Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

master cyl. mounting

Johnny

Well, I will be bolting my master cylinder and brake pedal kit to my frame. Question: Should I use a self tapping bolt, a bolt and nut that goes all the way through the frame, or drill and tap the frame???? Damn! I sure wish I could weld!

Thanks,
Johnny

Well, I will be bolting my master cylinder and brake pedal kit to my frame. Question: Should I use a self tapping bolt, a bolt and nut that goes all the way through the frame, or drill and tap the frame???? Damn! I sure wish I could weld!

Thanks,
Johnny
Always err on the margin of safety. I would recommend that you weld it on. If that is just not an option for you. The trough bolt is the next best option
-Jim @ Wintec Fabrication

Johnny this is where i would talk myself into a lincoln 225 and teach yourself how to weld . Welding though an art doesnt take any skill that you dont already posses. Welding is a tool that you will use the rest of your life. Sometimes a slight detour in your progress will serve you well when you are done. Rooster chapter 12 verse 5

Johnny this is where i would talk myself into a lincoln 225 and teach yourself how to weld . Welding though an art doesnt take any skill that you dont already posses. Welding is a tool that you will use the rest of your life. Sometimes a slight detour in your progress will serve you well when you are done. Rooster chapter 12 verse 5
You may be right. I've been thinking about doing that. It sure would come in handy.

I know everyone pumps the mig and i love mine!!! But i have burnt 100s of rods on my 225 (31 years old). If you didnt learn on a stick welder you are 1/2 a welder. I recomend this as a starting point johnny. I have seen lots of these on craigs list to .

Yeah, that's not too bad. I guess I was looking at TIG welders. I learned to weld in high school with a stick welder, but that was over 40 years ago, and I sure haven't done any welding since high school.

Thanks guys

welding is like everything else it just takes practice
If your not in a big rush, I'd recommend looking for a used welder at a swap meet. I once looked at a dusty, unused 225 amp lincoln buzz box priced at $75. Craigs list is a good place to look, too.
Do a little research. Figure out what you wantand learn how to tell the good stuff fom the junk.

I'd go with a mig they are just so much easier to weld with. All the major brands have the little 110 machines that are pretty good. I don't know that I would build a frame with a 110 machine, I am sure it has been done. I would buy the biggest mig you can afford. It would be a lifetime investment, as they last forever.

Take a look at this one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Miller-Millerma...dZViewItemQQptZBI_Welders?hash=item3358033ed2

Thanks,
Johnny

I bolted mine to the frame but I installed two threaded bungs that go through the frame and are welded on both sides.

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Please excuse the blurriness of the last photo but you can still see that the bung goes through the frame and is welded on that side also.

Jim

I agree with Ron. I bought my 185 Hobart 4 years ago and have pushed a good deal of wire thru it since then. It hasn't given me a hint of a problem. I made Up an extention and a pig tail to use it off the dryer outlet in the shop. Best $600 I've spent in a long time. Trust me, once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever got along before.

Ron

Welders have gone up in price just a tad since i bought my Lincoln 225. I paid something like $98 for it new. Oh wait...that was in 1982.

Although i love my stick welder if i could only own one welder it would have to be a mig. And as Youngster said "Trust me, once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever got along before."

I'd go with a mig they are just so much easier to weld with. All the major brands have the little 110 machines that are pretty good. I don't know that I would build a frame with a 110 machine, I am sure it has been done. I would buy the biggest mig you can afford. It would be a lifetime investment, as they last forever.

Take a look at this one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Miller-Millerma...dZViewItemQQptZBI_Welders?hash=item3358033ed2

So, Ron, you think one of the 110 volt welders would be okay for welding brackets? They're not too much in cost. I don't think I'm going to ever be doing big things like frames, so this small unit looks pretty good to me.

I don't mean to beat this to death but ... don't waste your money on a 110 welder. There are many good and inexpensive 220 ones on the market. In 40 some years of welding, I have yet to find a 110 welder that I would trust to do chassis work. JMHO

Ron

There is a place up north that sells great stick welding rod. I use it all the time,the name of the company is called LaGrange. They have the best weld rod for doing frames and there is also 2 different tensile strenghts one is 70,000 pound the other is 100,000 pound tensile. They are the blue in color and have the easy strike feature.Which makes it easy to start up an arc again after using it for a tack weld.
JMO though.

Opinions are like... uh... bellybuttons - everyone has one. Youngster likes his 220 MIG and, if you can afford one, that's undoubtedly the best choice. However, there's nothing wrong with a 110 if it's used properly. The 110's can weld up to 1/4" steel very competently with all the penetration and strength needed. I have a Linde stick welder that I bought new in 1973 and I built my first few hotrod frames with it. About 8 years ago I bought a Firepower FP130 MIG welder (110 volt). Now the old Linde only gets used if I have something really heavy duty to weld that requires high amperage or, on rare occasion, if I'm repairing cast iron. My MIG is a 110-volt unit. It cost about half the price of a 220 and is much more portable. The important thing to look for in a welder is the Duty Cycle - you want the highest Duty Cycle you can get for the money you have to spend.

I have been welding for over 40 years and I really like my little 110 MIG. I have built at least 6 frames and a couple of roll cages with it plus done a lot of random repair work with no problems. I have also used it with flux-core wire sometimes instead of gas shield and gotten satisfactory results. My advice - buy the best welder you can afford now; you can always upgrade later.

I would never use self tapping screws that's for sure. I see no reason it couldn't be bolted on going through the frame however. Use quality hardware and a good size depending on how many bolts you use.

I've had 3 welders and I would never weld anything structural with a cheapo 110 mig.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back