Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Plastic windshields?!

PotvinGuy

Staff member
Anyone have experience with using acrylic or other plastic as windshield material? Suggestions, warnings, sources, etc?

Anyone have experience with using acrylic or other plastic as windshield material? Suggestions, warnings, sources, etc?

I think you'll find that in most states, if not all, it's illegal. and for good reason I recon'

Russ

Russ, is correct. The Federal Law is automotive safety glass has to be used in the windshield. I do think it is legal to use other materials in the rear and side windows. Another thing is I would bet it would scratch pretty easy.

I don't have any experience with using it as a windshield, but this track roadster was at the nationals this year using it.

IMGP7971.jpg

IMGP7960.jpg

IMGP7958.jpg

Bill,

Can you show us more of that car?

Judging by the windshield. I'd say this car has more to offer.

Talked to a glass shop yesterday the biggest reason other than government is is scratches real easy.Glass is actually cheaper price lexan it is kinda pricey.

Old R.F. , how to maintenance people take care of the scratches on helicopter windshields ? Are their canopies that expensive? All things being relative.

John

Polycabonate is light and not nearly so brittle as glass, so it will absorb impact better. But you have to be really careful with it, because it will scratch up in a heartbeat. And trying to see through scratched polycarbonate at night is like looking through a prism, as soon as light hits it.

Polycabonate is light and not nearly so brittle as glass, so it will absorb impact better. But you have to be really careful with it, because it will scratch up in a heartbeat. And trying to see through scratched polycarbonate at night is like looking through a prism, as soon as light hits it.

I used lexan in my Topoliono (as a screen). Apparently its 'bullet proof' so my way of thinking was if the engine launched then at least my face would survive. It does scratch easily and Mike has hit the spot with that one. In sunlight it scatters light and VISION everywhere
Gerry

If RPM is reading this one, he'll get a chuckle out of it.

We used two layers of polycarbonate between the dyno test cell and the control room. Somebody had hurt a dry sump motor and we had a wall-mounted tank, close to the window. So, it got a misting of oil. The boss' daughter (are you with me here, Ron?) was cleaning up and sprayed aerosol carb cleaner on the polycarbonate to clean it. :rofl: She couldn't understand why bullet-proof "glass" couldn't take a bit of carb cleaner. It was like looking through milky spots, trying to see into the test cell. :rolleyes:

Reactions: RPM
Back in the day (about 1960) we used plexiglas for a windshield on this little car. The results were less than desirable. At about 40 mph, it would bow in the middle to the point that someone had to push back to keep it from really serious failure. Of course the design of the windshield frame didn't offer any assistance with this little problem. It was a piece of 3/4" round rod with 4 tabs welded on for the plexiglas to bolt to. When the plastic started to bow, the upper ends of the frame got closer together.

As has been mentioned, scratches were nearly impossible to avoid and the large surface reflected the lights of trailing cars very well.

Just a couple of dumb kids that didn't know any better.

Windshield.jpg

There is a plastic polish used on aircraft windows to take out scratches most of which occur from dirt kicked up by props and blades. It should be available at aircraftspruce.com.

Mequiar's has a kit used to restore plastic headlight lenses - It's cleverly named Headlight Restoration Kit. I've used it on my Outback and it works well. You can get it at most auto parts places.

Around here they don't use salt on the roads in winter. They used decomposed granite. That's tough on headlights and windshields but that sure beats the rust we had back in Wisconsin from the salt.

I uploaded about 100 pictures of that car a while back on my photobucket account.

http://s180.photobuc...ck%20roadsters/

What a gorgeous T. Loads of great little touches. Especially like the deco clock in the rear view.
Although it would nt be cheap you could get a glass screen done like that (simple bend and some grinding to get the shape of the top edge). They produce the shape and bend and then have it tempered.
Gerry

Gerry UK said:
Something that thick in polycarb.or plex. would take heat and a large sheet metal brake to
form the lip. In 30 yrs. of forming plastics I've done many shapes and if you have the equip. they are easy to form.

Also,you cannot temper the plastic after. Plex will shatter into pieces when hit, polycarb. while strong will crack
if it is bent back and forth at lot from vibration. or at a bolt hole over time.
You also have to remember that polycarb. will expand 1/4" for every 10" of width in the sun.
plex will expand a little less.

Something that thick in polycarb.or plex. would take heat and a large sheet metal brake to
form the lip. In 30 yrs. of forming plastics I've done many shapes and if you have the equip. they are easy to form.

Also,you cannot temper the plastic after. Plex will shatter into pieces when hit, polycarb. while strong will crack
if it is bent back and forth at lot from vibration. or at a bolt hole over time.
You also have to remember that polycarb. will expand 1/4" for every 10" of width in the sun.
plex will expand a little less.

Hi
If you look at my post it says GLASS not plastic. We used to have screens and rear windows cut, ground and then tempered in GLASS for a convertible version of a VW Beetle called a Wizard. The guy who did this for us mentioned he could get the glass bent or cruved before the tempering process if we needed it.
Gerry

Sorry Gerry, Didn't read everything posted.... Me Bad :spank:

Sorry Gerry, Didn't read everything posted.... Me Bad :spank:

You GOOD, just had a lapse of concentration, I do that every hour or so, ask my wife
G

What a gorgeous T. Loads of great little touches. Especially like the deco clock in the rear view.
Although it would nt be cheap you could get a glass screen done like that (simple bend and some grinding to get the shape of the top edge). They produce the shape and bend and then have it tempered.
Gerry
One thing I did notice, that the radiator is not getting as much air into that small opening as needed, overheating and over flow onto the ground, that is embarrassing when it happened to me ONCE! :) Those noses on the track Ts need a good air scoop at the underside as well, could also have two nice looking scoops on each side?? Hot engines are a beach hehe :) PS. remember this, air takes the path of least resistance... thats around, rather than through...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back