Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How easy is it to get a T registered and tagged in Alabama?

Mirage

Hey yall, before I moved to my new house last October, I had been talking to Josh at Spirit about a Stretched 23 T. From everything I've heard, researched and read, I'm not worried about me fitting in one now, as I'm 6'5" and 260 lbs!

My main concern now is, getting it registered and tagged in the state of Alabama? I know Spirit sells an optional AK title with this cars, which "SHOULD" get everything handled in Alabama, but just wanna make sure, before I pull the trigger on this thing? Would hate to buy it, build it, then can't get a tag for it....

So, anyone on this forum from Alabama have any trouble getting their T's registered and tagged? Thanks, Jason

I found something on a site, but the forum won't let me post it, until I have 10 posts.....

I received a Arkansas title with my purchase from Spirit. Took it to the tag office here in Oklahoma, and a few days later received my Okla. title in the mail. It was as simple as buying any out of state car, and transferring the paper work. I did have to take the frame to the tag office for serial number verification.

I bought a T from Tenn with a title and bill of sale. I live in Alabama. After getting the T going I went to the local county court house and applied for an antique tag. The lady said, let me work off the bill of sale.
It had the vin, mileage, date, cost, etc. She completed the process and gave me a form for having the vehicle inspected. I had the option of taking the T to the same place for inspection or getting a law enforcement officer to sign off. I got it signed, returned and got a tag. I am now registered, with tag and insurance. No problems. This was about 10 years ago, I doubt much has changed and I may have gotten the right person on my visit. I have bought other out of state, complete cars and had more issues, but nothing to bad. Hope this helps. I live in Jefferson County.
I am building a Factory Five kit now and hope things are still easy, when finished.

Thanks yall. Josh @ Spirit said he thought someone in Bama had one of their cars and was gonna check for me, but never heard from him... Another concern was the AK title you can get for the 23, titles it as a 2016-2017! Unsure how that will work?

I would approach the DMV dept with a bill of sale for a '23 Ford Roadster and see if that would fly, if they said, they need a title, produce it and go with plan B

I was actually wondering if that would work? Is there a number on the frame somewhere, that I could use? I built an old VW Rail Buggy and just used a random number I found on it on the VIN# and it worked, but that was 20 years ago...

If I remember correctly, Alabama had no titles until 1975. I bought a couple of cars down there and got them registered in Ohio with no problem. All I needed at that time was the Alabama registration and a bill of sale.

Thanks yall. Josh @ Spirit said he thought someone in Bama had one of their cars and was gonna check for me, but never heard from him... Another concern was the AK title you can get for the 23, titles it as a 2016-2017! Unsure how that will work?

States that don't have SEMA laws register the vehicle as an "Assembled" car and the year is what ever year it is at the time of registration. So if that is the case it would be a "2017 Assembled" vehicle if you registered it today. It's all just a piece of paper so I don't care what it says as long has I have one. :) As far as the vehicle inspection is concerned, it is simply to verify serial numbers on the engine and transmission to make sure they are not from a stolen vehicle. That's why it is typically at a state troopers office.

I have 2 "Assembled" cars in Louisiana and it is real PITA because you need receipts for every nut, bolt and piece of steel you have in it. Then if they are real dicks they will want to know the country of origin so they can charge you the right tax because that's what it is all about. Spirits actual title should save a lot of hassle because it will just be a title transfer. At most they still might want to do a vehicle inspection to verify the serial numbers.

I wonder if Spirits AR title uses the standard federal VIN number format?

I wonder if Spirits AR title uses the standard federal VIN number format?

To elaborate, the reason I ask this question is because my Factory Five roadster was titled in California with the FFR serial number. In Louisiana they only use the Federal standard digit length (Idk what else to call it) so they had to issue a new 17 digit vin tag and title even though it was already titled elsewhere. The troopers checked the serial numbers on this car as well but it was a much easier process then the new build t-bucket.

And one other thing to add, don't be discouraged because the juice is worth the squeeze. T-buckets are a blast.

In 1965 I walked into the Department of Motor Vehicles in Huntsville, Alabama to register my home built roadster. No paper work of any kind. Told them it was a self assembled roadster. That was all it took. Told me since it had no assigned value the cost for tags would be $3.75 and handed me the plates. Great times in those days!

I haven't been on the board for a long time so this post is a little late regarding the first inquiry about registering a T-Bucket in Alabama. I bought my running and driving car in 2001 from a guy that built it Louisiana then moved to Alabama. It had been assigned a VIN and had a Louisiana hot rod license plate and a Louisiana title as a 1925 Ford roadster. As ExJunk mentioned, Alabama doesn't need titles for cars before 1975 and the only thing they need to register the car is a bill of sale. I went to a DMV office in Birmingham, showed them the bill of sale, and was given an Alabama license plate for the car registered as a 1925 Ford. The tax and fees for the plate are very low. The only trouble I had was that the clerk had no idea what a 1925 Ford Roadster was, but I had thought to bring a picture and that satisfied her. Of course, a T-Bucket doesn't look much a 1925 Ford, but the clerk didn't know or care. If there are any other requirements regarding inspection, documentation of parts, etc I am not aware of them ad have never been stopped by the police in Alabama of other states we have visited. People have asked me if the car is street legal and I just sat it is. I have lights, horn, 4-wheel brakes. etc and I'm sure the the car is safer than some of the beaters I regularly see on the road. There may be rules relating to fenders and other requirements but I am not aware of them.

Been a while since I've been on here, but yes, I'm aware Alabama didn't need a title till '75, as I've been here all my life, LOL! You wouldn't believe all the old cars I've sold to people, that weren't Alabama natives, that asked where the title was or they can't buy it without the title or what's a Bill of Sale? My dad and I only found a few people like this in Alabama. I remember I sold a dad and son a '61 Chevy Apache, Bill of Sale only and the dad didn't believe us. He said he was gonna get to the bottom of this! 2 days later, he came back and apologized to us and bought the truck, LOL!

I'm just curious if you don't buy the optional Arkansas title from Spirit, would it still have a VIN# on the body and frame? Josh has neglected to answer that question everytime I've asked him, he just tells me the cost of the title...

I'm just curious if you don't buy the optional Arkansas title from Spirit, would it still have a VIN# on the body and frame? Josh has neglected to answer that question everytime I've asked him, he just tells me the cost of the title...

The short answer is no; they provide a VIN with the title.

I don't think he provides those. What he may provide is a "Certificate of Origin" for a complete kit. Save all your receipts and the local DMV will probably issue you a VIN.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back