Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Has anyone tried Dyna Beads?

Lee_in_KC

I have really bad rear tire shake between 55 and 60 mph. Looking down at the tires at that speed, it looks like they are out of round, however, if I jack up the car and rotate the tires against a straight edge, there is no apparent run-out. The tires (Hoozer 31-18.50-15s) were dynamically balanced on the car.

I'm desperate to cure this problem, so I'm thinking of trying the Dyna Beads. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

Dyna Beads

I tried them on some mud tires I could not get to balance. They work alright, just remember to let the folks at the tire shop know you have them in there.

Funny when they try to balance your tires on the machine, all I wanted was a rotate!

I have really bad rear tire shake between 55 and 60 mph. Looking down at the tires at that speed, it looks like they are out of round, however, if I jack up the car and rotate the tires against a straight edge, there is no apparent run-out. The tires (Hoozer 31-18.50-15s) were dynamically balanced on the car.

I'm desperate to cure this problem, so I'm thinking of trying the Dyna Beads. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

Dyna Beads
I think Big Dog and Luggy on the NTBA are using them.

Yes I have used them on my old Septic truck 385-65-22.5 and kept them in balance. When I worked at a tire shop we also put them in large 4wheel drive truck tires since they are known for uneven wear never had complaints.Just put the right amount in for the tire size.Also no tape weights which is positive. What ever you do never use fix a flat with these or in my opinion never on a street tire.

Lee, Does that have a posi? You may have to check the tire diameter to each other, and have them trued to be the very same size, but balance or flat spots from sitting can sure cause this problem also... IMHO :)
No posi. Shouldn't have been flat spots, as I was experiencing the shake throughout the 120-mile cruise I was on yesterday.

No posi. Shouldn't have been flat spots, as I was experiencing the shake throughout the 120-mile cruise I was on yesterday.
Wheel\axle bearing?

Wheel\axle bearing?
Wheels were tested for run-out and balance before the tires were mounted. They were perfect (good ol' American-made Center Lines!). Axle bearings were rebuilt to factory spec when I overhauled the Jag. Have about 2000 miles on them.

I would bet a paycheck it's the tires. The right one is worse than the left one. I'm thinking there is a heavy spot in the carcass or tread of the tire that is setting up a harmonic with the pavement between 55 and 60 mph. That's why I'm thinking the Dyna Beads might help.

Some tire shops have a machine called either road force or load force balancer. Ford had my tires done on my 99 Cobra when they where warranty chasing a buzz with the independent rear. Might get some results.

Some tire shops have a machine called either road force or load force balancer. Ford had my tires done on my 99 Cobra when they where warranty chasing a buzz with the independent rear. Might get some results.
The shop that mounted my tires claimed they were force balanced. I have no way of knowing if that is true. They did not charge me extra. I may take the tires/wheels to another shop that specializes in hi-po set-ups if I can find one.

Lee, I tried to run a set of new Micky Thompson rear tires, well they sat over night after I bought them, I never could get the flat spot out of them, because my car was not heavy enough to get them totally flat again... I tried doing a burn out from water, but that did not get them round again, so they took the tires back and gave me the type that do not get flat spots from sitting... I don't remember at what speed it was the worst acting... But, I think now that you are right and need to find another tire Doctor and get them balanced all over again if it happens at a curtain speed every time...

Lee

I'm running Dyna Beads in my front tires. They do seemed to have helped. I believe that my front brake drums are out of balance. I had the tires and wheels road force balanced, but that doesn't do anything about the drums. Nobody in my area has an old on-car balancer.

I left the wheel wieghts in place since the wheel/tire combo was in balance. I was only concerned with the drum imbalance. I added 3 ounces to each tire and I might experiment with more later.

The Goldwing motorcycle forums were where I first heard about them. Most of the guys using them have nothing bad to say about them. They are a mess to deal with when the tire is removed from the rim.

Mike

I had a terrible shake that two tire shops spin balancing machines failed to balance out a few years back, so on a trip down into Mexico, I stopped once again for balancing. The guys there used an old electric motor with a pulley on it to spin the rears (front drive car), and they used the car's engine to spin the fronts. Within 15 minutes, they had all 4 balanced and no more shake (and charged me only a couple bucks to do it). Really makes a believer out of me for balancing as installed on the vehicle, instead of on a balancing machine. They didn't even have one of those clip on gizmos to move the weights around while the wheel is spinning, they did it by eye sight, feel, and trying the weights here and there until the shake was gone.

Since then, and since I mostly install my own tires anyway, (I have an old Coates tire machine, and I really hate for anyone else to even touch my machines), I first bubble balance them, then spin them and play with the weights until no more shake. Sure, it's old school, but it works really well, in fact much better than a spin balancer, since it takes all the rotating parts into account (brakes, axles, etc.)! If you have an open diff., give it a try.

Chock the car really well, and I mean REALLY WELL, then jack up one rear wheel, and spin it up with the engine. Increase and decrease speeds slowly so the car doesn't try to fly off the chocks. Find the RPM with the worst shake (you will be amazed at how bad things can get to shaking). If your eyes are really good, you may be able to see the heavy spot without any aid as the tire moves up and down, (or I imagine you can use a strobe to stop the wheel in motion). Even if you have no idea where to put the weight or how much, add some weight to one side of the wheel. Try it again, see if it's worse or better, if worse, apply the weight to the opposite side. When it improves, add a second weight 1/4 way away from that one, and try again. By moving things around, you will very shortly start improving the shake a bunch. Using heavier and lighter weights and moving them around carefully, you can soon figure out what it needs. Often you can control all the shake by adding weights to only one side of the wheel, sometimes you have to go to the other side of the wheel after getting the first side as good as you can. Wheels that need stickon weights make it a pain to do all this... If you are careful and methodical, in 15 or 20 minutes, your problem of shake will be gone.

Going to run up over 100 mph? Don't do any of this, find a shop that can spin them on the vehicle for you. Spinning that much weight can be dangerous at those speeds! Remember, when spinning with the engine and one wheel is on the ground, at 30mph on the speedo the spinning tire is really going 60mph! And, NEVER stand in front of or behind a car with a wheel spinning like that...

Just what I do... certainly not for everyone, and especially not for the panzies...
Corley

I had a terrible shake that two tire shops spin balancing machines failed to balance out a few years back, so on a trip down into Mexico, I stopped once again for balancing. The guys there used an old electric motor with a pulley on it to spin the rears (front drive car), and they used the car's engine to spin the fronts. Within 15 minutes, they had all 4 balanced and no more shake (and charged me only a couple bucks to do it). Really makes a believer out of me for balancing as installed on the vehicle, instead of on a balancing machine. They didn't even have one of those clip on gizmos to move the weights around while the wheel is spinning, they did it by eye sight, feel, and trying the weights here and there until the shake was gone.

Since then, and since I mostly install my own tires anyway, (I have an old Coates tire machine, and I really hate for anyone else to even touch my machines), I first bubble balance them, then spin them and play with the weights until no more shake. Sure, it's old school, but it works really well, in fact much better than a spin balancer, since it takes all the rotating parts into account (brakes, axles, etc.)! If you have an open diff., give it a try.

Chock the car really well, and I mean REALLY WELL, then jack up one rear wheel, and spin it up with the engine. Increase and decrease speeds slowly so the car doesn't try to fly off the chocks. Find the RPM with the worst shake (you will be amazed at how bad things can get to shaking). If your eyes are really good, you may be able to see the heavy spot without any aid as the tire moves up and down, (or I imagine you can use a strobe to stop the wheel in motion). Even if you have no idea where to put the weight or how much, add some weight to one side of the wheel. Try it again, see if it's worse or better, if worse, apply the weight to the opposite side. When it improves, add a second weight 1/4 way away from that one, and try again. By moving things around, you will very shortly start improving the shake a bunch. Using heavier and lighter weights and moving them around carefully, you can soon figure out what it needs. Often you can control all the shake by adding weights to only one side of the wheel, sometimes you have to go to the other side of the wheel after getting the first side as good as you can. Wheels that need stickon weights make it a pain to do all this... If you are careful and methodical, in 15 or 20 minutes, your problem of shake will be gone.

Going to run up over 100 mph? Don't do any of this, find a shop that can spin them on the vehicle for you. Spinning that much weight can be dangerous at those speeds! Remember, when spinning with the engine and one wheel is on the ground, at 30mph on the speedo the spinning tire is really going 60mph! And, NEVER stand in front of or behind a car with a wheel spinning like that...

Just what I do... certainly not for everyone, and especially not for the panzies...
Corley
I have never seen this method. Do any of the chain store do this?

i tried some type of balancing beads cost my about sixty bucks total and did not work called the manufactur and they said it whould not work on that wide of a tire took it out and had them rebalanced and good to go and i am running 18.50 x 31 bias mts

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back