Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jag rear

mine has the e-brake pcs. missing. any pros or cons on a pinion set up??

Ron

Bill Pedersen said:
Lee,
When you set your camber, did you have it on an alignment machine?
You also need to have weight in the seats, like driver and passenger,,, we just use a square to see how things are looking, nothing rear critical anyway, just what looks right will do... as it will change all the time with every dip and different riders weights...

I just put a carpenter's level across the top of the tire. I did not put any weight in the car when I did it. The car only settles about 1/2" with me in it (springs are still too stiff!!) and I figured it was close enough for the reasons Ted mentions. I only had to add one shim to each side (there were already four from the stock set-up).

Re the e-brakes, I think you can get parts from Rock Auto. If not, there are several on-line Jag parts dealers. Just google "jag parts."

Lee,
If you are ever interested in putting your car on an alignment machine, just let me know. I have a Hunter 4 wheel alignment system. It might be interesting to see where the camber is at.
It wouldn't cost you anything. I'm in Ottawa, about 40 minutes south of you on I-35.
Bill

can anyone tell me the spring rates on an SJ sedan unit??

Ron

Just a thought here, we always make the spring mounts closer to the center of the chassis, so that way they work a lot nicer with the lighter weight, you must think leverage here again, absolutely no body overhang as with any stock Jag, so you are not needing nearly that much leverage against the chassis, put it towards the spring... mount them narrower at the top, if it seems like too stiff of a ride, I drill a small hole in the rear shock to let the fluid out, softer ride:) Love them Jag rears

how much power can a stock jag rear take? wheres the weakest link? (probly the U-joints) could one take a lightly blown 454? (maybe 6-700hp or so)

Well the center section is a dana 44. They can take a bit of abuse and can be built up damn strong.

I am not sure the u joints would really be a weak link. They are pretty stout pieces (well compared to some of the ones Jeeps use anyway).

IMO With the light weight of a T you would lose traction long before you broke the rearend.

When I was at Ford one of the engineers set the road race track record at Michigan international.with his 427 Cobra. He still races it... over the years he broke a lot of parts. He traded holman and moody for a tunel port that was puting out 750 hp; back in about 67. HE found U joints that didn't have any grease zerks, the grease passages weaken the joint. Shelby used jag rears in a couple of cars then the rears were redesigned to move the brakes out to the wheels and to use 3/4 ford pickup parts in the drive axles.

turbo minivan said:
how much power can a stock jag rear take? wheres the weakest link? (probly the U-joints) could one take a lightly blown 454? (maybe 6-700hp or so)

Driveshafts can twist with a lot less power than that (I've had that happen with 200hp) but you can get stronger ones made by a decent propshaft company.

Prop in the middle, driveshafts on outside. Heavy duty UJ's all balanced and lightened.

dcp_3912.jpg

To narrow a jag xj6 to use under a 34 ford to move the tires in under the fenders if you take 2" out of each lower h bar do you also take 2" from the wheel drive shafts or will this mess up geo of the rear end an how do you figure the spring rates for liter cars

To bad it is so heavy and you live so far away. I have an extra set of modified wishbones, ready with welded shock mounts and modified driveshafts. They weigh a ton tho.

Might be sellin the Jag to help fund a new project. Don't know for sure yet.

Ron

I have a XJ6 1980's rearend for my tbucket build. I disassembled the diff cage and took measurements for everything except the distance between the two upper shock mounting points. I have also dumped the cage so I can't get a measurement off of that. Does anyone know this measurement because I want to keep the standard geometry if possible.

Thanks
Neddy:)

neddy said:
I have a XJ6 1980's rearend for my tbucket build. I disassembled the diff cage and took measurements for everything except the distance between the two upper shock mounting points. I have also dumped the cage so I can't get a measurement off of that. Does anyone know this measurement because I want to keep the standard geometry if possible.

Thanks
When mounting and using a Jag in a T Bucket, the top coil spring mounts need to be in closer to the third member, less weight by far, so remember leverage is needed to make it work correctly now... :)

neddy said:
...the distance between the two upper shock mounting points.
Thanks
Stock measurement is 30". Ride height and quality are easily adjusted using spring length, spring rate and adjustable coil-overs. If you are going to use the stock Jag coil-overs, then Ted is correct... you will need to lay the coil-overs more and probably just use one per side.

Lee_in_KC said:
Stock measurement is 30". Ride height and quality are easily adjusted using spring length, spring rate and adjustable coil-overs. If you are going to use the stock Jag coil-overs, then Ted is correct... you will need to lay the coil-overs more and probably just use one per side.
I use the 4 coilovers because that is for the look that the Jag is used for in the first place, I THINK, I drill two shocks, drain all the fluid, and have two coils made at 1/2 strength... after getting your car finished and riding, you can either use the stock coil in front, if a softer ride is wanted, or use the stock coil in the rear for a stronger lift... That is how my chassis setup works on anything with a Jag rear... Weight and leverage is key to where everything is mounted... Hope this is understandable :)

I have a Jag. diff, axles, hubs, and inbound brakes and calipers, with Buterra fabricated swingarms, and four inverted coilovers on mine. The ride height will be a little high and the ride ruff, but it looks good. That is what that counts isn't it, ha. (Go to my album for photos.)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back