Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Let's Talk Tunnel Rams (Yes again)

Ben is using a dual plane, dual quad manifold. They work very well. A good friend ran one (Edelbrock manifold, carbs and progressive linkage) on a 383 cubic inch, 4500 pound Chevy pickup, daily driver and ran deep into the 11's on the strip. Totally different from a tunnel ram intake manifold.

Mike: You obviously have an axe to grind with someone. It certainly can't be me as I don't even know you and don't spend any time on this forum. Like you, I've been interested in the subject for about 35 years now and am familiar with all that you posted. I simply stated that progressive linkage is not a good idea on a tunnel ram because tunnel ram manifolds are (essentially) IR manifolds. If you want to disagree, that's fine but I didn't come here to get into some kind of pissing contest and refuse to participate in such.

I'll take it for sure. PM me your address and i will paypal you the funds or mail them. Thanks, I appreciate it
PM sent. I can ship it out monday.

Cleaning out the shop one item at a time!

Please don't confuse anything for a pissing contest, as that is exactly what I am asking you to help me avoid here.

I've no axe to grind with you, or anyone else. Those who know me also know I don't waste time carrying a dull axe. When I'm upset with someone, they know all about, no hesitation required.

I don't know you either. Which leaves me in the position of questioning your CV, when I see you offer the kind of nonsensical commentary you have in this thread. You offer questionable advice, trump it with an outright erroneous statement and everyone is meant to just accept it as fact and move on? You then return, continue with your obvious misunderstanding of intake manifold design and suggest *I* am the one entering into a pissing contest?!? Whilst I still don't know you, I'm certainly learning more about you, with each successive post you submit.

I've simply asked you to support your statement with facts. Not as a method of seeing who can piss the strongest stream, please understand, but as a method of getting someone who offers questionable, drive-by commentary to get in front of what he is saying. And yes, I've been doing this long enough to recognize a drive-by when I see it.

Any time a single four barrel carb is used on a tunnel ram intake, the cylinders located furthest from the four throttle bores will suffer, of that there is no question. Yet I built that very combination and set multiple 1/8 and 1/4 mile records with it. I have built combinations using one Dominator and one Dominator split and had the same record-setting results. I have built a combination using one 750 an one Dominator split, with the same record-setting results. I have experience with disabling one carb and using just one carb on a street-driven, tunnel ram combination and actually accomplishing acceptable results. I have used progressive linkage combinations on several street-driven, tunnel ram applications with acceptable results. I'm saying it can be done as a result of my experiences in building these things, running them on the dyno and in both race and street-driven applications.

Would a single 4 bbl top on that tunnel ram intake work better? Absolutely. Would one of those carburetors on a Performer RPM intake work even better yet. Without question. As I stated earlier, the point here is to make the parts in hand work as well as possible. And that can be done with minimal effort and cost, in spite of what you have had to offer thus far.

If you cannot support your statements, I am OK with that. (Actually, I'm OK with it because I could see your errors coming into it) They will stand as a statements made without foundation and tomorrow is another day. And I will will call out the next person who makes the same kind of silly, error-filled and unsupported statements. Who will doubtless make all the same erroneous assumptions about myself you have just made.

So this time, I'll remove all doubt as to my position - show me how an intake manifold utilizing a common plenum to join all the intake runners is ever going to be considered anything close to an individual runner intake. There is your challenge, sir. With the full knowledge it cannot be accomplished, I bid you a good day with the hope and expectation you will present no further disinformation to anyone. Since, by your very admission, you spend no time on this forum, I will thank you for not furthermisinforming those who do.

(Silly me, for wasting my time in this manner. My initial response to this claptrap should have been a simple put up or shut up. The next bit of silliness won't get the benefit of the doubt.)

Hey guys as most of you know i have been having some rich/tuning issues lately on my (Tunnel Ram) engine. Carbs are both stock Edelbrock 600's with mechanical secondaries. My question is one that Ted addressed in another thread to some degree.

1. If i disable the front carb, will that improve my running rich issue?

2. What will be any negative effects disabling one carb will have on the engine and performance?

3. Should i stick with both carbs operational and just keep trying to hit the right tuning combo?

4. Would disconnecting the secondaries help?

Zack: My advice is to get as many different opinions as possible before making any drastic changes. There are many T buckets out there running tunnel rams with two fully functioning four barrel carbs so it can be done. See if you can find someone local that is experienced and can help you tune the motor. That's going to be your best and safest way of getting it properly tuned.

Zack: My advice is to get as many different opinions as possible before making any drastic changes. There are many T buckets out there running tunnel rams with two fully functioning four barrel carbs so it can be done. See if you can find someone local that is experienced and can help you tune the motor. That's going to be your best and safest way of getting it properly tuned.

Thanks for your help. I have to get a couple more things worked out before i start tuning on it but i will keep on plugging away at it until it is running as best i can get it to. :thumbsup:

Hey guys as most of you know i have been having some rich/tuning issues lately on my (Tunnel Ram) engine. Carbs are both stock Edelbrock 600's with mechanical secondaries. My question is one that Ted addressed in another thread to some degree.

1. If i disable the front carb, will that improve my running rich issue?

2. What will be any negative effects disabling one carb will have on the engine and performance?

3. Should i stick with both carbs operational and just keep trying to hit the right tuning combo?

4. Would disconnecting the secondaries help?

There is an old saying "Over Carbed or Under Camed. As you are probably aware Tunnel Rams are truly effective until around 2800 rpms. BUT DAMN THEY LOOK GOOD. I went down from 750s to 525s to 390s. Cured all of my stall and performance issues.

Attachments

• PROGRESS 2.jpg
    PROGRESS 2.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 44
Mike................Didn't get the gauge hooked up, mom had supper ready and dad was ready to go in so maybe tonight, LOL

Ron................. Yes, did get the regulator but there seems to be a problem. I had to run the setscrew in almost until it stopped before the pressure dropped. In other words the top of the setscrew is recessed down inside the regulator body approx. 5/16". Any ideas?

On the regulator that came with my Holley blue pump, you UNscrew the set screw to reduce the pressure. On mine it is almost all the way out to get down to 5#.

Wow, When i screwed mine in all the way the pressure went down as expected but the setscrew is too far in. So, how far do i back it out? I tried backing it out pretty far but i was afraid to run it all the way out with the engine running.

I had the same concern as I was screwing mine out. The set screw was starting to wobble it was so far out. I screwed it back in about two turns and the pressure stayed right at 5#.

I thought mine was faulty. When I burned up my first Holley blue, I got another one on warranty. I also changed out the first regulator for the one that came with the new pump. It (the regulator) worked exactly the same as the first one. I just think they aren't very well built. Probably Chi-com.

5 lbs of pressure is not a magic number either. I am running 6 float bowls on somewhere between 3 and 4 lbs., and as stated in previous posts, too much pressure is one cause of the over rich condition that you were describing.l The carbs need volume, not pressure, but not more volume than can pass through the seat under the needle.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back