Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

fuel line

tbucketlar

When running a fuel line what should the inside dimension of the line be? I am running a 350 chevy with 600 edelbrock. Thanks in advance, Lar

When running a fuel line what should the inside dimension of the line be? I am running a 350 chevy with 600 edelbrock. Thanks in advance, Lar
This is what I have always gone by:
Up to 250 HP = 5/16" or -04 AN
Up to 375 HP = 3/8" or -06 AN
Up to 700 HP = 1/2" or -08 AN
Up to 1000 HP = 5/8" or -10 AN
Up to 1500 HP = 3/4" or -12 AN

This is what I have always gone by:
Up to 250 HP = 5/16" or -04 AN
Up to 375 HP = 3/8" or -06 AN
Up to 700 HP = 1/2" or -08 AN
Up to 1000 HP = 5/8" or -10 AN
Up to 1500 HP = 3/4" or -12 AN
would it be ok to use 3/8 steel brake line? I'll see if I can put them together to cover my length. Is that safe to do it that way. Thanks Lar

would it be ok to use 3/8 steel brake line? I'll see if I can put them together to cover my length. Is that safe to do it that way. Thanks Lar
Most do use tin/galvanized steel brake/fuel line.I personally ran seamless stainless,and others I have seen ran aluminum.As far as put them together most are this way unless they bought the coil instead of stick lengths.Mine is broken down tank flex to filter hard line to electric fuel pump hard line to y block nippled to regulators flex to carbs.With any fuel line ;as long as its protected from damage,solidly held in place,and doesn't leak it is safe.

I have 8 AN braided stainless om mine. In years of building and racing drag cars and street rods I have learned that doing it right the first time will save headaches and eliminate safety hazards.

Stainless is probably the next choice.

See if you can find an NHRA rules book. They have descriptions of safe fuel systems.

For cheap you can go to a wrecking yard and pull the stainless line from many older V-8 cars and trucks and bend it. Short pieces of fuel rated rubber hose can be used to connect.

I wasted a lot of money and effort trying to run aluminum. Aluminum line will vibrate to pieces and any contact with chassis/parts will rub holes in it. Expansion and contraction will loosen fittings.

No one has mentioned minium radius of either fuel line or brake line bends. This is per tubing size. Also why the coiled tubing on some brake/fuel lines? This is around the master brake cylinder or the fire wall /fuel filter area.

John

No one has mentioned minium radius of either fuel line or brake line bends. This is per tubing size. Also why the coiled tubing on some brake/fuel lines? This is around the master brake cylinder or the fire wall /fuel filter area.

John

The coils are to handle the vibration and movement and minimize fracturing. The minimum radius will depend on the wall strength/malleability of the tubing. You have to try and see how tight you can bend it without it collapsing.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back