Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Low Slung T

That does not look bad at all. From your first picture it looked like the box may have stuck too far out back. Go for it. What is the projected capacity of the tank?

Jim

The tank will be 12x33". They claim 16 gallons.
My youngest loves to help. Problem is, he gets bored fast doing petty stuff and doesn't quite have many skills refined yet. He wants to use the grinder. I want him to hand me bolts...

Looking good.. I like your low stance.
My bucket looks like it has more ground clearance than my Jeep Grand Cherokee...lol
This is after I fixed the old rotten tranny mount and got it at ride height.

20170305_183037.jpg

Thanks Intrepid. I tried to make it as low as I could within the PA law. It definitely added some extra tribulations to the build.

Well you definitely have way more clearance on your steering box than I do with your frame so much lower than your engine.

If anyone wants some motivation to make sure you buy a quality body from a reputable manufacturer, here it comes..

So I'm doing a little work on fitting my windshield frame. The cowl has a little bit of a hump in the center of the body. So I'm working on taking it down a bit so that the frame sits evenly over the cowl.
Cowl Sanding.jpg

You may notice the nice size air pocket on the passenger side. No biggie, I can fill it easily. But well done fiberglass doesn't have so many air pockets.
But as I kept sanding I started thinking about my experience with this body so far. I've seen countless air pockets and thin fiberglass on every place I've sanded on. So I'm glad I took it slow taking the cowl down a bit, but I wasn't quite slow enough. I stopped to check for thin spots and found this.
cowl hole.jpg

Although this is a bummer, I'm not too worried about it. I can pretty easily add a few more layers of glass to build it back up. But if I was not comfortable with fiberglass this would be a nightmare. I would say this is probably the second hardest place on these bodies to get to when fiberglassing. The first being the corners where the windshield posts mount.

Either way, I'm done until I get it built back up. I still have about 1/16" to 1/8" gaps at the edges of the frame by the posts.
Do you guys think I will be alright with that amount of gap once I paint and put the seal in between the frame and body? If not, I'll probably just build the outside up a bit to level it out.

Oh yeah. I got my fuel tank ordered on Monday. I'm told they will be shipping it next week since it has some custom options. I can say this so far, the company I ordered it from has great customer service so far. They answered all my questions fairly quickly and seem very nice to work with. Hopefully the tank meets my expectations and at least holds fuel when I get it. Also the price was right. Pics to come in a few weeks of that!!

Oh yeah. I got my fuel tank ordered on Monday. I'm told they will be shipping it next week since it has some custom options. I can say this so far, the company I ordered it from has great customer service so far. They answered all my questions fairly quickly and seem very nice to work with. Hopefully the tank meets my expectations and at least holds fuel when I get it. Also the price was right. Pics to come in a few weeks of that!!
I agree about the body. Mine has more added glass than it came with, but I wanted it to be strong for two doors, and I wanted the windshield frame to be strong enough to endure being used as a hand rail to help enter, exit. My cowl was very warped also and several others have mentioned that trait. Also, I had to remove the door lines and move the door location back to clear the windshield post brackets. When I did that, one side of the body was concave, the other was convex. It was clearly molded that way. I actually had to sand so much material off of one side to get it strait that I had to glass over the inside for strength. The other side required filling. You don't save money by buying a cheap body if you value your time. Mine was a used old school car that I am redoing, but I wouldn't do it again with a similar body. Keep us posted about your tank, I'm interested to learn how you like it. I'm in the market soon for one as well.

Not sure if you noticed my pics in my thread.
I am glassing in a piece of steel under that lip so that I can weld studs to the bottom of the windshield frame and nut them down from the bottom.
If you need to still go down 1/8 you can glass from the bottom side and fill the top cracks with resin.

Was told by the guy who did mine that most makers split the mold down the middle of the cowl. This almost always leads to a dip in it's centre. His mold had the top of the cowl as one piece and the joints at each end on the swage line.

mine was really bad also but i knew when i bought it that it was going to be cut up and changed. but your right if a person is afraid of glass work they are better off buying a quality body. i have way more in mine now then if i would ave got a better on but i also feel i learned some skills i didnt have before so it was worth it i guess. your build is moving along nicely for sure cant wait to see it done.

Had a busy weekend. Pulled the body off. Flipped it upside down and laid some more glass under the windshield frame area of the cowl to patch up the thin spots. It was actually way easier to get to than I had anticipated. I also sanded it down a little more. Still not quite there yet though.
body ready for dash glass.jpg more dash glass.jpg

I then started working on my windshield frame a bit. Once I sucked the frame tight into the post, I realized that I had measured a bit wrong for the frame width. I needed to take about 5/8" more out of it.

So I needed to make this thing 5/8" shorter, keep the contour and keep the threads.
Windshield frame bottom.jpg

Here is the final product. I'm happy with it and the bolt still bottoms out in the hole. I did have to tap the threads inside a bit longer.
New windshield frame end.jpg
Here it is very roughly mocked up. You can still see the slight gap between the cowl and the frame on the drivers side in this picture. It is the same on the passenger side. This picture doesn't really show that.
Windshield mock up.jpg
Too bad I didn't give CCR the right measurements in the first place. Then I wouldn't have had to do all this work. However, it pushed me to use my persuasion skills with my wife to acquire that nice little tool sitting on the bench in the background of this pic. New machinery is always a win!!
drill press.jpg

Attachments

• drill press.jpg
    drill press.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 6
I don't know how I survived without a drill press, lol, I have since procured a cross slide with a vice for it to allow very precise drilling and even some basic mill function. I went years without torches too, I can't imagine working without them now. Another injustice of life, you work all your life without proper tools, you procure them along the way and by the time you have everything you need, the show is over! No fair!

Thats how I feel about this thing. Should have bought it awhile ago. Could have really came in handy building the suspension!!

Got home from work yesterday with my fuel tank waiting for me.

Rear view of the tank.
Fuel Tank Side View.jpg

Bottom view of tank with send and return ports.
Fuel Tank Bottom View.jpg

Inside view. You can see the baffle in this pic.
Fuel Tank Inside View 1.jpg

Inside view #2. In this pic you can kind of see the hole that goes into the sump. This is the only area I currently have a concern about. There is a bur still sticking on the tank on the inside where they cut the hole for the sump. I could get the camera at the right angle to see it. I should be able to get something in there to knock it off and then fish it out. They should have checked for burs on the inside before welding the sump on.
Fuel Tank Inside View 2.jpg

Last pic, the brackets that came with it.
Fuel Tank Straps.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with it. Is should look good and will work good for my application. It was packaged well. Custom made and delivered quickly.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back