Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loose side pipes

rubicon

When I slip the extentions on and tighten the bolt, the extentions still wiggle. The one on the driver side rotates until the exhaust turn out is facing down. Have any of you guys had this problem and what was your solution? I ordered some .010" shim stock to rap around the pipe where the bolt is hoping this will be more of a snug fit.

Yes, I experienced this problem when I put new extensions, with integral heat shields attached, last summer in Indy. Easy Solution - Put extension on, crank the bolt down and then drill a hole on the back-side of the extension through the header tube and put a sheet metal screw in to hold the extension in place. No more problems.

problem w/ drilling a hole/sheet metal screw is that's aagood way to start rust. If you have hex head bolts in the ext . clamps , try using allen head bolts , at least you can turn the wrench more than 1/8 turn at a time & actually tighten them...

I've used Permatex Ultra Black high heat silicone gasket maker in the past to prevent the extensions from moving around and rattling. Clean both parts well first, then use masking tape at forward edge of extension, apply a healthy bead of the silicone, push extension on and tighten. Clean up any that might have oozed out the front and remove tape. It does not make them permanent but are very difficult to get off if the case arises.

Jim

I did the screw method on the bottom inside but found they would vibrate out. I ended up welding a tab on each piece and use a 1/4" bolt to hold it from turning.

I,too, used screws to attach my extension to the header. It has been that way since I finished the build in 2005 and there is no rust. I might also add that I used stainless screws.

Jim

I am using socket head bolts. I'll try the shim stock first. If that doesn't work, machine screws them permatex. Right now I'm working on new baffles, so I need to be able to take off the turnouts without to much effort. Thanks to all for yor help. A lot of good ideas

My first try didn't help the noise problem. I'm working on a new idea. Will post pics when I find something that works.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back