Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front end question.

As far as the spring goes and the hangers, if you keep all the hangers as they are, you will need a new main leaf, but! wait until you are finished, so you will have all the weight you will ever have, then you can get just the right length main, remember you will have to use a spring spreader to install it, or, hook up one side, put a block/brick ??? under the side you hooked up, so that the shackle is sitting straight out (no hanging) now block up the other side, under the main leaf with shackle installed, let the weight of the full car down now so that the spring will have to open by itself and slide the shackle hanger bolt into the bat wing, if it does not go completely down, and spread wide enough, have someone stand on the frame and make it go down enough to get the nut on the shackle hanger bolt, otherwise, you will need a spring spreader... Just how I would do it... Now if you need more clearance with your tie rod you can switch the ft. brakes side for side, which will put then to the front of the spindle and give plenty of room to put steering arms on the top of the spindles and to the rear where they are really supposed to be anyway... the front end alignment shop should be able to bend the axle to fix your camber problem, sounds like axle was not made right in the first place...

As far as the spring goes and the hangers, if you keep all the hangers as they are, you will need a new main leaf, but! wait until you are finished, so you will have all the weight you will ever have, then you can get just the right length main, remember you will have to use a spring spreader to install it, or, hook up one side, put a block/brick ??? under the side you hooked up, so that the shackle is sitting straight out (no hanging) now block up the other side, under the main leaf with shackle installed, let the weight of the full car down now so that the spring will have to open by itself and slide the shackle hanger bolt into the bat wing, if it does not go completely down, and spread wide enough, have someone stand on the frame and make it go down enough to get the nut on the shackle hanger bolt, otherwise, you will need a spring spreader... Just how I would do it... Now if you need more clearance with your tie rod you can switch the ft. brakes side for side, which will put then to the front of the spindle and give plenty of room to put steering arms on the top of the spindles and to the rear where they are really supposed to be anyway... the front end alignment shop should be able to bend the axle to fix your camber problem, sounds like axle was not made right in the first place...

Thanks for all the info Ted. I was told this frame and front suspension is a TP. I will look at the main spring again at a later date as you said when i get the car pretty much done. I really want it to ride good and track straight down the road for sure. Thanks again for the info.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back