Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Keepers build

jag rear. When my son welded in the top brackets for the coil-over mounts they ended up a little tweeked. He had cut a piece of iron and wood spacers.for alignment .. We talked that when we do the next one we will asssemble everything, weld in the center dif moun, then bolt it up. run the bolts thru the coil over bolts and tack them with everything assembled. I picked up 3 xj6's in calif and they were rust free $500 total.

Not much of an update but I did a bit of work this weekend.

Got around to drilling some holes in the brackets I created earlier, picked up some more parts as well.

Brackets:
bucket001.jpg

Headlights: I picked up 3 just in case I screw one up during cleaning.
bucket002.jpg

Windshield:
bucket003.jpg

Just a little closer then before. Now that the weather is starting to cooperate I should be getting more stuff done!

Keeper said:
Yes I am, I had a feeling you would recognize these parts!
One never forgets designs you create yourself, plus all the time it took to get to that point, as you need to know where the bolts and other fasteners go first :) They start out life as ugly duckings, and work their way to Swans.. Hopefully.. now I will say this, and it is againest my own design.. the front spring, I ONLY make them longer now and they fit between the two ft. radius rods, if you ever were to break a main leaf or spring hanger, the car chassis will now not fall to the ground, just down a short ways to the bottom radius rod. Hope this will help some new builders... :)

You have a pic of that? I have not sorted out all of my front end yet. I have the axle/spindles I am still working on/looking for the spring/rad rods/etc.

I will be using a stock model A axle, no drop though I may drill it, 37-41 spindles with disc brakes.

buy a new spring .... you won't be sorry...

Ron

Oh yeah thats the plan.

The one that came with the frame looks like it was designed for a trailer, I spent the weekend digging through a stock of model a/t front axles and the springs looked really rough.

I have a local spring shop that will make up a nice new pack for a good price, I just need measurements and spring rates.

Finally I can work on the build. I finally finished (and passed final inspection) wiring the garage with 100amps, so I can get all organized and start building.

So the engine is now complete minus valve covers (looking for some offy ones) so it freed up a bunch of floor space so I can lay things out and get started on the rolling chassis.

So I cleaned up and laid things out.

My Photos | 1923 Ford T-bucket Project | 5sep 004

My Photos | 1923 Ford T-bucket Project | 5sep 006

My Photos | 1923 Ford T-bucket Project | 5sep 005

Tomorrow I will start assembling things :D

front_perch.jpg

On you first pic it shows a piece looking like angle iron below perch is this what is hitting? this pic is all there is to a normal perch.

3/8" stock is a lil over kill Keeper. 1/4" will work fine and be much easier for you to shape.

Ron

Nice work so far. This thing is gonna nice. Makes me want to go work on my 27 roadster. Its nice to see someone locally working on something cool. Too many hondas buzzing around Durham region.

bloodsweat&gears said:
Nice work so far. This thing is gonna nice. Makes me want to go work on my 27 roadster. Its nice to see someone locally working on something cool. Too many hondas buzzing around Durham region.

Thanks, I am not moving very fast, but I am moving along! No kidding about the Hondas.

Got some more work done this weekend. (No pics) But I put any more fabrication that requires welding on hold until I get a better welder. Hopefully this week.

I was playing in the garage today and decided to do some destruction testing on my welds, I had the welder cranked to the highest settings, and then did some beads on 1/4 and 3/8 stock. Then I cut them in half, well needless to say this welder in no good for anything over 1/8.

The 1/4 got penetration of about 1/16, the 3/8 got less then that, when I split the welds the only thing that held the pieces together was the weld itself, the plate was pretty much un-touched. Good thing I haven't welded anything together with this thing yet.

At least now I have proof to show the wife :wstupid: "See I NEED to buy this welder"

Build safe. New welder is definately in order. Did you decide which welder?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back