Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Junkyard "Shopping List"

BWilly

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever put together list of parts typically found or searched for at the local junkyard?

Coming from the 4x4 community I had a standard list of parts that I constantly looked for at the graveyards. Usually, I looked for axles and transfer cases and bigger ticket items but I thought that the same concept would apply for T's.

If so, would anyone be willing to share their knowledge and if it's worth it (meaning, a large list) I can compile the list and maybe get it loaded on the forum...

Thanks

This would be interesting, but the problem is it would differ in prices from region to region and even one salvage yard to another .

I completely agree.

However, I think a list without the costs would be helpful. I've read a few articles where guys are getting schooled (including me) on parts they didn't realize would work in their T.

Maybe more of a reference file than a list. Like which rearend from what years or steering boxes from what car...

I completely agree.

However, I think a list without the costs would be helpful. I've read a few articles where guys are getting schooled (including me) on parts they didn't realize would work in their T.

Maybe more of a reference file than a list. Like which rearend from what years or steering boxes from what car...[/QUOTE

Chester's book 'How to build a T-Bucket for $3000.00 or less would be a start===for a rat rod per se. Everyone's taste will decide what parts they will use as in power, looks, and so forth. By this I mean an S-10 rear end won't be strong enough for a Hemi, truck straight axle not looking good enough for your theme of a bucket, you get my meaning?
Good thoughts though, but a lot more comes into effect as you build. Money, ability, talent, place to work, and capabilities[welding, electrical,etc]] all play a factor. It can be done, but not for $3000.00 anymore. Titling alone will take a lot of that. There are lists on here for rear ends and what they came out of and their widths,ratios and such if you search the forum categories. Good luck on your list.

Chester's book 'How to build a T-Bucket for $3000.00 or less would be a start===for a rat rod per se. Everyone's taste will decide what parts they will use as in power, looks, and so forth. By this I mean an S-10 rear end won't be strong enough for a Hemi, truck straight axle not looking good enough for your theme of a bucket, you get my meaning?
Good thoughts though, but a lot more comes into effect as you build. Money, ability, talent, place to work, and capabilities[welding, electrical,etc]] all play a factor. It can be done, but not for $3000.00 anymore. Titling alone will take a lot of that. There are lists on here for rear ends and what they came out of and their widths,ratios and such if you search the forum categories. Good luck on your list.

15 years ago , there was 12-15 yards within 25 miles around here so availability was good. Now we're down to 3 . Not only that but most of what we usually used [carbed engines , RWD , etc.] has gone the way of the doe-doe bird. think about it , most everything in the last 25 years has been fuel injected front wheel drive. Add to that , the price of scrap , for a while, was way up , crushing out was a financial windfall for many yard operators... I'm afraid the days of buildingw/recycled parts is on it's way out ...
dave

Thanks for the info and I see your point. Unlike like hot rods, most 4x4's will have very similar set ups as far as engines and axles. Not too many are building them for their looks!

15 years ago , there was 12-15 yards within 25 miles around here so availability was good. Now we're down to 3 . Not only that but most of what we usually used [carbed engines , RWD , etc.] has gone the way of the doe-doe bird. think about it , most everything in the last 25 years has been fuel injected front wheel drive. Add to that , the price of scrap , for a while, was way up , crushing out was a financial windfall for many yard operators... I'm afraid the days of buildingw/recycled parts is on it's way out ...
dave

I'm tracking. There's a gentlemen back home that has a yard since my dad was little. To this day it looks the same as if he just collects and doesn't sell anything. He mainly has vehicles from the 40's - 60's and a lot of old one ton trucks that would make a cool old school car hauler. I haven't gotten to know him well enough to ask about anything but one day...

Finding good options for front axles in junkyards is tough...early ford axles are mostly picked through by now. There are some options with early econoline axles or pickup axles. We used an F1 axle on our latest build, but that took lots of grinding and drilling to make it presentable. Fabricated tube axles (like RPM or spirit sell) are pretty reasonable. Rear end are easy to find- S10 10-bolts are plentiful and work well on mild buckets- usually about $100 at pic-a-part. I did a fairly comprehensive write up on them a while back with a guide to know what gear and whether it has a limited slip by reading the RPO codes in the glovebox. Do a search and you'll find it.

dave

Not so, you just have to learn something new to keep up with the times. In Aussie land they are using Land Rover v8 engines in their hot rods.

Go back to 1995 20 years , what has been produced that is not electronically controlled ? Small pickups can yeild rearends but engine and trannies are for the most part dependent on computers to operate . Unless you spend big money on stand alone controllers or big bucks on aftermarket intake and carb conversions , there isn't much to chose from
Dave

Go back to 1995 20 years , what has been produced that is not electronically controlled ? Small pickups can yeild rearends but engine and trannies are for the most part dependent on computers to operate . Unless you spend big money on stand alone controllers or big bucks on aftermarket intake and carb conversions , there isn't much to chose from
Dave

I found that out big time. My little V6 was loaded down with electronics, wires, and hoses. I thought I'd be able to just remove all the electronics and convoluted emission stuff except for the fuel injection and the distributer, and find a nise little good running engine under the spaghetti nightmare. Nope....not happening. I did get lucky and got a great deal on a new "old school" Edelbrock manifold and Mallory distributor, but it was still something I hadn't planned on.

The other surprise I got was after being away from gearhead activity for 35 or so years, every single one of my old stomping ground salvage yards is now gone. And in the area where I now live, all but one yard have nothing much older than the mid to late 90s. The one yard that has older stuff, anything from before the 80s is scarce. At least for me, ebay has replaced the Saturday yard scrounge.

Makes me wonder WHY ???
dave

If you are thinking of 4wd for off road or snow, no it doesn't make sense...but 4wd in the right configuration can make for better acceleration traction and/or better handling traction. For a long time in the late 60s early 70s, the Jensen Interceptor FF held the world record for 0 to 100 and back to 0....the secret was Furgeson 4wd and Dunlop anti lock brakes. It was the grandfather of many of today's 4wd super cars

Last edited:
I think a T body on a CJ7 frame would be cool. But maybe these guys are trying to build something similar to Tommy Ivo's quad nailhead beast. Now that would be awesome.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back