Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My ProjecTee

Those look like Pontiac lens to me, not Chevy.

Jim

Going with the Junkman on the lights. Sure glad, cause the 50s chebby would be ugly with a capital ugh! Those are good looking lights.

I made a mistake on the manufacturer of the lights but I scored big on the actual lights. Cadillac , Chevrolet , Buick , Pontiac & Oldsmobile are all made by General Motors Corporation. So , i'm kinda right. LOL !! Here's some more photos guys.DSCN0670.JPG DSCN0671.JPG DSCN0672.JPG DSCN0673.JPG DSCN0674.JPG DSCN0675.JPG

What is the material of the rectangular pieces with the round holes in them? Did someone cut the 2 big holes in the tail gate?

The material is fiberglass. It's three layers of 3/4 oz. mat. All you need is a flat surface & carnauba wax. I needed a flat piece of fiberglass so , I made some. The area on the tailgate was cut out for 64 mustang tail lights. I cut around the area intended for the mustang tail lights. I filled the hole back in with the flat fiberglass panel. I first made a template from an empty cereal box. I used an actual 50 Pontiac tail light gasket for my tail light hole pattern. I laid up a 15" x 13" piece of 3/4 oz. mat ( I used 3 layers ). The piece was large enough to do both sides. I laid my template on top of the fiberglass sheet & drew around it with a sharpie. I flipped the template over & drew around it again. I cut both patterns out. I taped the 2 patterns on the tailgate & also drew around them. I removed the 2 patterns. I cut along the black sharpie lines & removed the 2 pieces of the original tailgates fiberglass. I taped my 2 new pieces in place & applied epoxy glue. When the glue dried I glassed my2 new pieces into place. VOILA !!

Glad I could be helpful rubicon. My fiberglassing methods require a lot of sanding & some body filler. Sanding this itchy stuff is NOT a fun thing to do. I still have to make a partition between the gas tank & the battery ( located in the pickup bed.

I made a partition out of fiberglass & installed it between the battery box & gas tank. More photos tomorrow.

I can only guess at the dimensions of your fuel tank. Guessing 12 x 12 x 36. About 22 gallons. Please let me know the dimensions so I can grade my guess.

It's a 10 gallon tank. The end piece is 9 1/2" x 9 1/2". The length is about 30"s. I bought it from RPM. I have to add 1" to the sides of the bed. This will make the bed be 17"s long instead of 16"s. I needed more space inside the bed. Clearance for the back of the tail lights. The gas tank was too close. Electric spark + gasoline = BOOM !! Boom NOT good...… LOL!!

Last edited:
Donny if you run a Odyssey PC680 battery that battery box will be about 3 inches wide. Then you would have lots more room.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back