Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Budget Traditional T Build

I made a little more progress. I am continuing to mock up and pre fit things so I can get a feel for how it will go together. There are a few things I will need to modify, but overall I think it will be a relatively easy and fun build.

New 15x5 front wheels.

My ebay Vega box fits

I won't be able to use this upper steering arm

Getting a feel for how it will look...

If those are Wheel Vintiques wheels, make sure you have them checked for runout before you mount any tires on them. The QC over there isn't the greatest.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked them and they're fine.

Hey guys. I just scored a good running 350 Chevy engine out of a '73 pickup for $400. I have the idea of maybe selling the donor car as a runner and make a few bucks on it since I got it cheap. I can maybe make at least $500-$700 on it so it should pay for most of the driveline for the T. I have a good cheap trans in my sights too.

I'd rather have a 350 over a 305 anyway. Hey, it's not an original idea, but it's cheap!

I'll post pics when I get it...

It clears ok. It just has the drag link sitting too high in the front for my taste. To avoid bump steer, it should be as parallel with the radius rod as possible. Once the weight of the engine gets in there, it will be even worse. I realize that there isn't a lot of suspension travel and the bump steer will be minimal, but I'm just very particular about these things....

I have an arm coming that is about 1-1/2" lower. That should do it.

I have the new (old) 350 in the shop. The seller delivered the greasy mess to me Friday..

I degreased it and cleaned it up...it doesn't look much different, but it's a lot cleaner...

I stripped it down and it actually looks pretty clean inside and the plugs look pretty good. I think I'll install some new plugs, wires, gaskets, valve stem seals, etc., pretty it up and run it!

Got the front wheels painted too...I'll get tires this week...

Well, it turns out the great deal on the engine wasn't so great after all. While checking it out, I found an exhaust valve leaking bad when I pressurized the cylinder. It looks burnt or almost there. I dropped the heads off at the machinist yesterday for a valve job. And a lobe on the cam was wiped. Soooo, the engine now sits in a pile and there goes the budget. Fortunately the pistons and cylinders look pretty good with almost no wear apparent, so I should be able to get away with a quick hone, rings, bearings, cam lifters....

Fortunately, SBC stuff is cheap!

Well, it turns out the great deal on the engine wasn't so great after all. While checking it out, I found an exhaust valve leaking bad when I pressurized the cylinder. It looks burnt or almost there. I dropped the heads off at the machinist yesterday for a valve job. And a lobe on the cam was wiped. Soooo, the engine now sits in a pile and there goes the budget. Fortunately the pistons and cylinders look pretty good with almost no wear apparent, so I should be able to get away with a quick hone, rings, bearings, cam lifters....

Fortunately, SBC stuff is cheap!

Been there, done that, and I have the T-shirt! Mine was the #7 Exhaust valve lobe. Your pickup and oil pump are probably gone too. This is hot rodding! lol

You can get rebuild kits cheap online, seals,oil pump,rings,bearings, etc. depending on what you want or can change. you've got it torn down that far, change as much as you can. It's worth the wait to do everything if budget is the issue. I.M.O.

Yes thanks. While it's torn apart, I will definitely go through it. I'm going to bring the block to have it cleaned, honed, and new cam bearings & freeze plugs installed. The good news is my buddy has a good set of heads with low mileage that he will let me have for $50. That will definitely help.

When you put it back together be sure to put plenty assembly lube on the cam, and use some break in additive in your oil. Two years ago my son rebuilt a 350sbc and didn't think about break in additive for a flat tappet engine, took one day and the cam was wiped out.

Yes, thanks. I just had to break in a new cam in a 440 Mopar I built. I used assembly lube everywhere on the cam and broke it in with Brad Penn break-in oil as well as Comp cams additive. Not taking any chances! lol. It went well, so I will use that procedure again.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back