Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Is this body worth considering?

kitsan

This is the bucket that came with my newly aquired rolling project car. As the text in the pic explains most of it's faults, I wonder if a new glass bucket is in order, particularily with the special going at Spirit. Comments??

[attachment=2253:8/3/8/1572.attach]

[attachment=2254:8/3/8/1573.attach]

:rolleyes: :hooray: My first successful picture !

if you have experience with fiberglass, it could be saved (read that lots o work). if not start with a new body. you'll be money ahead.

Ron

If it were mine to do I would buy a new body from Spirit while they have the sale going on but I would keep that body to tinker with in my spare time. It is salvageable with some work and it would be a good platform to practice fiber glassing techniques. Speedway makes a door with the surround that can be put into the body with some work and a new dash can be made. One can never have too many T-bucket bodies.

My vote is also to start with a new body. Can this one be saved? Sure, with enough work and money anything can be redone, but timewise, laborwise, and costwise you will be way ahead to start with a clean slate. Put this one on Ebay..........someone out there will love the challenge. :rolleyes::)

Don

one point i would make here is don't store your bodies standing on the firewall. set them on a flat level surface a little weight just behind the dash and just aft of the door will help the green 'gass to set properly. if you can smell the resin, the body hasn't completely cured yet. these bodies are most often not dimensionally correct as compared to a stock body. quite often the molds are pulled off another 'glass body. each time that occurs, you loose a little more of any given dimension. a dimensionally correct 'glass t body is a kin to a straight 2 x 4.

Ron

That's kind of rough. How good are you with glass? That's the question.

I would find out just where it is off, and why... If the new body is a real good price and has a door like you want, and it has the floors already installed like that one, remember that you are going to have body work to do on any new body you get, so think about the time you spend, on either one, and the money out put just for the new body to start with, heck, it may just be the top part of the body that is off??? then that will be an easy cheap fix, no one will ever know, if you do not tell them anyway, and just what differance does it really make??? Something to think about, if you have lots more money than time, well then the answer is easy.... Just Me... myself, I would fix it, way cheaper in the long run... again just me...

Time is money. It is also frustration, anguish, heart ache and the possibility of hating your project. Weigh your skill and patience against time and money without forgetting your desire to drive a T. It is a pick your battle moment, and only you know what your capable of doing. Good Luck, whatever you decide.

If you lived closer i'd buy it and mate it to the extra body i have and make a Touring out of the two.

rick...check with grayhound...i had a steel body sent that way for about 50 bucks as apposed to 110 by freight.

Ron

Hey, guys....thanks for the replies. This tub is several years old, not a green casting. First thing I did after hauling my rolling project home was to get some mat and resin and reinforce the door. I've done some glass work, both on this door and on my ski boat years ago (turned an old, 'had been on some rocks' jet-boat hull into a v-drive), but weighing the difference between the Spirit body at five large, and what the materials would set me back to get this hulk back into shape, given my experience level, I am leaning towards calling the Spirit folks. I'm aware that even with a new casting, there's gonna be a bunch of laminating to do. But I'm betting on a much cleaner exterior on a new unit. Is this gonna be the case with the Spirit product...?? Alot of you out there have had some experience here, and most have nothing but good to say about the vendor. Comments? Kit.
:)

kitsan said:
Hey, guys....thanks for the replies. This tub is several years old, not a green casting. First thing I did after hauling my rolling project home was to get some mat and resin and reinforce the door. I've done some glass work, both on this door and on my ski boat years ago (turned an old, 'had been on some rocks' jet-boat hull into a v-drive), but weighing the difference between the Spirit body at five large, and what the materials would set me back to get this hulk back into shape, given my experience level, I am leaning towards calling the Spirit folks. I'm aware that even with a new casting, there's gonna be a bunch of laminating to do. But I'm betting on a much cleaner exterior on a new unit. Is this gonna be the case with the Spirit product...?? Alot of you out there have had some experience here, and most have nothing but good to say about the vendor. Comments? Kit.
:beer:
Our friend Thomas has a Spirit body and it has very few imperfections cudos to Spirit.Youll never find a completely PERFECT body there will always be something amiss.Just my opinion

I am Thomas and I assure you, the best body on the market today is Spirit's. I should have mine completed and on the road within 6 weeks. I'll get Rick to post some pictures for me.

thomas:)

I agree, I love my Spirit. Nice and straight and solid. Some body work required, but pretty basic to get ready for paint.

even if ya ain't that good with fiberglass, you can learn, and that body is a darn good place to start. AND ITS FREE. $500 or FREE....hmmmm...I know what I'd do...... I have seen MUCH worse bodies before. That free body looks pretty good to me.

I don't see a problem.

That body is straight...

...it's the World that's crooked.

very good point blownT....it ain't junk till it can't be fixed!!

Ron

ps... let me know if you want to sell it....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back