Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

nose,hood and hood sides for track T

gsspangler

Has anyone found a hood,hood sides and nose for a track T what will allow a V-8 to be used. I know that superior glass works has a hood,hood sides and nose that will work but the cost is a little high and the shipping will cost me a little to much.Speedway motors has several noses and hood that will fit the car, but when I called them they sayed that with this set up is use with a 4-cylinder or a 60degree 6-cylinder. If anyone can help me with is, and if you have pictures that would be great.
Thank you greg

Many of the Old T's with a hood had blisters in the hood to cover the heads and valve covers. Hoods and side pannels are really easy to make out of aluminum. You can actually shape louvers with hardwood dies too. Not far from me is a late '20's dirt roadster with a nos made from a pair of '40 Ford front fenders.

Ron

Deckofficer is running a track nose and hood on his. Here it is.

gsspangler,

If your intent is going for the "sleeper" look, then you will want the hood and sides so narrow that eveyone assumes it has to be a 4 banger. Certain consessions have to be made that might be more of a pain in the butt than you are willing to go through for that innocent look. Engine mounted low in the frame rails (much improved cornering) but you have to go to custom made oil pans. Of course you won't have room for a standard size alternator, but our T's don't have much electrical loads and I like those new mini alternators. Mine is normal size because it was built 17 years ago, before the mini's.

Bob

DSC013281014x760.jpg

If you notice Bob is running a fan shroud too. something you will need with a full hood and side pannels.

Ron

If you notice Bob is running a fan shroud too. something you will need with a full hood and side pannels.

Ron
Ron is right. The radiator is really small that fits into a track nose (again designed for the cooling requirements of a 4 banger) and LOTS of louvers.

Bob

I would love to see Bob's T with a regular grill shell on it, Model A, 32?? as they have a much bigger air intake opening, plus I like the shorter look myself, not that Bob's looks bad, he has a great little car there, and drives it! :)

Mines a '27 with a speedway hood and nose..I made my sides from 1/8" aluminum.
The little scoops are not just air flow but also covers the first header tube (block huggers)
A '65 mustang radiator fits great and the inlet and outlet work with a SBC..
Twash2-2.jpg

You can make them fit--my Pop's '27 had a track nose, hood and side panels when he bought it. It had a SBC with dual quads. The biggest issue that most track T's have is cooling. A tiny radiator leaned over doesn't cool worth a damn. Dad messed with his for a while and finally decided to change it out altogether with a chopped 32 grille. See the before (on day of purchase) and this summer on the road. I do like the Track look and several on this board have nailed it. On the other side, I've seen some that just didn't do it for me. BTW, if you have a speedway track T and want a hood, side panels, and a shell, he still has them in the rafters of his shed and would probably sell them!

When I designed and built my '27, I made provisions for a hood and side panels if I ever decided to run them. I'm thinking about the hood, but doubt I'll ever put on side panels.

P6100024.jpg

P6100023.jpg

P6100025.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

Ben,

Sounds like you have "been there, done that" as far as cooling a Track Nose T. I'm guessing that my radiator is less square inches than yours, as my nose is smaller and the radiator is fully vertical. As you can see, custom shroud and flex fan with as tight a tolerance to the shroud as possible. It stays cool in all driving except LA clogged summertime freeway where average speed is below 10 mph for longer than 20 minute durations. In your experiance, is this about as good as I can expect without external evap misting?

Bob

Ben,

Sounds like you have "been there, done that" as far as cooling a Track Nose T. I'm guessing that my radiator is less square inches than yours, as my nose is smaller and the radiator is fully vertical. As you can see, custom shroud and flex fan with as tight a tolerance to the shroud as possible. It stays cool in all driving except LA clogged summertime freeway where average speed is below 10 mph for longer than 20 minute durations. In your experiance, is this about as good as I can expect without external evap misting?

Bob

Bob: Your package looks well thought out. I'm not sure I'd have any advice for you there. My first project was a 23 turtle deck t that I wanted to do in the style of yours. I ended up selling it and starting the '27 to get a bit more room at the engine and interior. The 23 track T's are definitely a challenge getting everyting packaged in there!

When dad bought his it worked sort of ok with a weak 283. The radiator and grille was just not very well thought out by the previous owner. It started running hotter and hotter, so he had the rad re-cored and put on a new water pump, but the rad was just layed over too much to get any better. Dad really didn't like the nose anyway (and the bbq grille insert!) so we re-did the front end. Then he put in a 383 stroker motor and he's much happier now.

In my opinion your Dad improved that car 100%. That is one very fine looking ride!!!!

Ron

I would love to see Bob's T with a regular grill shell on it, Model A, 32?? as they have a much bigger air intake opening, plus I like the shorter look myself, not that Bob's looks bad, he has a great little car there, and drives it! :)
Ted,

I like your taste, and I too would like a '32 grille, but to keep the hood lines that I really like (remember I had to give up on a LS engine to keep those lines) that '32 grille would have to be scaled to fit, not just cut down. A lot of dollars, and you know me, I'd rather spend on performance and handeling upgrades than eye-candy. That doesn't win trophies at the rod and T events, but I'm hoping in the future (event insurance permitting), that we might have some performance contests.

DSC011281536x1152.jpg

Bob

Deckofficer - have any idea where your headlight/shock towers came from?

You can make them fit--my Pop's '27 had a track nose, hood and side panels when he bought it. It had a SBC with dual quads. The biggest issue that most track T's have is cooling. A tiny radiator leaned over doesn't cool worth a damn. Dad messed with his for a while and finally decided to change it out altogether with a chopped 32 grille. See the before (on day of purchase) and this summer on the road. I do like the Track look and several on this board have nailed it. On the other side, I've seen some that just didn't do it for me. BTW, if you have a speedway track T and want a hood, side panels, and a shell, he still has them in the rafters of his shed and would probably sell them!

When I designed and built my '27, I made provisions for a hood and side panels if I ever decided to run them. I'm thinking about the hood, but doubt I'll ever put on side panels.

If he still has the hood,hood sides and nose, how much would he want for them.
Thank you greg
P6100024.jpg

P6100023.jpg

P6100025.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

Ted,

Telephoto tends to compress the image but shows the lines.

Bob

DSC013001014x760.jpg
One thing you have to remember is that Bob's T is actually REALLY SMALL. The packaging on that car is like the proverbial 10 lbs. in a 5 lb. sack. I saw the picture of Bob + T on the chassis dyno and Bob really fills the car. My question to The Deckofficer is how big is the radiator opening after the grill and trim are removed. How much more of a percentage in open area is gained with those pieces gone? Do you think it would make a difference in cooling? One of the Ts that comes into the local drive in is a really nice 27 that has an extra radiator in the trunk area to supplement the radiator in front. I know it would be tough to do that in a 23 w/turtle deck, but maybe if you used a longer bed, perhaps a 40 incher or even a stock 55 incher. I don't know, just thinking.

John

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back