Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

I have the little 1/8” rotor with the Hallcraft calipers so I’m going to put them on. I did buy the Wilwood vented disks for the rear. I think most of the weight will be on the rear so I think I’ll be ok. I have plenty of crumple zone up front! Lol
I ran my other T without front brakes. Tip: front brakes can bust up wire wheels. ORF, I'm loving your build! And want to know how that torsion bar works out.
OLD_T.JPG

Last edited:
Just a thought for you long wheel base guys, Scott always ran on the street without front brakes and told me he never thought he needed them. I'm going to guess that the stopping power of 3" tires extended that far ahead of the engine and body is probably not something to write home about, so maybe he had the right idea. Your mileage may vary.
I have the same reservations about front brakes on mine. Not long wheel base. It had spindle mount skinny magnesium spokes with no front brakes when I bought it. I did have the rims modified to add rotors and intend to run them but I wonder how much real braking power they will provide. I was more in the control thought process when I made the decision. Sticking with rear drums for now. The entire rear ended, 9.2” GM front loader, is chrome so I’m going to run it for now. It was on the track with only rear drums prior to me buying it. Big block-4speed. I really struggled with deciding to cut on those magnesium rims but I wanted to retain as much of the nostalgia parts as possible and upgrade the controls to be as safe and functional as possible. I’m aware of newer aluminum reproductions with disc provisions. If I were building from scratch as opposed to trying to resurrect this one, lots of things would have been done differently... and more simply.

ORF, where did your torsion bar come from? Is it adjustable? I think your looong WB will give a great ride. Even my 120" is super comfortable.

The torsion bar is a funny car part from Mark Williams Enterprises. It is adjustable by rotating arm on splines.
upload_2023-10-29_14-7-57.png

Product code 35000. Can’t figure how to link info. It’s $460.

Thanks. It’s to cold in Oklahoma! I haven’t done anything for a while. My next step is mounting rear shocks and they were ordered i late October. Stacking up money now for parts! Thanks for watching.

It was to cold for me to even try to heat up the shop. Can't afford the electric bill there. I have a fairly large upholstery gping and couldn't work on it. Warm enough today to give it a try. 29 degrees in Tulsa area now and that is a heatwave.

Thanks. It’s to cold in Oklahoma! I haven’t done anything for a while. My next step is mounting rear shocks and they were ordered i late October. Stacking up money now for parts! Thanks for watching.
Just knowing you are still working on your goal soothes my anxiety. Seriously!

It was to cold for me to even try to heat up the shop. Can't afford the electric bill there. I have a fairly large upholstery gping and couldn't work on it. Warm enough today to give it a try. 29 degrees in Tulsa area now and that is a heatwave.
24° here! Feels like a heatwave. A week of -° anything had me stuck in the house. I despise a forced sedentary state!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back