Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Head Gaskets wow so many.

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm changing my heads to Vortec heads.
I need to get a set of head gaskets. So many to choise from.
My bore is 4.030.
Can I use a stock 4.000 bore gasket?
I'm not looking to pay over $25 per gasket. I was looking at rockauto. They have some from Fel-pro for $10 each. They are the same thing as my local part store sells for $16.99 each.
Rockauto also has some from Victor Reinz that look ok for $16.97 each.
The note on the Victor Reinz says "Steel Material: Nitroseal with Stainless Flanges; Cylindrical Combustion Chamber"
Is that any good?
Is their a different brand I should look at?
What should I look for?
Speedway is local to me. They have some SuperSeal ones for $16.99 each.

Well, there are as many head gaskets as there are types and shades of paint! I'm not kidding. You got thick ones, you got thin ones, you have coated ones you have laminated ones, you have steel ones with o-rings built into them, copper ones, so on and so forth. All of them have different uses, and I use alot of different ones, since I am a Pro Engine Builder.
You said you are changing heads. Steel or Aluminum? Studs or bolts? What compression are you running? All these things have a bearing on your choice.
For a normally aspirated motor, 9/9.5 to 1, on gas, a good nothing super fancy old Hi performance American HotRod motor, go the the std. Sealed Power or Fel-Pro coated gaskets. They seal alot better, will take alot of abuse, resist seeping and don't blow easily. And they are not super expensive.
Just be sure to get all your deck surfaces clean, wipe the deck down on both the block and head with some acetone, get it squeaky clean, make sure all the crap is out of your bores, then it wouldn't hurt to hit your block deck with a hand conditioning pad. Clean out all your bolt holes to put in your studs or bolts....and use a light machine oil to lube your threads to get a good accurate torque reading. There is a special oil that you can use, but for street motors, its expensive.
Then torque things down in 3 stages. 1st is hand tight, oh, about 10 lbs. then in sequence to 25, then reset your torque wrench, give the final torque to book specs.
Let sit for a few hours, then recheck your final torque....you'll find a few probably you'll snug a little....

Be sure all your threads and nuts are clean. A wire brush is your best friend when it comes to threads....

Yes, std. head gaskets are plenty big enough for .030 over....

Oh Yes, if your going aluminum, get some antiseize, on a rifle brush, and put a little into your bolt holes, all of them. Also, in your intake and exhaust bolt holes, and valvecover hold down holes....
Do the same on your alum. intake....
A few years from now when you change something, your bolts will be glad your did. Your wallet also....

compression is 9.5 to 1. They are cast heads.
I'll get the Fel-pro ones from Rockauto.

Thank you.

get the Victor Reinz ones they are good head gaskets. i wouldn't use the 10 bux fel-pro ones on the vortec heads.

Well, just for reading while on the john or where-ever. You can raise your compression by going with thinner gaskets. Some gaskets resist blowing when a turbo or a charger is putting out boost, so on and so forth. Why put a head gasket on thats more expensive and won't seal as well on a stock motor?
Reminds me of Grumpy drilling holes in his headers, by the end of that meet, everyone had holes drilled in their headers, claiming slightly improved ETs and more throttle response.
Reason for the holes....so he could take each cylinders running temp....

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Head_gasket

I'm going with the fel-pro gasket.
They are a bit cheaper if I order them from rockauto. If I happen to damage one for any reason during install I can pick up another one from the auto parts store quick.
Anything else I would have to reorder and wait again.

My heads are at the machine shop right now. Should have them back on Saturday.

Got bad new from the machine shop a few hours ago. A couple of the exhaust ports are cracked..

Time for those aluminum heads you been wanting.

I wish.
I'm going to get new cast vortec heads next week. I should have done that in the first place. But trying to save a buck.
Live and learn.
I have these broken ones for cores at least.

Ordered my intake manifold, head gaskets, and head bolts. Then heads next week. Every thing else I can get local.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back