Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Lt1 in a T?

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Anyone here have an LT1 in their T?
Want to know if the 1.63 ports on the sprint style headers will fit the D-ports.

Some pics would be nice.
Thank you.

The LT-1's with coilpacks on the valvecovers does not look good. You can make horses with the LT-1's....but WHY? Thats like running A-Arms up front. If your not gonna do it all custom made so it looks good, whats the point?
You could run a motor cover....
but whats the point of hiding a beautiful motor in a T? Oh, thats right!
LT-1= EFI+Coil Packs+serpentine belt(not so bad),....

"God, please do not let this turn into a multi page cluster f..." Chris, send us some pictures (maybe a video) of your car running.
I believe one of the electronics companies (MSD, Jacobs, Mallory, ETC ....) has a conversion kit to eliminate the multiple coils.

John

No, I was thinking of swapping the motor to an LT-1. I can pick up a used long block here for under 160. I was going to change the intake and put in a dist. But after further research I found that the water pump and balancer would stick out to far to fit in with my current setup.

John: My car isn't running right now. Made some upgrades to the rear end, working on polishing that stuff right now. The battery box it out getting powder coated and I changed a lot of the wiring around, shortened things up and got it fitting better under the seat.

On the motor side. It runs. Won't go in to details about that. LOL.
Had the car out side for a bit while I cleaned up the garage.

Really need to get that upholstery done. :)
1511149_10204415587523306_7892242929632129636_n.jpg

Screaming MetalMetal: just re-read your post. LT1 has the crappy omni spark dist on the front of the motor. It still uses spark plugs. No coil packs. Unless there was a version that used coil packs. I thought coil packs came with the ls1.

Screaming MetalMetal: just re-read your post. LT1 has the crappy omni spark dist on the front of the motor. It still uses spark plugs. No coil packs. Unless there was a version that used coil packs. I thought coil packs came with the ls1.
One thing I found with 93 on Lt1's is that if you don't use them as built, they are difficult to adapt. It can be done if you want to do a bunch of machine work, but the cooling system is totally different and makes interchanging heads, intake, etc difficult, not to mention the ignition. The heads had good flow numbers.

Yes, the LT1's have the OmniSpark, it looks like a distributor cap sitting on the timing cover behind the waterpump. Yes, it doesn't come with the coil packs on the valvecovers. THE HOT TICKET.....-or so they think-.....is to do the LS1 conversion, which put the packs in place. Theres another conversion instead of up on the valvecovers, puts them below the valvecovers, under the headers....:rolleyes:

I have seen the LT1 put in T, with the EFI in place....looks kinda cool with the Aircleaner sticking straight forward....:coffee:
Just put a good, Hi-Perf Ignition on them....don't need 4 or more coils....more shit to go wrong. Its bad enough with a complex EFI, more complex it gets. more things tend to muck up....

Did a session on a motor, spent 4 days giving this thing a severe thrashing in the dyno cell. Getting all the #'s at diff. settings....this thing based on that motor.
Good, basic motor, good crank, rods, pistons....a decent cam, alum. intake with a new EFI, alum. heads, yada, yada, yada....
A lotta horses at a nice high rpm....plain, simple, straight forward.
The NEW Motor this thing was based on has a reluctor on the crank, a plastic intake manifold, computer assisted cam and EFI combo....
That kinda tech doesn't belong under the hood of a car....it belongs at the science fair.
Give me a goold old motor with a decent selection of parts, I'll get as good fuel mileage, burn cleaner, make more horses, will look alot better, and won't cost half as much.

Whens the last time you could buy a new car, open the hood, and do a tuneup yourself. Its all done at the dealers and/or the repair facilities now. 2/3rds of it is computer oriented....and all the parts are alot more expensive....the days of working on your own car has long since past. Only the HotRods....and they're fast disappearing....or at least thats what they're trying to do....
SEMA Still has really deep pockets so they're able to keep things rolling till the emissions stuff shuts us down.
Gas prices have gone down, folks are buying the seafoam to stick in the tanks, everyones waiting for the warm weather to get here to go cruising.
You can now buy all the parts aftermarket to build your favorite Ford Flathead V8, Or a 426 Hemi, Olds 442, etc. All it takes is money....

Whens the last time you could buy a new car, open the hood, and do a tuneup yourself. Its all done at the dealers and/or the repair facilities now. 2/3rds of it is computer oriented....and all the parts are alot more expensive....the days of working on your own car has long since past.

Yes it is all done at the dealers with hi tech computers. But the car as delivered from the factory pretty much does not need the hood opened for the first 100,000 miles.
I started working in a NAPA machine shop 1968. Back then the typical engine did good to last 50-60,000 miles and it was time for a rebuild. That's when there was a gas station on every corner, with a mechanic. Pull the motor on Monday, send it to the machine shop, get it rebuilt and drop it in of Friday and go another 60,000 miles.

Now days the engines are lasting well over 200,000 miles with just maybe a water pump and a set of plugs at 100,000. They say they don't build them like they used to, I say I am glad they don't.

The wife has a 2011 Chevy Traverse has 45,000 miles on it. It goes back to the dealer where it was bought, every 5,000 miles for an oil change, and rotate tires every 10,000. I never open the hood for anything in between, no reason to. Has never had a tune up, doesn't need one.

Right with ya RPM. My 2004 Ford Sport trac has 132,xxx miles. No work done on engine. Changed plugs and serpentine belt at 80K miles. Doesn't use oil, runs like it did when it was new. Never got that from an engine back in the 60's when I started working on the family cars. Guess that's why us old guys still have that 100K mile red flag in our head when we look at a used car for the teen driver.

Right with ya RPM. My 2004 Ford Sport trac has 132,xxx miles. No work done on engine. Changed plugs and serpentine belt at 80K miles. Doesn't use oil, runs like it did when it was new. Never got that from an engine back in the 60's when I started working on the family cars. Guess that's why us old guys still have that 100K mile red flag in our head when we look at a used car for the teen driver.

I'm 39 and I do it. Think it's how I was brought up. Family always getting new cars. Getting close to a 100 (oh might break at any time) time to get rid of it and get a new one. I've moved past it some what. My rav4 has a 134, on it. It runs super good. Yet in the back of my mind I keep thinking its going to die at anytime. I had a ford festive that had over 240, when I sold it. It ran like a champ. But I needed something bigger. I still miss that car.

I agree. The computer controls do a good job regulating fuel, timing, etc, and reduces the cylinder wash and valve issues. They go a long time without much other than an occasional sensor or the like and regular fuel injector cleaner. They are, however, a pain to work on when the time comes if you don't stay up to date on all of the diagnostics or if you get one with an intermittent problem. I like the new stuff for everyday basic transportation, but the older stuff is what I like to play with. My wife's Monte Carlo had 180K on it when I updated her to a Rav4 (she wanted 4wd) and my son has been running it ever since. All I have done to it is a couple battery's, 1 alternator, tires, brakes, 1 set of plugs, and the worse was a new intake manifold due to plastic deteriorating around the egr tube and a plastic elbow for the heater hose. Oh yea, water pump, belt, idler out of precaution. Hard to complain, we have owned it since 99.

hahaha....I cave in Guys! Hahaha....Yes, the family cars are great, so is my ole 04 Dodge Crewcab Dually.... has 475,000 and still going strong.
I WAS talking about HotRods and Performance cars, The simplified Computer management systems I have no quarrel with them. But, the simplified systems of yesteryear need not always be replaced.
I have a EFI system on my BBF.... runs great, idles great, even with the E10 and most the other stuff. That is the reason why I installed it.

Yes, I don't mind the 250,000 mark as the likely motor refresh time, and the 100,000 miles is the spark plug change time. I even like the good fuel mileage they get.
Certainly not on my HotRod though, where I like to boil the tires every now and then. And its getting tough on the racecars now. I like all the data recall stuff and recording stuff....the computers are in charge of alot more than just motor stuff these days.
Oh, don't get me wrong, its good for the MotorSports aspect of it.
ETs are still going down, Speed is going up, faster and more powerful motors. The Drivers have to literally Hang on and keep it straight,
We thought we couldn't go much faster than 265-275 Mph at 6.25-6.0 years ago, and we are WAY beyond that these days....I'm just a hands on typa performance motor person....

MERRY CHRISTMAS! Till Sometimes Nextyear....I bid everyone farewell.
Till then I bid Everone A Happy New Year Also!
Keep the Cruisin' Up and the Tire Smoke down....

Yep, This thread took a turn. I was done with my lt1 question many posts back. LOL! :)

Merry Christmas.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, but someone has to break the traditional ways of old school. Parts and prices dictating a lot now. YOU build what YOU want with what you have and enjoy it now, because time will catch up to you before you know it, and no joy will be found

Merry Xmas!!.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back