Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

I have been spending time in the shop. I have the new rails made and ready to reattach at the firewall. The chassis is back up on the table and all the braces to hold everything are cut and ground at edges to hold front end steady and brackets to hold rear rails where they need to be. Then another design change! I’m going to run my water through the flame rails so before I attach it I need to be sure it’s watertight. I’ll go get pipe bungs to put in the bottom of the frame at the firewall so I can drain radiator and check for leaks. Cool water will be in right rail and return water in left rail.

I ran a 1" line for fuel through the frame rail, but I put a 1" stainless pipe inside rather than running like you are planning. It might be something to consider rather than rusting the frame from the inside out. Also I had the entire frame put together before I decided to do this, windowing the side of the frame rail was no problem with a plasma cutter, then I cut a piece the same shape as the hole and welded it in. I had welded 90 deg. AN fittings to each end of the pipe, and I let those protrude through the inside of the frame rail and welded the hole around them.

My reasoning with running inside the frame is with antifreeze it would be no more corrosive than the block although it is quite a bit thicker. The cost of AN hose is about $400 but the potential for a leak down the road is always there. Any pros and cons here would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a commercial hose guy may have a cheaper option. My welder pedal quit on me so I have a little time to make other plans.
Thanks for the advice.

I didn't use hose, and I also had no idea they were that expensive. Instead I used simple stainless steel pipe, wall thickness no more than .060 but probably more like .030. I know you have a long frame, are you putting the radiator near the axle so that you have a 3' or so run to the engine?

It will give you a lot of coolant capacity. Overheating should be a non issue. As long as your grounds are good and you use coolant, not water, I doubt corrosion will be that big of an issue, but still something to consider. A stainless liner would be trick. It wouldn’t need be very thick... overkill? Hard to say. I do know that everything is crazy expensive right now, quality hose and fittings were always pricey anyways. Using the frame rails is definitely a neat idea and will eliminate clutter.

Only problem is getting AN fittings on the end. I guess I could get a stainless pipe coupler and TIG it to the end. I have a bender for 1” od pipe so that could work. Another thing to cloudy the waters! Thanks guys! Lol

IMG_1183.jpeg Got the frame fitted today. Decided to abandon in the frame water. Got all angles within .2 degrees and all measurements dead nuts! I’m extremely happy with that so I quit early tonight. Got to ger an RJ-45 cable tomorrow to fix my TIG pedal so roller is very close! I’m excited to get that milestone!

Hi ORF. I run water hoses inside the frame rails, AN-12 which splits to AN-10 to feed the two sides of the motor. But I think any good hose would be fine.
cooling system jpg.jpg

I saw that you decided against water in the frame rail, but if you change your mind here is what I did with 1" dia stainless pipe. I mitred the corners and welded the AN fittings on the ends. After that it was a simple matter of screwing on the hoses.

081822_re.jpg

Attachments

• Pipe_re.jpg
    Pipe_re.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 25
I don’t have a straight run so I’ll run it on the inside of the frame but that I think is the best solution. Now to find stainless AN fittings. Do you remember where you got them? I want -16 fittings.

Now to find stainless AN fittings. Do you remember where you got them? I want -16 fittings.
Summit Racing. I used -16 also. Welded to the pipe are male fittings. I know the female fittings that thread onto them are stainless, but the male fittings might be mild steel. Still, you can weld mild steel to stainless with no problem.

Do those fittings work with that hose? I have always used them with braided stainless line.

I think either one would work. I think I need more than 5’ so I’m getting up to the $400 mark with the hose. I found weld bungs on Summit for about $15 and the tubing would work. I’m just about to have a roller to share pictures with you guys so you can understand my vision.

Do those fittings work with that hose? I have always used them with braided stainless line.
Yes. I use that hose with AN fittings on my T. Much easier to cut and mate to fittings. And you don't get the bloody finger sticks!
nylon hoses.JPG

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back