Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Need a Spindle Recommendation

rbsWELDER

All,

I continue to refine the design of my planned build. I have been giving some thought to the front end and I was wondering if there is a consensus on which spindles to use. I did do some research on the T-bucket manufacturers sites and I found the following offerings:

Source Spindle
RPM Chevy & Ford
CCR '37-41 Ford Forged
Wintec 1937-1941 Ford
Spirit '37-'41 Ford Spindles
Speedway 1928-1948 Ford Forged

I guess that front brakes may be the lynch pin in this decision, so what are your thoughts (Application, Use, Price, Ease of finding replacement parts, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
aka rbswelder"

Mark,

My only thought would to be to make sure they were machined from a forging. My second thought is personal but that would be to make sure they were built in this country. Not so much about quality on this point but it is about supporting countries that have zero interest in our future. I don't wish to start a verbal war here and I know Mike won't allow that. Just my personal feelings.

George

Ron at RPM is absolutely great he answers all questions and guides you also I wouldnt have a second thought of using him
and he is a sponsor here I've used him a lot lately
john

One thing to consider is the style of your car. If you want the old school look with drums the ford spindles are much easier to get complete brake kits for them but still more pricey than disk kits. Price wise for discs brakes the spindle/brake kits are pretty much the same for ford vs Chevy. I got the Chevy spindle and brake kit from RPM and it took about 30 minutes to bolt them on just for mock up. Piece of cake, and the rotors, bearings, calipers and pads are mid size gm and in stock at every parts store on the planet.

I'll echo what Dale said.....I'm running Chevy, but would have no issue doing Ford either.

I just reworked my fronts and assembled components from about 3 companies to get what I wanted. But it worked fine.

There are lot's of kits available for either flavor.

20140531_202552.jpg
Speedway chevy/mustang rotors

image.jpg
image.jpg
This is the chevy spindle mid gm setup with a one piece steering arm for drag link and tie rod that Ron at RPM made for me. The frame is only 5" high in the front so the tie rod would hit the front perch, and I didn't want it in front. The Ackerman is near perfect with these. They may not work with a higher frame, but just to show you he can build your arms for just about any configuration you need.

Hey Dale thats a great piece I believe thats the next item I'll be talking to Ron about
john
I'm pretty sure I remember Ron saying he had a one piece design with the tie rod up front as well if you don't have the clearance to do it behind the axle, And you can still get the Ackerman pretty close. I just really like the look of the tie rod up high behind the axle. That and the hairpins are going to be about the only chrome on the chassis so it should stand out nicely. It does limit your choice of headlight and shock placement with the bar across the front of the radiator (so I found out the hard way). My plan is to mount the headlights close behind the tie rod and sort of mimic the look of the model A headlight bar. (It sounds good in my head, but this if my first scratch build so we will see.....my drawing looked good! :thumbsup:)

If I can offer some advice here and this is only personal, when mounting your headlights, keep them in line (side view) or slightly ahead of the radiator, otherwise it gives it a bit of a "nosey" look like a track T. Have a look around at some T's next time you at a Show and make up your own mind. Cheers

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back