Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Holy Crap!

tfeverfred

You know, I REALLY didn't have any idea about just how quick these things are. Now, I do. I got two things accomplished today. I installed my throttle cable and pedal and I glassed in my seat box.

The seat box went better than I thought. I didn't make too much of a mess and it looks really good. Pics tomorrow. Now, to the throttle. I'm using a Lokar spoon pedal and a Spectre braided steel cable. Everything went like it was supposed to. I installed that after the gas pedal and throttle cable, so it could set up all night.

Well, needless to say, since I had the throttle hooked up..... maybe I need to "test" it.:lol: YUP! I cranked her over, romped on the throttle a bit, pulled into the street and let her go! Well, slowly at first, I wanted to get used to the gas pedal position and the brake pedal. that took 15 seconds. Then, it was on!

THE RUSH OF AIR IN MY FACE! EYES GOT A LITTLE WATERY 'CAUSE I DON'T HAVE A WINDSHIELD YET! THINGS GOING BY REALLY, REALLY FAST! PEOPLE STARING! MY HAT FLYING OFF AND TURNING AROUND TO PICK IT UP WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF THE CAR! THE GUY IN THE SHOP NEXT DOOR LAUGHING HIS BUTT OFF, AS I ZOOMED BY!

Then, calm. A wave of self awareness of what I had accomplised. I had built a hot rod. My FIRST hot rod. It ran and stopped and hauled butt. Then, the sound. Oh that beautiful sound of exhaust rapping out of the exhaust pipes.

I knew the little gas can I have hooked up wouldn't last long, so I only drove for about a mile. Plus, it was in the afternoon and my luck with the police was being pushed today.

I pulled back in to the parking lot, turned her off and just laughed, and yelled. I was kinda shaking a bit from excitement. I could feel my heart trying to go 600 beats a minute. Freaking awesome!

You guys that are building ... DO NOT STOP! Every human on the planet needs to feel this good!

No video of this, but it won't be long. I'm trying to rig up something to hold the camera.

RPM said:
You'll never get that smile off your face. Nothing like that first ride.

You got that right! I feel so sad for the people who couldn't figure out why I was smiling, but then, I really don't care.:lol: I really can't remember the last time I felt so purely happy! It was great!:D

I remember the first T's I ever built. No windshield no gas pedal but as soon as I got it running I hooked a wire to the carb for a test run. I pulled the wire and it threw me back which made me pull the wire a little harder. What a rush! That was a bunch of buckets ago. It's still a rush!!!!!!!!
Congrats on your first Rod

Welcome to the brotherhood Fred. It's kinda fun to sit somewhere and all of a sudden remember that rush. I promise you, you'll get that smile back on your face. The real fun is that the folks around you haven't a clue why you're grinnin' from ear to ear.

When I first get to an event with alot of cars, I smile because everybody else is smiling. I usually don't stop to think "why" this is. Then I get to remember that these are special cars, special dreams, and a great, pure sense of happiness. Fred, so happy for you, nothing like the basic rush, and fun after realizing you did "THIS"!! And you get to keep driving, and looking at "what you have done, for a long time to come. Have to stop by and pick you up on the way to Springfield, soon!!!:D

Congradulations Fred,

I'm really close to getting that Grin on my face to. It's just a bit cold right now. 29 degrees. I'm really happy for you.

thomas:)

hehehe Thanks guys! I did it again today too!:D It was a little warmer and a lot less traffic, so I went a "little" faster! Great fun and best therapy in the world.

It was also good to see that nothing had worked it's way loose, but a pre-flight check is something I'll always do with this car.

tfeverfred said:
hehehe Thanks guys! I did it again today too!:D It was a little warmer and a lot less traffic, so I went a "little" faster! Great fun and best therapy in the world.

It was also good to see that nothing had worked it's way loose, but a pre-flight check is something I'll always do with this car.
At least the first few times cause trust me you will have things that you MEANT to tighten.LOL Glad to see you gettin a big grin on just watch the PO-lice

Where's another video Fred?

I can't wait till spring 'till it's my turn .....25 to 35 cm of snow starting tonight :(
OK I'm jealous
Terry

Yogi said:
Where's another video Fred?

:lol:My neighbor took one today, but he has an old style camera and it records on disc. He has about 10 minutes of various footage of me and my car. he's waiting until he fills the disc before he gets me a copy. It should be great. I REALLY let her go today! Chirped the tires a few times and made a nice power run!:hooray:

Trust me, it will entertain.:toast:

Way to go Fred! Thanks for the report! You are going to be going absolutely nuts when you get the car licensed and get to pull out of the drive for the first time and don't have to look over your shoulder for the cops or turn around before you want to.

Dale in McAllen

WDP said:
Way to go Fred! Thanks for the report! You are going to be going absolutely nuts when you get the car licensed and get to pull out of the drive for the first time and don't have to look over your shoulder for the cops or turn around before you want to.

Dale in McAllen
Oh he'll look for da cops.Everytime he takes off it will be just a tad more forcefull untill the dacops set up for him.happens around here alotBUT it usually is to take a peep at it and if Freds wheels arent straight up in the air they let you pass.

tfeverfred said:
....Chirped the tires a few times and made a nice power run!

Next thing you'll know o'l Fred will turning that stock motor in to a full blown . tire melting mean machine.:hooray:

:eek:Hero?:eek: I'm just a crazy guy trying to live out his teenage dream and shock the sheep in their factory stock commutermobiles. Like everybody else who builds hot rods!:welcome:

I'm inspired NOW. Going out in the middle of Michigan Winter to work on mine some more. Hey Thomas : About ready to put the body back on. Did the adjustment for the shifter and waiting for some trans line clamps.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back