Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

M.p.g.

ouh506

As gas go's up ($3.45 here for reg.) I keep thinking of ways to get another mile or two from the project.
I have 31X16.5X15 tires for the rear.I like the look but will a narrower tire get me better mileage?
I started this project with a 454/T400,now I am using a 22r Toyota with a 5 speed.
So,tall and narrow or tall and fat???

Fred

Hummmm,MPG?on a hot rod,oxymoron or some'm :eek:,but to A your Q,;)narrow has less aero drag and lower rolling resit. ,die [hight of tire].biger will add to MPG,you can just add some more PSI + 5 or 10 lb's,too tire then you'd normely run,dose too things,makes tire even taller and drops rolling resit. and both add to MPG,but the cost is less soft ride,but it's a hot rod,so may ride like a brick anyway.
Now you can up aero by droping the top off and dropping upper part of windsheild=cost bugs in mouth.
Stay under 55 mph. Don't bring any one with you or any extra lb.s of any type=cost no cooler.
OK ,,so now ya don't even got to go any place cuss it an't no fun,so ya save all the gas=MPG=0:rolleyes:
:D:eek:

ouh506 said:
As gas go's up ($3.45 here for reg.) I keep thinking of ways to get another mile or two from the project.
I have 31X16.5X15 tires for the rear.I like the look but will a narrower tire get me better mileage?
I started this project with a 454/T400,now I am using a 22r Toyota with a 5 speed.
So,tall and narrow or tall and fat???

Fred

I don't have a real solution other than proper tuning and conservative driving. I would, however, LOVE to see pics of your setup!:D Knowing that a Toyyota engine and 5 SPD is great on gas in a full body car, just what kind of mileage are you getting with the setup in a stripped down bucket?:confused: You GOT be be getting at least 30 MPG just with the weight loss. If you're not, tune it, but again, PLEASE show us the setup. Sounds very interesting.

tfeverfred said:
I don't have a real solution other than proper tuning and conservative driving. I would, however, LOVE to see pics of your setup!:D Knowing that a Toyyota engine and 5 SPD is great on gas in a full body car, just what kind of mileage are you getting with the setup in a stripped down bucket?:confused: You GOT be be getting at least 30 MPG just with the weight loss. If you're not, tune it, but again, PLEASE show us the setup. Sounds very interesting.

Looking thru photo bucket its in the works. :cool: But I like the mockup pic. :D It looks like it will be a wild driver. :D

IMG_2631.jpg

Frameprogress111807007.jpg

Okay, thanks. I kinda remember it now. I guess I had forgotten about it. Looking at that layout, I see a low to tha ground Lakes Speedster.

ouh506 said:

I changed a few things on my bucket a couple of years ago to squeeze a few more MPG out of it. I switched from a TH400 trans to a 700R4 overdrive trans. Very big difference. I also blocked off one of my dual quads so it now runs on a single 500cfm carb. A little better than before. As long as I don't get too crazy, I can run fine of regular instead of premium gas. Gotta have premium for hot rodding, though. :D

Net result, I get about 17 MPG at 80 MPH cross country. I would probably do a little better at 55 MPH, but "I Can't Drive 55" :D

17 MPG out of a Hemi, :clap:I don't know what I'm gettin' out of my SBC. But then again, its just a toy so I really don't care. :D

You guys will think I am lying about this, but it is the absolute truth. My T has always gotten about 20+ mpg, and I only have about 2000 miles on it so far ( 350 Vortec, 305 Vortec heads, single 600 Edelbrock on aluminum intake, unbaffled Limefire headers, turbo 350 trans, and 3:00 gears with 30 inch tall rear slicks)

We drove to Billet proof this past weekend on interstate all the way. On the way up we got about 25 mpg, but on the way back I went one leg of 120 miles and put in just over 4 gallons!! I couldn't believe it myself, and what I think has happened is my engine is finally seating fully. I had been using just a little oil, but that has stopped, so maybe it is now all broken in. It feels much crisper too.

We drove very conservatively because it was windy, we were only going about 60-65, and barely touching the gas pedal. My Son couldn't believe it when we fueled up and it only took that little amount of gas. I sure am not complaining though. :D

Don

Fred... It's nice to see someone thinking outside of the box. I, for one, will be following your updates.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back