Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Long term build!

hutchman

I've been wanting to do this for many years and actually started one back in the mid 80s, but gave up. It now seems there is no time like the present, so I am going to start gathering parts and pieces.

As I stated in another thread, I've 6'8" and 420. Can't do much about the 6'8", but I expect to be a more normal 300 or so in another year. So the plans are for either an RPM extended body or a Wintec Roadster.

In addition, I see it as a highboy on top of a frame similar to a Deuce frame, made to match the body lines. It will have big a littles, painted wheels, trim rings with baby moons, and wide whites.. Initially, I was thinking about an old style Small Block Chevy with a Power Glide or Turbo 350.

However, someone suggested a Thunderbird tilt/telescopic column. This got me to thinking...why not buy an old ragged Tbird to use as a parts car. Maybe use the steering column, the engine and trans, and I would think the rear end would be perfect. Might not be the cheapest parts car, but the results might be worth the expense. Dunno.... Any ideas?

I've been wanting to do this for many years and actually started one back in the mid 80s, but gave up. It now seems there is no time like the present, so I am going to start gathering parts and pieces.

As I stated in another thread, I've 6'8" and 420. Can't do much about the 6'8", but I expect to be a more normal 300 or so in another year. So the plans are for either an RPM extended body or a Wintec Roadster.

In addition, I see it as a highboy on top of a frame similar to a Deuce frame, made to match the body lines. It will have big a littles, painted wheels, trim rings with baby moons, and wide whites.. Initially, I was thinking about an old style Small Block Chevy with a Power Glide or Turbo 350.

However, someone suggested a Thunderbird tilt/telescopic column. This got me to thinking...why not buy an old ragged Tbird to use as a parts car. Maybe use the steering column, the engine and trans, and I would think the rear end would be perfect. Might not be the cheapest parts car, but the results might be worth the expense. Dunno.... Any ideas?
Hey, I did a little digging and the tilt away columns were used primarily in T-birds from 62-69 and variations in Gallaxy 500, LTD, Lincoln, etc. They were released with a lever and the shifter action you referred to was a safety that only allowed them to swing away when in park. That should be no problem if you decided to use the column shift, or to eliminate if not. Good luck!

I'm not ready to buy a parts car yet, but did find two 66 Tbirds that would work...read cheap! LOL! One of them had the swing away column and that's a heck of an idea. I am not a Ford fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the idea of an FE is kind of intriguing. You don't see too many used for certain.

A friend of mine has a complete stock front axle including spindles and brakes, a complete front wishbone, and a complete rear from a 40, that he is holding for me. That seems to be a good start. Will probably have the axle dropped and split the wishbone. I would really like to use the rear too, but I don't think they will live with much more torque than a relatively stock 283 or similar. But I think the look is cool.

I'm not ready to buy a parts car yet, but did find two 66 Tbirds that would work...read cheap! LOL! One of them had the swing away column and that's a heck of an idea. I am not a Ford fan by any stretch of the imagination, but the idea of an FE is kind of intriguing. You don't see too many used for certain.

A friend of mine has a complete stock front axle including spindles and brakes, a complete front wishbone, and a complete rear from a 40, that he is holding for me. That seems to be a good start. Will probably have the axle dropped and split the wishbone. I would really like to use the rear too, but I don't think they will live with much more torque than a relatively stock 283 or similar. But I think the look is cool.

I loved driving my cousin's 66 390 4 bbl T-Bird back in the day. For my point of view that engine would not even need modification...just a bit of dressing up. Also, using the wide T-Bird rear end would give you more tire to body clearance. I'm using an 88 T-Bird rear end to get that extra clearance.

I loved driving my cousin's 66 390 4 bbl T-Bird back in the day. For my point of view that engine would not even need modification...just a bit of dressing up. Also, using the wide T-Bird rear end would give you more tire to body clearance. I'm using an 88 T-Bird rear end to get that extra clearance.
I am not particularly a Ford fan either, but there is nothing wrong with the FE engines, I regret that they discontinued them (390, 427). The 289,302.429,460, and the CJ's are all good engines also in my opinion. I do not like the Celvelands at all except the boss engines. I am sure there are a lot of guys who will dispute this, but I base my opinion of them from my experience with them. I think all manufacturers made some good stuff and some trash. I like to take the good stuff from wherever I can find it and use it to make my own stuff. What ever rear end you choose will likely do within reason because the light weight of a bucket will greatly reduce the stress put on it, especially from a mild small block.

Looks like the rear end on the 61-67 Birds is 56-57 inches, so that would work I think. A little wide, but with the right backspacing I think it would work.

I agee the 390 should need nothing other than a little spiffing up....and perhaps 3 deuces....

And I believe it it should have a 9 inch also.

There should be some good stuff to use from the interior also.

Looks like the rear end on the 61-67 Birds is 56-57 inches, so that would work I think. A little wide, but with the right backspacing I think it would work.

I agee the 390 should need nothing other than a little spiffing up....and perhaps 3 deuces....

And I believe it it should have a 9 inch also.

There should be some good stuff to use from the interior also.
Yea, The 9" is hard to beat. I like the 390 idea. Those are strong motors and you do not often see them anymore. There should be some cool nostalgic parts lurking around in swap meets, etc...

I spent over an hour on the phone with Jim (I hope I remembered your name correctly) from Wintec. He will build the body the way I want it with either a flat floor or channeled and answered a ton of questions from me. I believe that is the body I will go with.

It's the one I first liked and still do....couple that with the great impression I got today, it seems like a win win situation for me. So for now, I will be looking for parts locally and will order that body later this spring.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back