Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Heads up, everybody - PLEASE READ

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
VIP Member
Supporting Member
I seem to be running into an ongoing problem of late and we need to get it straightened out before someone gets angry, thinking they've been ignored.

If someone sends you a Private Message, the forum will send an e-mail to the e-mail address in your profile. This e-mail is sent from an address on this domain, which I'll not include to frustrate the e-mail scrapers that ignore our robots.txt file.

This e-mail will arrive with the following Subject - You have been sent a new personal conversation

Good stuff, as this will flag you up that someone is trying to reach you and that you need to log into the forum to reply to them. (Pay real close attention to that last part.)

In an effort to save you time, the text of the Private Message is included in the e-mail, so you can see how time critical the PM might be. Below is a sample -

Jane Doe,

John Doe has sent you a new personal conversation entitled "What's for dinner?".

John Doe said:
======================================================================
What are you making for dinner? I am famished, so be sure to make plenty!
======================================================================

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!
You can reply to this personal conversation by following the link below:

And a convenient link is inserted here, so you can click on it and be taken to the log-in for your Messenger.

When Jane logs into the forum, she sees she has a message from John that requires a reply. She opens her Messenger, composes a reply saying she is making reservations for dinner and sends the PM to John. Easy-peasy.

Remember how that has all been explained? PM gets sent to your account, e-mail gets sent from an e-mail addy on this domain to your e-mail addy, after which you log into the forum to send a reply.

Why do you need to log into the forum to send a reply? Because the e-mail is merely a notice. And the e-mail is sent from one of my e-mail addresses. Which is why the notice clearly states, in capital letters, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL! See that? PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!

If Jane ignores that bit and replies directly to the e-mail, guess who finds out what she's making for dinner? ME! Now John is out buying flowers and candy, because he thinks Jane ignored him. Flowers, candy AND dinner reservations is going to drain John's wallet.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL! Failing to follow directions will send the e-mail to me and not your intended recipient. I have managed to pare myself down to 'just' 22 e-mail accounts :thumb:, four of which are connected to four different forums. With all the e-mail coming and going in and out of here, I simply do not have time (nor will I take the time) to sort who the intended recipient was meant to be. So your conversation dies a grisly death in my Inbox. Private messages are meant to be PRIVATE, so please do not send them to me.

ford4ever, you might want to ask your question about powdercoating a second time. I could fill you in on the details, but it's not really my story to tell. :hoist:

I also noticed a number by my login name when I had a message. Until I Read it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back