?

dave

Yes, Everything else is spot on true. The LF wheel is noticeably leaning in at the top and the pass side is leaning out at the top. When i put a degree finder on it they are both out 1 degree +/-. Could this be a defect in the manufacture of the axle?

Next thing I'd do is find what's out of whack , axle tube , kingpin boss setup , or spindles , then you can figure out your next move .

dave

Checked the spindles and they are on correct. So, I guess the alignment shop will have to bend it to get it straight? I have approx. 1 degree negative on the driver side and approx 1 degree positive on the pass side.

100_1305.jpg
Just looking at this pictutre. Will there be enough room between the tie rod and the frame once you install the engine and tranny? From the picture looks like just about 1" of clearance.

I'd have the same concern as RPM. Check with Chassis Eng. for thier Model A dropped spindle arms.

Ron

It is actually kind of an illusion from the pic. There is plenty of room and i now have the engine and tranny installed. It all seems to work out good on that end. I am mainly concerned about the camber issues. It looks like everything else will line up pretty good.

It is actually kind of an illusion from the pic. There is plenty of room and i now have the engine and tranny installed. It all seems to work out good on that end. I am mainly concerned about the camber issues. It looks like everything else will line up pretty good.

OK great! I didn't know so I thought I would ask.

Engine is in and we don't have pics? We need those to keep breathing.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back