Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Have noticed a trend starting.....

Screaming Metal

Hey there, as the few years I've been here, I've noticed alot of 305's being put into our rods. I'm writing this just to touch on the base of diff. motors and different sizes. Theres alot to pick out there folks......

Mike, who has gotten on the Jazz several times about the 305's, these motors have basically a good design. They were small, inexpensive to operate, as long as you sold them before the heads cracked. They were dependable, up to a point.
If you were given a motor and decided to hop it up some, fine. I just want folks to know you can-not build a world class hi-horse 305 without a ALOT of Parts and Alot of MONEY! IT CAN BE DONE, BUT WHY??????
You can build a 4 thats a killer, then you got the 265- 400 smallblocks, and a ton of parts out there to build destrokers and strokers, by swapping out cranks and using the correct rod lengths withthe right pistons.
On of my favorite motors to build is a old 400 cu.in. destroker that folks used to run back in the early to mid 80's sprint cars. Wolfgang in the old outlaw classes loved then along with the rest of the guys.

While there are still plenty of car parts out there for us to build, they're starting to dwendle some. Cores are starting to be used where they were not in the years past. Alot of our older salvage yars are being bought up pennies on the pound. They're starting to melt down the valued old motors and parts, as the economy tightens. Our Motors are starting to disappear right out from under us!

There was this fella from Brazil that wanted to build a 4 cylinder to go in a bucket. I say great! Did anyone see that blazinly fast pass of the 4 cyl. Mike posted? No, its not a V8, nor would I want to run against it if I had a 426 Hemi with 2x4's. It was built and it was right! A league all its own!

The money you spend for a 305 is the same, if not more than a 350. All I'm saying is look around and see if you can't find a 350......since you'll pay more for the 305 in parts, you've already paid for your sonic testing and magnafluxing of block and heads and a few other things, plus that extra 50 cu.inches is hard to beat out there on the street!

There is a consensus. Cu. Inches Rule on the street! Those cu.in.'s don't need to run to the ragged edge of explosion to unleash TONS of HORSEPOWER! You can make the same amount of power from a smallblock mouse motor all tricked out as you can from a mildly built blown big block.
That smallblock will be very temperamental and moody, chew up parts and on the verge of parts failure.
That blown big block is nowhere near being stressed out, the cars and cam will be alot tamer, and the overall health of that motor will make it live for alot of years without serious engine worries. I've seen street motors with 6-71s and 8-71s going on 10 years with over 100K on them and still going strong. And all they'll need is reringing.
Just something to think about! Turbocharging is a way to go also......and is a little less expensive mechanically....just depends on your sense of style.

As far as good motors out there.....theres old PONTIACS, BUICKS, OLDS motors out there that are just waiting to be put into buckets and the parts are cheap. These range fron 350 to 455 cu.in's!!!!! Whens the last time you was a 318 DODGE in one? The Caddys have some big inch killer motors that all they need is a cam and intake with some headers.....the bottom ends can withstand runs into the 5000-6000 range easily.
One of the nastiest motors out there was made by AMC.....worth looking into and theres a lot of speed equip. out there for the racing folks......

Just a little something to get the gray matter stirring............

Heres a recent study I just did with a potental customer.
All out all aluminum 355 Chev SB w/ Tunnelram and 2x4's 8700+ redline, 675 to 750 horses.....$16, 500.00 Balance/ Blueprinted, run in on dyno, delivered. Warranty-none
454 cast block truck motor w/steel rods & Crank, 4 bolt mains, KB forged 7.5 to 1 pistons, street roller valvetrane, Reworked Dyers 6-71 blower with 3" Gilmer. MSD AL6, Balanced / Blue Printed Run and dyno tuned. delivered. Warranty- 90 days on parts and labor. $8500.00------600 horses guaranteed.
(THIS MOTOR PUT OUT ALMOST 400 HORSES STOCK, WITH PUMP GAS!!!!!! AND A BLOWER ON THIS MOTOR ......200 hp EASILY!)

For some people, like me, choice is about money and availability. My 305 was cheap, easy to find and good. I got what I was looking for and I'm happy.

What gets me is people building mega motors for a car that will never get to REALLY use the power on the street. My 305 is quick enough and reliable. I'd rather be driving, instead of trying to fix an $8,000 engine. I grin when I read about someone dropping money for a 600HP engine and then putting it into a car that only needs 250HP. Horsepower is cool and I like the numbers some folks have produced, but it's overkill in a 2,000 lb. car, unless your racing and last time I looked there weren't a lot of racers running street driven T Buckets.

Let's see. 600HP, a chassis and suspension based on a 90year old design and no roll bar. Sounds kinda crazy for a street car. I bet the people running that much power in a bucket have never seen it, due to fear and or common sence.

But hell, to each his own. Happy motoring and all that crap.

Agree with both or ya...If you have the choice of SBC's, I'd pick a clean 350 any day and for a few bucks at the swap meet, have a sweet motor. That being said, these small cars don't 'need' big engines to "feel the power", and I can appreciate guys who are on a limited budget doing with what they have or can get. Our current T build is a 283 SBC. Why? Because we had it, and it will push the 1800lb T down the road just fine with no hassle. This 283 was in my dad's 27 and was taken out when he put a 425hp 383 stroker in it. He's since taken the 383 out in favor of a warmed over 350. I built a 302 SBF for mine as I wanted it to be reliable on long cruises and have decent manners around town. It will spin them at will, but has plenty of control.

Different strokes for different folks... I can appreciate them all.

My bone stock, cast iron everything, quadrajetted no performance parts at all 350SBC has enough to impress almost everyone that rides or drives my little hotrod.

It was enough power to break a rear radius rod LOL.

It also gets me down the highway with over 20 mpg, and I only have $1500 in it.

don't get me wrong - I love the fancy high performance stuff, but on the shoestring budget I live by, it's not much of an option for me. Money is no object? Yeah I'd probably build a Blown BBF with shiny everything, and shred expensive tires every day.

Guys, what I'm saying is its all good! And the little 305 is good. Its plenty for a little T! The heads are crap, so, if you can buy a 305 that was running about 3 years ago.....its just been sitting up. For the same money, ole Elmo back at packards pic a lot has a bone stock 350, hasn't been run in 5 years, was covered up and you heard it the last time it ran. OR a 302, or a 327, or a 283.....whatever. I know alot of ya'll go with whats handy and thats cool. I've done the same thing!
And I'm saying this to the folks that are doing the 305's, doing a mild buildup and all, and dressing them up. Cool! I can go with that! BUT, BUT those crappy little heads can cause a perfectly good rebuilt motor to go down the tubes. I just last week saw one pumping antifreeze into #3 & #5.....ruining the block, also leaking thru the bolthole, putting water and antifreeze into the oilpan.
The guy lost #3 & 5, and he spun a bearing on the mains, thanks to this little incident.

Ya'll know other heads will fit the 305's......if it were a stock 305, the heads would go to the scrapyard to scrap prices. I don't like most of the hi-dollar stuff cause some of it has a hi-dollar tag attached saying it takes other hi-dollar stuff to run it! The SB chevys, most everything will interchange. Same with the majority of the BB stuff.

Everyone, when ya'll decide to run whatever motor in your rods.....just read up on them and make a informed decision. To each their own, I say! I just hate to see folks get their hard earned money, build a motor and just pour it down the sink!

I went with a 1959 casting of a 283, for a "C" note, it had a steel crank, set of rods, main and rod caps. He had an old set of NOS pop up pistons (11to1) he threw in on the deal that were .120 over. Before I said yes to it, I sent the block down to get sonic tested for the big over bore (301cu in) bought a set of bearings had the reciprocating assembly balanced. I found a set of 72cc heads to drop the CR to run on pump gas and threw a reground cam in her. All added up to be really cheap IMHO. For what I wanted and for the availability of the parts and cost, I couldn't pass it up. I'm going to run a small Holley (570CFM) and it should be ok gas mileage wise, prolley do a bunch better with a triple duese rochester setup but will not do that. I think use whatever is cost feasible and a good deal. If I could of found a rebuilt 307 that needed nothing all the better. You are correct though if you have to go the total rebuild route, you might as well get the cu inches.
Steve

Back when I was building a truck for my teenage son, I didn't think he needed a high horsepower motor, but I still wanted to do something in a V8 for him. I had a buddy that had a late 80's one piece rear main 305 laying around that he wasn't going to use and picked it up for free.

The motor that was in the truck was a mid 80's 305 and had decent( I know that's an oxymoron when discussing 305 heads) 58 cc truck heads which I had freshened up. I also did a little pocket porting and gasket matching to an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold.

The short block got a stock rebuild with flat top 305 pistons 030 over. Compression ratio was around 10 to 1(premium gas required). The cam had specs very similar to a 300HP 327.

The ignition was a performance type HEI and the carb was a 600 cfm Edelbrock. Yeah, I know it was oversized for a 305, but it too was free!

The exhaust used Hedman Elite headers with 2 1/4" exhaust pipes and Flowmaster series 40 mufflers. Trans was a stock 700R4 and the rear gears were 3.42's.

What's all this have to do with a bucket? That motor would have fooled just about anyone who drove the truck into thinking that it had a nice 350 under the hood. It sounded good and had more power than I thought it would. And yet it could get 20 mpg in a 3500 lb. truck if driven right.

I'll agree with Sreaming Metal, if you want the most HP for your dollar, then build the biggest engine you can afford, but I could be happy with a similar 305 setup in a bucket, especially if I bumped the gears up to 3.73 or 4.11's. I had actually picked up a 283 originally for my car, but it had a bad cylinder and was going to need a sleeve. The 350 I wound up using was just in better shape.

I believe that 305 in my son's truck could get 25 mpg or better in a light bucket and give most everything it runs up against a helluva run(except another bucket with a bigger motor). I know that the mention of "fuel economy" makes some hot rod folks cringe and roll their eyes, but if you can get acceptable performance and good mpg's, why not?

My 2 cents.

Mike

My 305 was givin to me for free freshened it up with new gaskets,rings and bearings not my motor of choice figured id run it for the first year then build a nice 350 for next year

Jay I build the engines I know and like. As far as it being a POS, I could say the same thing about anything Blue Oval. That doesn't prove anything except that when pushed all I could do is revert to name calling.

The small block Chevy has a traditional history in Ford hot rods going back to when it was first intoduced. It just fit better than the Ford engines of the day since it was similar in size and weight to the flathead.

I heard Shelby say in an interview that he had originally approached GM about buying the 327 Chevy for the Cobra, but GM didn't want the Corvette to have that kind of competition. The 260 and later 289 from Ford was his second choice. There had to be a reason for his original choice. He didn't think it was a POS and I figure he knows more about engines than most anybody here.

Mike

No need to appoligise, Hotrod46. Everyones got thier favorite engine. I don't think anyone is getting in a fit about it. A little fun discussion and some brand badgering causes no harm. I'm sure no one is going to shoot a puppy over anything that's written here. So....

My dad was a Chevy guy till the day he died. I guess I am too because of him, but I can appreciate anything that does what it's supposed to do. Hell, when I was looking for my engine, anything that was good and cheap would have worked. I had my eyes on a 302 Ford when I was planning my build, but the guy sold it a week before I ordered my engine and tranny mounts. Then, I had a choice of a 350 SBC or a 305. The 350 was $650 and the 305 was $400. I got the 305. If I had had plans to modify my motor, I would have saved for the 350, but knowing power to weight ratio, I figured a stock 305 would be enough and the cost difference paid for other stuff I needed.

As far as the 305 being prown to being a bad motor, ANYTHING not taken care of can fail. I've heard of all makes and sizes breaking. I think the 305 is a good engine. Hell, if it wasn't, there wouldn't have been so many of them out there.

As for putting a Chevy in a Ford.... I would have put chained monkeys in my car, if I would have had enough of them and the cost was right. Would have been a little noisy though. I can't believe some folks really think putting a ______ in a ______ is wrong. Kinda funny.

It is in all fun, I'm sure.
Here is a pic of my bowtie 301 cu in small block that is sitting between the frame rails of my T

P1130446.JPG

Justas well we are all different, or we might as well all drive Toyotas..

My old blown 454 had 627 hp and the new one will be closer to 800hp (real hp not the magic kind that come out of keyboards) But i do race it, and its got a 6 point cage hat I was going to use for one summer and then remove. Six summers later its still bolted in the car. But big cubes (540 BBC) and a 671 blower takes some feeding, and its all a bit of a compromise really.

But I wouldnt go back to a small block and I wouldnt ever want a bucket again without a blower. But I may build a street focused 454 with a blower again & fit that up when Im done racing.

Sure 800hp is pretty useless on the street, but its great at a dragstrip. And some of us like show AND go. We are hot rodders so we dont need to compriomise on our dreams

Todd

Any one running a 327? I always thought that would be the perfect engine for a light hotrod, short stroke and high revvin.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back