Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Non "quick uptake" front disk brake options

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What options do I have for reasonably priced front disk brake kits for early ford spindles, that do not require a fast uptake master cylinder? I know Speedway sells a Mustang-II/Pinto kit for their track roadsters, but they are for Chevy spindles. The pre-metric GM setups seem overkill for a small/light car with a V6 as I'm planning.

The thing with brakes is, too much and you can ease them back with apportioning valves or pedal ratio. Not enough and disaster awaits. Quick take-up merely refers to the master cylinder having the facility to give an inital shot of fluid to put the pads in contact with the disc before the braking hydraulic pressure is applied. This gives nice short pedal travel, and I for one value short brake pedal travel that comes up hard.

Further to my last, the word merely doesn't work very well. Quick take up is usually used where the cylinder ratios are high i.e. the piston in the master cylinder is small with respect to the piston in the caliper. Because the fluid shot from the small master is not enough for the big volume caliper, on initial brake application the master gives it a big low pressure shot first to fill the caliper. Hence "quick take up", the brake pedal takes up after a short travel.
Because any unused low pressure fluid bleeds off before the line pressure rises to apply braking, quick take up masters can be used for a variety of caliper cylinder volumes, just that someone who knows what he's about needs to OK whatever the application is and verify its a safe solution. Theres the key.

What options do I have for reasonably priced front disk brake kits for early ford spindles, that do not require a fast uptake master cylinder? I know Speedway sells a Mustang-II/Pinto kit for their track roadsters, but they are for Chevy spindles. The pre-metric GM setups seem overkill for a small/light car with a V6 as I'm planning.

I'm sure there are variations of the same GM caliper that doesn't require a "quick take up" master...but I can't remember exactly what they were for!
The body of the caliper is the same regardless...but the QTU piston was cut with a slightly different seal groove and a different seal as well, if I remember correctly.
Idea being that the caliper piston has to flex the seal more to activate braking and when the pedal is let go the seal makes the piston retract more and the pads don't slightly drag as they do with a regular caliper. Better fuel mileage as a result.
Use a regular master with QTU calipers and you get a very low or double pump pedal for braking.

If you're looking for something besides that style GM caliper, I'm wondering if any others were QTU style?
Did other makes even use variations of the QTU caliper and Master cyl???

WHOA...just realized this is a full year old!!! Sorry!

No need for sorry...it's still good info to have. I still have not made the leap one way or another. I may still go with a Chevy spindle/axle set up with the Mustang-II/Pinto brakes. This is one of the many decisions I'm putting off until absolutely necessary...or I run across a deal I can't refuse....LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back