Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Mike's Inline T bucket update

mikesplumbing

Thought you guys would like a photo to look at. Henry and I brought this home and started taking parts off. Were going to clean it up and try and do a mock up. Were thinking of using a C6 tranny and I think I found a guy thats got one for us for free.

AHHHHHH Aint she sweeeet looking.......Inline is not a crime:D:D:D

Please give that poor ole engine a bath. :D

Suggestion. Look at using a C4 trans. Much lighter and smaller. Will be easier to fit in a bucket.

A friend has a 52 Chevy sedan with a 215 six, dual carbs and split exhaust manifold. If you have ever heard a Chevy six with splits there is no other sound like it. Another friend took a 64 Falcon Ranchero, from his collection of Ford Falcons, and put in a 300 inch six, dual carbs and split headers. He is a Ford guy but he wanted that split manifold sound. What he got was a very nice Ranchero with a lot of low end that sounded like a V8. He was disappointed. I think he sold the Ranchero

I put the hole there because it had a tiny hole in the pan (accident) so I took a RR spike and made it big so I would see it and not use it by accident.

My plans are to put multi carbs and custom headers on it. The head is going out to a race shop and get set up on a flow bench, then ported etc. I'm a little tossed on intakes, I might just make my own but not sure if I want to spend time doing something that might not work well. Both Clifford and Offy make nice stuff. It's also gonna get a custom grind cam. I'm fortunate to know a few people that race and have machine shops so I'm gonna take advantage of it but I still want a driver so speed isn't real high on the priority list.

Mike

I think thats the first time someone I know has said "I found a small leak and made it catastrophic so I can find it later" I think Im going to send you some paintmarkers or at least some racers tape...maybe next time put something brightly colored over it or write "this has a hole" on it with a pen LOL I had to write NO OIL on my friends engine cover with blue tape...I knew he'd forget and start it. later added a piece of tape to the steering wheel.

Inliners rule! Id love a 292 Jimmy or a Hudson 308

der Spieler said:
If you have ever heard a Chevy six with splits there is no other sound like it.

Ain't that the truth. I'm running a 235 with a Fenton header, dual glass packs and pencile tips in my '56 Chevy. It really sounds sweet.

mikesplumbing said:
I put the hole there because it had a tiny hole in the pan (accident) so I took a RR spike and made it big so I would see it and not use it by accident.

My plans are to put multi carbs and custom headers on it. The head is going out to a race shop and get set up on a flow bench, then ported etc. I'm a little tossed on intakes, I might just make my own but not sure if I want to spend time doing something that might not work well. Both Clifford and Offy make nice stuff. It's also gonna get a custom grind cam. I'm fortunate to know a few people that race and have machine shops so I'm gonna take advantage of it but I still want a driver so speed isn't real high on the priority list.

Mike

One thing about 6's is the torque........if you build a really stout setup.....it being a 6....... you'll still have some they aren't like a SB V-8......where it won't even pull away from a redlight without hitting 4000 on your tach...........
A good setup for a 6 is 3x2's or 2x2's, a good cam (265 to 275), med.tub......long collector headers are a hot setup in a light cars.......
Better yet.......put a blower on it!!!!!!! 4-71 is overkill on anything but a all out racing 6,...........a 3-71 is about perfect.........build a homemade intake and mount a 144 on it would be killer....

The engines run really well with the paxton or whipple chargers........build as much or more horses than the V-8s of comparable size...........but they just look funky compared to the 71 Series Roots Blowers.......:cool:

That's great info SM, all good stuff! The blower route is something I have yet to consider. I know nothing about supercharges etc. so I'll have to study some more.

Mike

Mike it looks like you are off and running. I see you got the kids doing the dirty work. Ha Ha I Had a friend years ago that had a inline 6 in a ford truck, he put a cam, an Offy intake and 4 barrel carb on it ran like a bat out of hell. Can wait to watch your progress.

Eric

Thanks Eric, the kids are just loving it! I'm thinking of either having a blog on the build or a website. I could post everything on this forum but not sure if that's ok to do a step-by-step build here.

Mike

mikesplumbing said:
Thanks Eric, the kids are just loving it! I'm thinking of either having a blog on the build or a website. I could post everything on this forum but not sure if that's ok to do a step-by-step build here.

Mike

Mike,
I would not mind watching your progress on the forum, my 2 cents.

best way to clean em is take it to the car was in the evening spray on to cans of engine degreaser or a bottle of simple green and drop $4 worth of quarters and power wash it lol :cool:

I'm with railroad, I wouldn't mind watching your build.

Eric

Mike: you should definitely do a build blog or update. I'm thinking about doing it for the new bucket we are starting. Just figured out the photobucket link thing, so I may go that way with my update posts.

Sweet, I thought I read your also doing a 60's retro bucket??? If that's true I've been working on a set of retro looking brackets that your gonna love. I'll post some drawings of them and you can see what you think. I like one off customizing and I think it's gonna look real nice. Basically it's a weldment that looks like an original Ford part that's riveted on the frame but it's actually welded. I'm brazing large rivet heads on the steel for the look , then brazing a rib around the outside to resemble the look of being a forged/cast part. Whip a pinstripe on it and it looks like a factory part. I figure I could use it for the motor mounts and the hairpin/radius rods etc.

Mike

Yeah, between my dad and I we have lots of leftover parts and a bunch of other good used stuff. My Uncle really wants a 60's style T, so he has bought one of the old MAS bodies (cheeeep!) and we are putting in a 283 that we just re-ringed. It will have an 30's drilled I beam and an F1 sttering box and column. We are keeping track or the cost of every part (nut and bolt) so we will have a true accounting of the costs.

I'll probably start posting in a few weeks.

Man does that sound cool! Let's keep in touch and bounce ideas off each other. I have a ton of photos on file that I keep saving of anything retro etc. Really looking forward to it. I was on Wordpress.com and I think i'm gonna do a blog, and also post image links here. Wordpress is free and very user friendly.

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back