Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

orignal 23 T body

quasi

anyone using an orignal metal body. picked one up the other day, would like to swap it out with my fiberglass one. need info or suggestions on the inner structure, should i use a replacement wood or go with some metal tubing. info , tips ,photos, etc. thanks guys

I have 26 steel body, I have just replaced my floor (aluminum and wood) with 16 ga sheet metal. I have 4 pieces, the main floor, the one that slants up to the firewall, and two pieces that go up against the doors. My body was a touring car and was cut down to make it a bucket. I have mine torn down for paint and body work right now and it seemed like a perfect time to change out the flooring. Not sure how diffrent a 23 would be from a 26? I have attaced a pic during teardown.

Attachments

• DSCN5559.JPG
    DSCN5559.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 92
looks good clamper. looking for inner frame work bracing. gotta hang the door on passenger side. just a bit flimsy. maybe some tubing around the upper body.

There are a couple ways to use metal reinforcing in your body.

1.) Use ligher ga tubing to build new supports inside your body. 16g. would be the heaviest you'll need. It's fairly easy to shape with a dead blow hammer too.

2.) Add 16ga. sheeting to the inside of the panels i.e. doors and quarter panels. At high stress areas, add 10 or 12 ga. gussets.

Wood is an option but the metal won't decay.

I have a '19 body that will be recieving the sheet metal method.

Ron

I think i would install some tubing from side to side like down the inside of where the door latch would be across under seat and up the other side mabye twice with a 1/8 plate between both tubes on each side.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back