Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How I scratch built a Modern T

Now that the chassis is completed we can do the final fitting and installing of all the glass body parts, starting with the splash pans and running boards. Here I have built the brackets to hold the running boards, the fenders and splash pans will also bolt to these brackets.

D38.JPG

The fenders and splash aprons were purchased from Speedway as for the 1927 T, I do not know if they are the same for the Model A but I doubt it as the Model A was quite a bit bigger.

95715864_10221074987600751_3183610848501301248_n.jpg 95715864_10221074987600751_3183610848501301248_n.jpg 95215458_10221074987280743_2787076618508566528_n.jpg

These came from Mac's just like the ones ORF posted....home made frame...

The next step is to fit and bolt the front and rear fenders to the running boards and the frame. I made a mount from some steel tube that attaches to the shock mount stands and bolts to the front fenders. The fenders had a place for a plate to bolt to that holds them to the tube mount. I reinforced the inside of the fender where the bolts go through with some aluminum sheet glassed in place. The roads here can be rough and vibration is a killer for fiberglass body parts.

D42.JPG

I also made a similar tube mount for the rear that bolts to the frame and the rear fender. Do not have a pic of it.
At the same time I made a small splash pan to cover the area in front of the rad.

D43.JPG

Clecos. I like it.

I mounted the trunk lid with the exposed hinges from Speedway. They were easy to install and work well. I bought a latch assembly for a pickup truck cap back window from the local auto parts store for the trunk lid. It looked good, Model T style.

There ends up being a large gap between the rear fenders and the T bucket and turtle deck so I had to make a couple of small splash pans to fit between the fender liner and the body. For simple structures I usually make a form out of sheet aluminum, shape it as needed, give it a coat of mold release and layup the fiberglass on it. By using the face against the aluminum as the exposed surface it comes out very smooth except for the numerous pin holes that are caused by not spending enough time to work the air bubbles out.

D44.JPG

I wanted a hood over my engine as I think a car does not look complete without a hood on it. The hood supplied by Speedway was not going to fit as it was too short. My grille shell is a little bit farther from the firewall than where it would be on a normal T. I like a longer hood as it looks sleeker, if one can call anything about a T as being sleek.

To make a mold for the hood I made a framework out of some scrap plywood. I cut out the plywood on each end to the shape of the firewall and the grille shell. Since this is going to be a female mold I allowed about an eighth of an inch extra in the cut out for the aluminum sheet and fiberglass layup. I then nailed some ply sheeting between the ends to hold them together. I removed the frame, turned it over and nailed in two more strips along the edges to hold the sides in place.

D45.JPG D46.JPG D47.JPG

Nice!

I bent some aluminum sheet to fit inside the frame and made a 90 deg bend in the edges to give the hood edge some strength. I coated the aluminum sheet with mold release agent then layed up five layers of fiberglass mat and cloth inside it. I usually use mat on the inside and outside layer with the cloth between them. I think this give a smoother more easily finished surface.

D48.JPG D49.JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back