Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Purple Powder Pickup

Well that engine that is in the first photo is finally in the chassis! Big milestone today. The last few weeks we've been assembling the chassis: Hanging the axles, assembling the rear axles, brakes, and steering components. We also painted the headlight buckets, transmission, rear shocks, and a few other parts painted purple to match the body. Today we got the two stuck together and properly installed in the chassis. Here are a few pics from today. Dennis is pretty stoked about finally getting the drivetrain in.

The engine and frame looks great. One Question does the paint burn off the engine or is it long lasting?

We've always painted our engines with automotive body paint - never had an issue. The blue on my '27 has been on for about 7 years. Like the body, prep is key!

Clean to bare metal, scuff with sandpaper/scotchbrite, clean with lacquer thinner until the rags stop picking up dirt. Let air dry and then a coat of self etching primer. Once the primer is fully dry/cured, lightly scuff with fine scotchbrite, then apply paint per instructions. On trans, we typically use a zinc chromate primer for the aluminum.

Thanks for all the great replies. We're still at it - We didn't make Mountain Home, but we're planning on debuting the car at the Missouri Mini-Nats in early September. The chassis is together and we're getting it done at a pretty decent pace. We have everything we need and we're accomplishing tasks pretty well. The last few weeks we finished up most of the plumbing, got the driveshaft shortened and installed, and started on the body reinforcing. We also received the tunnel from RPM and trimmed to fit. We'll get it glassed in this week. Here are a few pics:

Ben you going to make it to Pigeon Forge?

Don't think so - We're going to need every Saturday to get this build done for the Missouri Mini-Nats. We'll try to make it next year. With the T bucket Nats in July next year, are you moving your event to June or?

Holy smokes! You guys have more resources than most of us garage builders. What a cool build! Love the purple and silver. I'll keep watching for sure!!!!!

Graffiti, we are garage builders. My '27 and 4 other cars were built in a 1-1/2 car garage and driveway. We've been fortunate to grow our Coating business to where it will support some space for building stuff. Almost all the tools you see (besides the welders) were purchased second hand when we came across a good deal. Half of what you see is mine and the other half is Dads- we each take turns buying equipment- one piece at a time.

Thanks for checking out the build- update coming soon!

Ben, are you still thinking you will have it finished in time to go to the Mini Nats? If so, we might make the trip as well.

We're trying real hard- we're really close. Lots of little things, but we're putting in the time. We'll be there no matter what- we'll either trailer it or take dads '27.

You should definitely come. Its a great event, laid back, and good folks.

I'll update this thread later this week. I've been so busy at work and on this car, I don't have time for much else!!

You are reading my mind! - i was thinking on the way home from work that I needed to get in touch with you to see if you were making it. We're definitely going, but am sad to report that the Purple Powder Pickup will not be there. We were not able to get the title work done in time and have a few too many small loose ends. I'll PM you shortly

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back