Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Have noticed a trend starting.....

Justas well we are all different, or we might as well all drive Toyotas..

My old blown 454 had 627 hp and the new one will be closer to 800hp (real hp not the magic kind that come out of keyboards) But i do race it, and its got a 6 point cage hat I was going to use for one summer and then remove. Six summers later its still bolted in the car. But big cubes (540 BBC) and a 671 blower takes some feeding, and its all a bit of a compromise really.

But I wouldnt go back to a small block and I wouldnt ever want a bucket again without a blower. But I may build a street focused 454 with a blower again & fit that up when Im done racing.

Sure 800hp is pretty useless on the street, but its great at a dragstrip. And some of us like show AND go. We are hot rodders so we dont need to compriomise on our dreams

Todd
Well like they say once you have been "blown" everything else sucks!
I know what you mean, I have had a turbo on a 351 Windsor and now running an eaton blown Lightning truck, not near your hp level but I'm sure we both get the point. :angel:

It is in all fun, I'm sure.
Here is a pic of my bowtie 301 cu in small block that is sitting between the frame rails of my T

P1130446.JPG

Now that is sweet!

Well like they say once you have been "blown" everything else sucks!
I know what you mean, I have had a turbo on a 351 Windsor and now running an eaton blown Lightning truck, not near your hp level but I'm sure we both get the point. :angel:
Here ya go if ya like them Ford trucks. This is supposed to be the worlds fastest Harley truck. This truck had 17 miles on it when they cut it up. keep in mind this is a 4.6 engine and it tips the scales with the driver at 3600 lbs.

I had an 871 blower on my little 305 up until recently... 607.5hp... hoot to drive, but honestly, a bit much... plus 6mpg got me a 48 mile max range...

I have a 305 in my T. It came with the car and to this point has been a good unit. Came out of an IrocZ camaro. Outside of a couple of leaks due to not enough miles going on it each year has been good for over 7,000 miles

:dunno: My T build will be powered by a 304 AMC v8 because it is what I had. Transmission is 4 speed overdrive stick from a Ford F
150 Also because it was what I had and it bolts up to the AMC bellhousing. Like was stated different strokes for different folks and budgets.

:dunno: My T build will be powered by a 304 AMC v8 because it is what I had. Transmission is 4 speed overdrive stick from a Ford F
150 Also because it was what I had and it bolts up to the AMC bellhousing. Like was stated different strokes for different folks and budgets.

That's the true sprit of 'rodding, isn't it? Use what you have.

My 304 GremlinX left a lot of jaws hanging open back in the day. Left a few guys behind who thought their 4-bbl/350 pickups were badass until they met Mr. Gremlin. I got accused of running a big block more than once. Momentum, more than a suggestion, it's the law. What they didn't know was that my little car weighed 2600 or so to their 5000+ - they lost before they even pulled up to the stop line.

Yeah, those 304 powered Gremlins back in the early 70's were cool. I still remember the AMC commercial that they used back then, "Hey toots where is the rest of your car".

There isn't anything wrong with a 305 if your looking for cheap, reliable power. They are just a 350 with a smaller bore.
The TBI 305 in my firebird gets 20-25mpg highway and is rolling past 150K miles. Think of all the V8 cars and pickups GM made in the 1980's and 1990's... Most came with 305's. If you look around you can find a good runner for free to cheap..

Not all the heads that came on the 305 where total crap.. The '416 and vortec heads are decent.

The only major downfall with the 305 is when you want to build big power. The small bore really makes it hard since you can't just slap big valve heads on there...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back